• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Counterpoint

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: StoPCampinGn00b
General Info
Counterpoint is a 5 player map based on capturing circles. Around the map are five of these circles, one of which will be yours to start. After watching a brief cinematic introducing the abilities of the various heroes, you will be able to choose one and begin the map. You will have several footmen to use at the start, and every ten seconds, at each circle you control, you will be given a new footman. Killing enemy footmen and heroes will give you gold, which you can use to buy things like towers, upgrades, better units, and items.
Update Log
1.0- Initial release
1.1- Reworked terrain, fixed bugs, added Swordsmen, archers, and mortar teams. Also modified heroes slightly. The new heroes do not have cinematics yet, and there is also no way to skip the cinematics.
THESE ARE THINGS THAT WILL BE FIXED.
Screenshots
(I'm working on it.)

Keywords:
General Unclassifiable
Contents

Counterpoint (Map)

Reviews
21:00, 9th Mar 2014 Hell_Master: Could be much more formal. Fix your descriptions. Either use Map Description Generator (requires java) or Map Description Templates. Set to Awaiting Update.
Level 32
Counter Point
Almost a simple footman frenzy with control points

Gameplay: 12/20
Terrain: 4/10
Scenery: 4/10
Consistency: 3/5
Presentation: 2/5
Total Score: 23/50

Gameplay: In counterpoint, you have footman spawning in your control point every few seconds. You use those footmen to fight others around the small map. The game has an elimination feel to it, so you will not get bored easily as the pressure is always on. I like this map, but it has some flaws and is dull at some parts. There is nothing horribly wrong to say the least.

This map isn't super fun or exiting, but you have to play smart. I get that playing with footmen means that everyone is equal and it makes the game simple, I think you need a range unit. It doesn't have to be auto spawned, I suggest archers or riflemen to be able to be hired in one of those mercenary camps (shops). Whoever is using Sylvannus/ranger hero can attack units from higher ground. You can easily attack purple like that. Even Sylvannus as a selector hero can attack your units passing by.

The map is balanced unit wise, but oh my, people have so much advantages over the other. For example, it is extremely hard breaking into yellows base. He has a 2 wide tile ramp for his entrance in his base and he has the best tower build spots. Blue can be hit by three sides, and he is on low ground. Teal will be seeing the least action because he will mostly have to go through red or go through a portal on the vacant side. Balance the starting positions, and put them all on sides with equal amount of defense. What would help is to have paths leading to the middle and sides, and the middle having valuables like shops or anything else you can think of.

Terrain: The terrain is alright, it looks cool and almost looks like a "mazy arena" in a way. You did only use one tile, which is okay for the map. But adding some other city tile (dark marble might suit you) would make the map look less rushed. Some of the cliffs are over stacked, especially of above purples starting position. Like I said in the gameplay section, balance the map layout. Some of the pathways are to thin (most of the map is a chokepoint) which makes units flood the path and the hero gets suck.

Scenery: No doodads whatsoever in the playable map area! What's up with that? (It might take up space in the map, I understand) I do like how the footmen spawn in though, it's not just poof, they're there. I don't recall any other sound or visual effects, but of course it's not required.

Consistency: I didn't see any bugs or fatal errors. The map is fully playable, winning conditions, spawns, and all.

Presentation: The map isn't presented very well and the description is a little vague. You need to state whether it's protected, add screenshots, add credits if you used someone elses work, and add quests ingame.

Miscellaneous Suggestions (Does not affect approval/rejection):
-The cinematic doesn't really tell me how to play
-Make the middle of the map the best place to fight, it would make the map intense and balanced.
-I would prefer for the shops to be equally distributed across the map
-There is always a chance for AI in this kind of map :)

2.3 average score, I vote for pending then approval
Last notes: The few things that are keeping this map from being approved are to fix the description, remove the mistakes like the selectable heroes attacking units and balance it a little more. My review is based on the Map Submission Rules and preference. +rep to The Swamp Warrior.

Review by SCN

Last edited: