• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

255 Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I know it is possible. Some guy was posting how he did it eariler.

Its about changing the ability validator or requirement or something and making sure the upgrade uses logic which will support infinite or that many levels.

As for upgrade cost... Try the abilities which the structures involved use to reasearch the upgrades. The cost fields probabbly are there if not in the upgrade data type.

Level 2
In the upgrade object, there is a field called Max Level. Change this to 255 (if you want 255 levels). If you want the upgrade to get more expensive/take more time to research with each level, you can actually use the upgrade itself to do that. Just add an effect to the upgrade that changes the research ability that contains the upgrade (note this will make the editor lag like hell, but it won't make it crash or anything, so just be patient), and in the appropriate index just change the cost and time fields.

If you want the button for the upgrade to disappear after it's reached max level, then make a new Requirement. Under "show" add the following nodes:

-Not
- Greater Than Or Equal To
-Count Upgrade: [your upgrade] Queued or Better
-Constant
- [the maximum level]
Now go to the ability that contains your upgrade and add that requirement to your upgrade.

If any of this is confusing (it probably is) feel free to reply/pm me or something.

In the upgrade object, there is a field called Max Level. Change this to 255 (if you want 255 levels). If you want the upgrade to get more expensive/take more time to research with each level, you can actually use the upgrade itself to do that. Just add an effect to the upgrade that changes the research ability that contains the upgrade (note this will make the editor lag like hell, but it won't make it crash or anything, so just be patient), and in the appropriate index just change the cost and time fields.

If you want the button for the upgrade to disappear after it's reached max level, then make a new Requirement. Under "show" add the following nodes:

-Not
- Greater Than Or Equal To
-Count Upgrade: [your upgrade] Queued or Better
-Constant
- [the maximum level]
Now go to the ability that contains your upgrade and add that requirement to your upgrade.

If any of this is confusing (it probably is) feel free to reply/pm me or something.

Im stuck at first sentence: "In the Upgrade object there is a field called Max Level........"

I know it is possible. Some guy was posting how he did it eariler.

Its about changing the ability validator or requirement or something and making sure the upgrade uses logic which will support infinite or that many levels.

As for upgrade cost... Try the abilities which the structures involved use to reasearch the upgrades. The cost fields probabbly are there if not in the upgrade data type.

Yeah I read something in another forum, but it didn't make any sense, only the person himself could manage to do it, he didnt explain that good..

The ability validator is where I have been looking and testing different stuff at most, my upgrade can support infinite upgrades now BUT they dont do anything, only the first time I press the button ingame +1 attack, then nothing..

Level 2
Im stuck at first sentence: "In the Upgrade object there is a field called Max Level........"

In the Data Editor, go to the Upgrades tab, then click on your upgrade. If you have table view off, there is a field called "Max Level" just under "Affected Unit Array" and "Flags". If you have table view on, it's in the middle (the fields are sorted alphabetically). This "max level" field determines how many levels the upgrade has.

In the Data Editor, go to the Upgrades tab, then click on your upgrade. If you have table view off, there is a field called "Max Level" just under "Affected Unit Array" and "Flags". If you have table view on, it's in the middle (the fields are sorted alphabetically). This "max level" field determines how many levels the upgrade has.

Gaaaaah, SC2 just keeps on crashing all the time hard to edit stuff in data editor..
Srsly, SC2 editor is a time-ticking bomb as soon as you open it..

Oh well, I'll just keep on trying by being more careful, cant touch to many things on my way to that "Max level"

Atleast I saw it this time and know where to go! :D

Just have to be careful about the traps and wires on my way there :p

EDIT: Here is what I got now, but it still doesn't work, I can click the button 100 times but my Marine doesn't get any upgrades;
damp.jpg

How many hours have I been trying to get this to work now?
I can tell you by one strove of sentence: - Im chewing on my desk, its made of wood, tastes like coffee and ciggarettes!

The map Im making: HGMA Defense >> Hydras Ghosts Marines Archons Defense
And as you know its impossible to make without upgrades, if ur familiar with SC1 custom maps

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Please show what the upgrade effects are set to. I advise table view as it is much easier to edit instead of wastefully placed cluky fields.

You must get the upgrade to ADD +1 to the marine damage effect quantity field so the marine gains damage. It must be the effect the marine weapon uses to deal damage. To upgrade the displayed weapon level you are adding +1 to the display visual level which is unrelated to the actual statistics of the unit.

What is cool is upgrades can alter any effect. You could even make the hellion longer ranged, or archon splash bigger etc. Further more you can boost the damage output towards super effective armor types by altering the right fields.

The key points to note are that the actual upgrading is done by the table of modifications. The affected unit array purly makes sure that existing units get the upgrade applied to them (this saves computational resources instead of having to rebuild every unit on the map).

Where is the upgrade effects?
What is cluky field?
How do I get the upgrade to ADD +1 to the "marine damage effect"
Where is the "marine damage effect" ?
What is the display-weapon level and the display visual level?
How can I change the upgrades to a cool thing like longer range or bigger splash?
Still have no idea of what Im doing, have you realized how to make more then 4 upgrades on ex Terran Infantry weapons?

Please show what the upgrade effects are set to. I advise table view as it is much easier to edit instead of wastefully placed cluky fields.

You must get the upgrade to ADD +1 to the marine damage effect quantity field so the marine gains damage. It must be the effect the marine weapon uses to deal damage. To upgrade the displayed weapon level you are adding +1 to the display visual level which is unrelated to the actual statistics of the unit.

What is cool is upgrades can alter any effect. You could even make the hellion longer ranged, or archon splash bigger etc. Further more you can boost the damage output towards super effective armor types by altering the right fields.

The key points to note are that the actual upgrading is done by the table of modifications. The affected unit array purly makes sure that existing units get the upgrade applied to them (this saves computational resources instead of having to rebuild every unit on the map).

I have no idea of what people talk about, you tell me to go here and a little there, but no directions
The editor is HUGE!! Cant find what everyone talk about..

If u say:
"1. Go to Data editor
2. Go to Data type: Units
3. Go to hydralisk
4. Go to "Behaviour - Damage dealt" and change X"

Then I would totally understand

Am I in the right place:
watdamp.jpg

"Marine damage effect" = 0 result
kukenihålet.jpg

Level 2
Ok, step by step instructions on how to make an upgrade with 255 levels, with each level increasing a (default) Marine's damage by 1:

1. Go to the Upgrades tab in the Data Editor.
  2. Right-click anywhere in the upgrades list and select Add Object.
  3. Give it w/e name and ID you want, base it on "Default Upgrade", and the rest of the boxes don't really matter. At the bottom, select "Set to parent value" and click ok.
  4. Turn on table view (just so the rest of these instructions make sense).
  5. In your new upgrade, double-click on the field labeled "Effects+". A pop-up window will appear.
  6. In the box at the top, right-click and select "Add Effect".
  7. For the new effect, make it of type "Effect".
  8. In the "Object" field, select Marine - Guass [sic] Rifle (Damage)".
  9. Now in the box labeled "Field" select the very first line that's labeled "Amount".
  10. For "Operation" select Add.
  11. For "Value" put in 1.
  12. Now exit out of the "Effects+" pop-up and go back to your upgrade, now double-click on the field "Affected Unit Array". A pop-up window will appear.
  13. Right-click in the box and select "Add Value". Now make the new value equal to "Marine".
  14. Exit out of the "Affected Unit Array" pop-up.
  15. In the field labeled "Max Level" input 255.

Now add that upgrade to w/e research ability you want, give it a default button, put that ability and button on a unit, and there you go.

If you want the upgrade to also increase the level of the unit's attack (that number that appears in the corner of the weapon icon in the UI when you select a unit), then in the upgrade add another effect of type "weapon", and make it add 1 to the field "Level".

I've attached a picture of what the upgrade should look like in it's finished stage (I didnt' use table view cuz it's hard to show everything in one screenshot in that mode).

Attachments

• foo.png
    foo.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 268
Ok, step by step instructions on how to make an upgrade with 255 levels, with each level increasing a (default) Marine's damage by 1:

1. Go to the Upgrades tab in the Data Editor.
  2. Right-click anywhere in the upgrades list and select Add Object.
  3. Give it w/e name and ID you want, base it on "Default Upgrade", and the rest of the boxes don't really matter. At the bottom, select "Set to parent value" and click ok.
  4. Turn on table view (just so the rest of these instructions make sense).
  5. In your new upgrade, double-click on the field labeled "Effects+". A pop-up window will appear.
  6. In the box at the top, right-click and select "Add Effect".
  7. For the new effect, make it of type "Effect".
  8. In the "Object" field, select Marine - Guass [sic] Rifle (Damage)".
  9. Now in the box labeled "Field" select the very first line that's labeled "Amount".
  10. For "Operation" select Add.
  11. For "Value" put in 1.
  12. Now exit out of the "Effects+" pop-up and go back to your upgrade, now double-click on the field "Affected Unit Array". A pop-up window will appear.
  13. Right-click in the box and select "Add Value". Now make the new value equal to "Marine".
  14. Exit out of the "Affected Unit Array" pop-up.
  15. In the field labeled "Max Level" input 255.

Now add that upgrade to w/e research ability you want, give it a default button, put that ability and button on a unit, and there you go.

If you want the upgrade to also increase the level of the unit's attack (that number that appears in the corner of the weapon icon in the UI when you select a unit), then in the upgrade add another effect of type "weapon", and make it add 1 to the field "Level".

I've attached a picture of what the upgrade should look like in it's finished stage (I didnt' use table view cuz it's hard to show everything in one screenshot in that mode).

Pure awesomeness, then how can we add this custom upgrade-ability to a structure?
(To be able to click the button in-game?)

Level 2
Ask and ye shall receive:

1. Go to ability tab -> right-click -> Add Object -> Ability Type: Research, Based On: Default Ability (CAbilResearch), Set to Parent Value, rest of fields up to you.
  2. (With Table View On) Double-click on Info+ -> Double-click on "Research 01".
  3. Set "Info - Button - Default Button" to w/e button you want.
  4. Scroll ALL the way down to "Info - Upgrade" and select your upgrade.
  5. There's other stuff here you can change, for example: Tech Resource Cost would be the cost to research the upgrade, Info - Time would be how long the research takes to complete, and Requirements would be...well...the requirements that need to be fulfilled before you can research the upgrade.
  6. Hit Ok, then Ok again.
  7. Go to the unit tab, and select the unit you want to research the upgrade from.
  8. Double-click "Abilities+" -> Right-Click -> Add Value -> select the research ability with your upgrade that you just made. Hit Ok.
  9. Double-click "Command Card+" -> Select w/e position you want your button to be in -> Right-click in the "Buttons" box below -> Add Button -> Select that button you chose for the "default button" back when you were making the research ability.
  10. With your new button selected, for the field "Command Type" make it "Ability Command", for "Ability" select the research ability and for "Ability Command" select your default button for your upgrade (if you have multiple upgrades in that research ability, the names of the default buttons for those upgrades will show up here instead of the names of the upgrades, fyi).

You are now done.

Now, if you actually research that sucker 255 times, you'll notice that the button for the research still remains, and you can still "research" the upgrade except it has no effect. If you want to know how to fix that problem let me know.

Ask and ye shall receive:

1. Go to ability tab -> right-click -> Add Object -> Ability Type: Research, Based On: Default Ability (CAbilResearch), Set to Parent Value, rest of fields up to you.
  2. (With Table View On) Double-click on Info+ -> Double-click on "Research 01".
  3. Set "Info - Button - Default Button" to w/e button you want.
  4. Scroll ALL the way down to "Info - Upgrade" and select your upgrade.
  5. There's other stuff here you can change, for example: Tech Resource Cost would be the cost to research the upgrade, Info - Time would be how long the research takes to complete, and Requirements would be...well...the requirements that need to be fulfilled before you can research the upgrade.
  6. Hit Ok, then Ok again.
  7. Go to the unit tab, and select the unit you want to research the upgrade from.
  8. Double-click "Abilities+" -> Right-Click -> Add Value -> select the research ability with your upgrade that you just made. Hit Ok.
  9. Double-click "Command Card+" -> Select w/e position you want your button to be in -> Right-click in the "Buttons" box below -> Add Button -> Select that button you chose for the "default button" back when you were making the research ability.
  10. With your new button selected, for the field "Command Type" make it "Ability Command", for "Ability" select the research ability and for "Ability Command" select your default button for your upgrade (if you have multiple upgrades in that research ability, the names of the default buttons for those upgrades will show up here instead of the names of the upgrades, fyi).

You are now done.

Now, if you actually research that sucker 255 times, you'll notice that the button for the research still remains, and you can still "research" the upgrade except it has no effect. If you want to know how to fix that problem let me know.

