• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Last Samurai-Introduction v1.05

Reactions: deepstrasz
The Last Samurai
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46051.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46051.png[/IMG]

There were once two armies, Samurai's and Warlord's, they were always in war.
Sometimes worse than other times, But then there was a warrior called Raiken Yanoboyukya
who was a very fierce samurai and there was the General, General Yakobutso.
He had a wife Sharnae and a son called Vago and a daughter called Juile.
Raiken only had one son, called Odin.
And then one day, Raiken left the samurai army. With no leaving letter or speech,
And moved forward to join the Warlord's... Odin, his son did not follow his father's footsteps.

[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46054.png[/IMG]
-Jesper Kyd
-Gravity
-Blizzard Entertainment
-FOX
-Hans Zimmer

[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46053.png[/IMG]
-Black_Stan
-The Ultimate Terraining Map v3.0
-Born2Modificate
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46056.png[/IMG]

152860-albums2918-picture57172.jpg

152860-albums2918-picture57171.jpg

152860-albums2918-picture57173.jpg
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46050.png[/IMG]

v1.00

-Uploaded The Map

v1.01
-Changed some problems mentioned
by VengeanceKael

v1.02

-Changed some issue's with Typo's
-Changed The background music
-Given the Ability to skip cinematic
-Added map preference's

v1.03
-Changed some Issues and bugs
with music

v1.04
-Changed Minimap Image

v1.05
-Fixed some Grammatical errors and Punctuation errors
-Fixed terrain, by making it less repetitive & boring
-Fixed animations, stopped silly automatic
animations from happening during dialogues.
-Fixed some Camera's to be more centred.
-Added Music to each scene.
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46052.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152860-albums4000-picture46052.png[/IMG]

-This Map is not protected
-Cinematic Time Approx 5 -7 minutes
-File size doesn't matter, It's a Cinematic.

Keywords:
Raiken, Vago, Juile, Odin, Sharnae, General, Samurai, Warlord, War, Battle, Introduction, Yakobutso, Yanoboyukya.
Contents

The Last Samurai-Introduction v1.05 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael - Date: 2012/Apr/08 20:43:22 Reasons: Other: Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall...
Will give you a review after i've watched it.

Review

Map Name: The Last Samurai Introduction

Creator: xDeathKnightx

Information: The Last Samurai is a cinematic series where the samurais and the warlords are fighting against each other. More will not be said.

-------------------
Camera:

The Camera work was acceptable, although you should try to zoom in or zoom out sometimes while there's a conversation, or at least make it move slowly. But the camera was smooth.

Animations:

There were no animations played while People were talking, which you could add to some certain places of the cinematic, but that is not necessary, although it would make it better.

Combat:

The Combat Scenes were fine, although Julie always did the same thing and when she was killing the rest of the imperial guards, she was floating in the air for almost 10 seconds.

Environment:

The Environment was simply gorgeous, a forest, the castle of the Warlords, although the only thing that bothered me was the Samurai Castle in the end, it looked like a mess, make everything look alike.

Dialog:

The Dialog work was nicely done, although you didn't use alot of expressions, but it was fine.

Story:

The Story is in some small aspects original, but aside from that, it is pretty unoriginal, adding some mysterious things to the cinematic would make the story more intense.

Intro:

The Cinematic started all of a sudden, with the requiem of the gods song, which you could improve, for example fading the screen and writing the Cinematic name with the creator's name and then start the cinematic.

Music:

There was only music in the beginning of the cinematic which is really sad, because in the rest of the cinematic, there was no music, adding a "relaxing" music would make it better.

Overall:

It was a fine intro for a cinematic sequel, although there are alot of things you should fix in your upcoming cinematics. I give it 2/5, but when you've updated this and changed some of the major things i mentioned above, then i'll make it 3/5. Vote For Approval.

Some Other Things:

Your -> You're

get's to heavy -> get's too heavy

after what my father done -> after what my father did or after what my father has done

no offence but. -> no offence but,...

your self -> yourself

gaurd -> guard

could of happened -> could have happened

Last edited:
Use the music as a sound, see if it works then
That's not right, Your, and You're are two different things. You're= You are.
Also, it's only going to be one O in that to, so he has spelled right.
i know that, but in certain text spots he has made that fault.
Also, i contacted ap0calypse and he approved it for ya ;D

Level 18
Use the music as a sound, see if it works then

i know that, but in certain text spots he has made that fault.
Also, i contacted ap0calypse and he approved it for ya ;D

Thanks :) And i have changed some of the things in the cinematic, but when you say to zoom in with the camera more, where by should i do this?

Also do you think i should just stick to terraining?

Thanks :) And i have changed some of the things in the cinematic, but when you say to zoom in with the camera more, where by should i do this?

Also do you think i should just stick to terraining?
Well when there was a conversation, then the camera stopped moving, so maybe make the camera (for example) rotate around the ones talking very slowly.
Well you've focused alot on terraining, so i would rather recommend you focus on other things aswell, for example the battle scenes.
------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 1.01 Test:

You've not changed alot of things, although you've added warcraft music, which is at least something and i would suggest you the ability to stop watching the cinematic when you click esc.

Typos:

I am not alowed to goto the battle -> I am not allowed to go to the battle

If you change these things, then i'll change my rating to 3/5.

