• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

20% Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
RANDOM THOUGHT TIME.

So last time i bought a can of monster energy, it had a sticker that said "20% Free". So it litteraly means that 20% of the can or liquid within it is free because that is what the sticker implies right.

Now what if i would like to have 20% of five cans of monster energy, would they be forced to give me a whole can? >.>

I know they probably won't but it's funny to try.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Supposing '20% free' implies there's a 20% discount. If we imagine the price of one can to be X before the discount, that would imply that you're paying 0,80X a can. 5 cans would normally cost you 5X, but considering the discount you'll pay 0,80X x5=4X. Suggesting that if you buy 5 cans, you'll in theory only be charged for 4 of them.

Not much of a random thought, it's simple mathematics. A matter of calculating percentages.

Now, considering my devotion you owe me $X.

That would work in theory, but the salesman must charge all 5, else there will come to differences... meaning there is X amount of cans missing, so where did the go? They'd have problems running the evidences and stuff like that..

It would work if there would be stated "buy 4, take 5" (they have their own methods.)

Anyway that's just my opinion, I don't know the system that much :p

Level 22
When it's "20% free" it's a 20% discount off the base price, but the base price is probably increased to counter the discount (maybe not entirely, but somewhat, because the stores can risk losing money).

Level 27
lol, i get that. I meant it litteraly says 20% FREE, i understand it's a discount but the sticker could also imply exactly what is says xD. So i'd bring my own cup with me and ask for 20% of all the five cans =p

Although i dont know what the law says about something that is opened, does that immediatley count as a purchase?

Level 9
As random as this is, its an intresting thought. What 20% means is you get an extra 20% of the normal volume of the can at no extra charge, basically your getting a 120% volume of Monster for the price of 100%.

So if you drink five 20% free Monsters its like you drank 6 normal 100% cans. :grin:

Regards,

Jake

It's a bit of a pointless sticker as instead of being 20% free, it's just 20% cheaper then the price of what they are implying is the full price - but since the actual price you are paying for it is with the 20% removed and there is no implications you'd ever be made to pay the price with that 20% then you can essentially call the price of which you finally pay the actual price.

You know, quite often those "20% free" are just scams that mean nothing and drink pricess or sizes are not changed.

Also, it's weird ponymongers hadn't rephrased "20% Free" into "20% Cooler".

Hey, you're the one who recognizes the reference

Bottom line? It's only 20% free if for some reason it has/will cost more then that anyways, relatively if there's nothing to compare the relativity to it's meaningless.

Level 14
20% free means it's at least 20% overpriced. The discount, if you're very lucky, will get you down to 'standard' prices. Soon you'll see a "50% more drink for 30% more $" shortly after they reduce the current volume but not the price.

Standard Example: 1/2 gal. of ice cream costs $5. The volume drops to about 80% of 1/2 gal. but the price is still $5. Shortly after price is $5.25 for 1/2 gal. with a 'promotional ad' stating "20% more for only $0.25 more!!"

Over the last 5 years I've watched the price of 1/2 gal. ice cream tubs increase about $2.75 to $3.25. The same thing occurs with all commodities.

//\\==//\\

Status
Not open for further replies.