I did everything you wrote, but doesn't have any effect on my marine
Maybe this is lacking somewhere?
dosnwork.jpg
Oh well, I'll try doing this again
Crashes and crashes and crashes... Fucking beta editor
Edit: 2 more crashes, I cant do this, editor sucks, fucking over sensitive bomb

EDIT: If someone succeed with this, can you upload the map here so I can check it out?

Last edited:
The beta editor is no longer supported and acording to the ToU the beta should have been uninstalled the moment the beta ended. Please buy the game if you want to make custom mods and maps.

Oh its not? Well lucky me I dont use beta editor, I just call it beta editor because it crashes all the time, like beta versions do

I bought my copy of sc2 the first day it came out

The editor really needs a HUGE update when it comes to crashes
Im way above average of system settings for sc2 and recently installed windows and formated the drive, so its not my computer's fault

I have sent above 50 crash errors to Blizzard

EDIT: wangbot I have been doing what you wrote in your "tutorial" 5 times now, even in a completely new fresh map, it just doesn't work, I think you forgot to mention some important value

The icon and everything works, but the Marine doesn't get the upgrade

Cheers

P.S
Yes t'would be awesome

Last edited:
Level 9
The fields I modified on the upgrades for Lvl 3 Terran Inf weapons: Upgrade Level Max, and thats all, in the Abilities tab, the only other things I modified for Engineering bay research other than Time and Resource needed for the upgrades was removing the Requirement Learn Level 3 Terran Weapons (set it to None) from the Level 3 Upgrade.

The fields I modified on the upgrades for Lvl 3 Terran Inf weapons: Upgrade Level Max, and thats all, in the Abilities tab, the only other things I modified for Engineering bay research other than Time and Resource needed for the upgrades was removing the Requirement Learn Level 3 Terran Weapons (set it to None) from the Level 3 Upgrade.

I've noticed why my upgrade never worked, I put max level on 255
Seems like it only works with max level 100 and below

If anyone can make it work with 255, let me know
Upgrade to level 100 is ok tho, not complaining.. Its just, I mean SC1 editor (x-tra editor) could handle 255 upgrades..

Level 9
Oh my your are correct, but why not just make a duplicate of the ability and have it shown after the first 100 are done, thereby making it 200. Worked for my marine in that quick little map I did.

Level 1
Hey guys.
I just found a way to do it properly, to have up to 300 upgrades, and remove the icon when upgrades are no more available.

You have to edit the requirements(Data > Type > Requirements)

Terran infantry weapons level 1 > requirements+
Under the "show" field, modify "equal to" to "less than" and modify the constant to 100, then click "Ok".

Terran infantry weapons level 2 > requirements+
Under the "use" field, modify "equal to" to "more or equal than" and modify the constant to 100.
Under the "show" field, modify "equal to" to "less than" and modify the constant to 100.

Terran infantry weapons level 3 > requirements+
Under the "use" field, modify "equal to" to "more or equal than" and modify the constant to 100.
Under the "show" field, modify "equal to" to "less than" and modify the constant to 100.

This way, (if you have modified the max level and removed the requirements, as said before) you will have 100 levels of level 1 infantry upgrade, 100 levels of level 2 infantry upgrade, and 100 levels of level 3 infantry upgrade.

I also found a way to increase the cost of the upgrade each time you use it :
Go to Data > Type > Upgrade
Select Terran infantry upgrade level 1 and double click on the field "Effect +"
Right click > Add effect
Type : ability
Object : Engineering bay (Research)
Then find the field technologic resource cost under the object Terran infantry weapons level 1 and select it.
Under the box, select "Add" and the value you want the upgrade to increase each time.

You have to do the same for the level 2 and 3 upgrades, but do not forget to set the base cost of your level 2 upgrade to (100 * increase_value + base_level_1_upgrade_value) and the base cost of your level 3 upgrade to (100 * increase_value + base_level_2_upgrade_value).

If you have any questions, or if I have not been clear enough, just say it.

Hope this will help.

>>>Aylatan

PS : I have a french version of the editor, so the names of the fields may be a bit different, I tried to make a translation as accurate as possible.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I would advise reading up the dates of the last post before posting as this thread was last posted in 3 months ago.

Requirements and validators are very powerful in SC2. Most people unlike you, however, still have problems using them properly and allow for wasted reasearches or grant access to research at unappropiate times.

Status
Not open for further replies.