• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Draenor Swamp Template v1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Draenor Swamp Template v1.0
by Strajder

Description
This is a template for a map using the custom Draenor Swamp tileset I created. It uses recolored Blizzard tiles, some of which I manually painted the borders of to fit better with other tiles. I used the "Swamp" tileset from WarCraft 2 as an inspiration.

Note: to also have a matching green water, you need to go to Scenario->Map Options..., check Use Water Tinting Color, click Set Color, choose "Custom" and specify the following values: Red: 19, Green: 80, Blue: 19.

Changed resources
NamePathBase tile name
Dark Rocks (Dungeon)TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_DarkRocks.blpDark Rocks (Dungeon)
Dirt (Black Citadel)TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_Dirt.blpDirt (Black Citadel)
Light Dirt (Black Citadel)TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_DirtLight.blpDirt (Black Citadel)
Dirt CliffReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff0.blpDirt Cliff
Poison (Felwood)TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_Poison.blpPoison (Felwood)
Black Citadel Tree WallReplaceableTextures\OutlandMushroomTree\MushroomTree.blpBlack Citadel Tree Wall
Flat Stones (Outland)TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_FlatStones.blpLight Flat Stones (Outland)
Light Flat Stones (Outland)TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_FlatStonesLight.blpLight Flat Stones (Outland)
RockTextures\Rock.blpRock

Custom tileset
(Advanced->Modify Tileset..., Black Citadel as base)
OrderTile NameTileset
1.DirtBlack Citadel
2.Light DirtBlack Citadel
3.Flat StonesOutland
4.Light Flat StonesOutland
5.PoisonFelwood
6.Dark RockDungeon
7.Dark TilesBlack Citadel
8.Square TilesBlack Citadel

Screenshots
249528-albums8609-picture105011.png

The inspiration for the tileset
249528-albums8609-picture104733.png

Changelog
  • 2016-01-05: Initial upload.

Credits
Original textures by Blizzard, modifications by Strajder
Tileset sample map template by Strajder

Keywords:
warcraft 2, warcraft ii, tileset, draenor, swamp, emulation, template
Contents

Draenor Swamp Template v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
10:15, 7th Mar 2016 Ardenian: For a tempate, it is too simple. One could not even create a melee map from it, the most basic map genre. Please continue working on it and improve it. You may want to check out some terraining tutorials in our...

M

10:15, 7th Mar 2016
Ardenian: For a tempate, it is too simple.
One could not even create a melee map from it, the most basic map genre.
Please continue working on it and improve it. You may want to check out some terraining tutorials in our [url="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorials/]Tutorials[/url] section regarding this.
In its current state, it is simply too ... simple.

Level 17
Lacks some decoration, but not bad. I like the contrast between rocks and the terrain. Can be recalled as a start for terraining. For now 2/5.

Some suggestions:

- Map too small for a map, unless the map is a cinematic, short one. CAN be bigger, but not a disaster.
- Tree variation can prove useful.
- More decoration can be a good idea, like grasses, bushes, Archways, etc.
- NEVER USE BLIZZARD CLIFFS. They look ugly, really ugly. You can replace them using the raise tool and other stuff + some pathing blockers.

Level 4
I like Blizzard cliffs. Never understood why some don't seem to like them. They go with the overall look and feel of the game. The game looked "blocky", even at the time of the release.

As I already stated, this is a quick showcase of the tileset.