Last edited:
Level 13
Right off the bat a review, perhaps a bit later, but as they say, better late than never.

General
Overall, I'd have to say I like your cinematic, with the whole scene you made, 2-P beat you too it however (even tho his had no real story), so it wasn't something too new I am afraid, but your attempt is quite good.
I think you tried to make something refreshing, however, there were a couple of moments that I sat in my chair trying to stay enthusiastic about the story, but we'll get into that.

Terrain and Environment
Your terrain was quite well, perhaps it was a bit all of the same, but definitely didn't bore me.
I do think that you should pay a bit more attention to (how can I make this terrain not be so repetitive, meaning, what scenerio's can I built other than paths and large pieces of wood and grass ( a good exmaple would be to make small little mountain cave's that appear on the background, thats just an example) )

Your indoor terrain was quite alright, perhaps pieces a bits that were too empty, so I think you could take example of where you use allot of doodads outside to create a forest to make something more interesting for your indoor terrains.

Environment I was a bit disappointed about, you created a forest and indoor terrain, but it didn't give it the magical and final touch (skies, fogs weather effects etc), try to toy around with those to especially give your forest that final feel.

Camera and Cinematic Handling
I felt that you could have used some more closed up shots from time to time, specially when people are talking with one another, don't be afraid to use close by standing camera, what you can generate with a closer shot, is more background attention too, might sound awkward but if you place it well off the characters that are talking with each other viewers can get distracted by the piece of terrain that is in front of them, and forget the view that's at the back, also closing in on certain angles will create more background for you, cause you don't have the foreground, so keep that in mind with camera positioning.

Camera motion felt smooth, however it felt sometimes related to the action (which I will handle in that category as well) as if your camera didn't really bring that extra level touch to it, instead it didn't catch up with the actual action.

Your cinematic handling like dialogues and fades looked alright, so nothing to pin point there, the only notion was this small text displaying the years, instead of fading to black and letting them appear, use them in actual footage (short fade to black and let the text appear in the footage) this way you won't draw the viewers touch of the feel you are trying to create.

Story and Character build
Your story was nothing too refreshing in my opinion, it felt as if I was watching one of those movies like rome etc, where two legions have a grudge against another, and either there is one guy that rebels or 2 people from opposing factions fall in love.

Try to work out lore that spins new angles on your story, additional side stories, plots etc.

I loved Juile's character build, and I think that has partially to do with the fact that she was there in allot of scene's, advice would be to let her be a bit more dramatic or explosive, this will give away her behavior a little more quick.

Animation, (inter)action and Effects
First of all (as I have said to many) when people are making conversations make sure you use correct animations and not random ones, it's kinda awkward to see someone making a back-flip while she is talking.

Interaction wise people should look to one another when they are talking, you kinda forgot this at the mountain where Vaga, sharnea and yako were talking to one another (sharnea was still looking at her husband while her son was talking for example)

The actions you made should be better timed.
Slicing through the messenger where the sword didn't hit him is not accurate, and the spinning killing from Juile wasn't too accurate either, sounds, animations and camera's were all mixed up, leaving the viewer questioning, what really happened.

The effects, I really dislike the coming out of a sneak and using a blink? it would be cooler if people came from a mist cloud or fade in gradually via a trigger.

Music and Sounds
The music fades from one to the next might have been a bit more gradually, try to work with triggers that fade in and out your tracks.

Try to sync your sound effects a little bit more to your animations and happenings.

Last but least, don't be afraid to use some ambient sounds, for example the river stream behind vago, sharnea and her yako, that would contribute quite a little.

There are lots of things that you could improve on, but I am rating you with a 3.1 for this cinematic (vote = a 3)
overall good job, and episode 2 will get my review shortly.

Level 8
This cinematic was great ! A very nice job !
The combat part was not so epic, but the terraining wonderful and the models you used fixed very well the story. I especially like julie's model, this one fix perfectly with the young and mischievous 16 yo warrior girl (btw i was surprised when she killed so much guards with one technic, she seems to be very strong at all o__O).
I also noticed there was a typo error with "juile" instead of "julie".

Level 1
That's not right, Your, and You're are two different things. You're= You are.
Also, it's only going to be one O in that to, so he has spelled right.

It's interesting how -Warhunter- just didn't notice that "gets" is spells wrong...alas, nice going with the "schooling" though...

@ Topic : The map creator seems to dislike puns, as one post suggested "your screen-shots make my cursor click the download button", or something along those lines. (Clearly a compliment)
And yes, I liked the cinematic (models were nice, haven't seen them before, but I'm not much of a -samurai- junkie).

- Rating : 4/5

Well when the cinematic started the were the incorrect model (purple cubes with dark squares), No loading screen (white) don't know if it was supposed to be like that and after this I didn't even bother to watch any further...

Edit: Turns out it was a glitch from the game it self (the incorrect models) but still loading screen is white.

Last edited:
Level 9
One quality cutscene made. The thing that made it good was the nice creation of the terrain. The camera was good (but nothing special was on it.). I can't say that I can give any good advice on camera play, since I've never been good at it. Still there was a big room for change.
Maybe I'll give an advice on the lighting. There was practically no effort ever done on the lighting. The lighting makes a cutscene more catching to the eye, especially when timed right with your camera. I noticed you placed in some animations for some scenes, like the falling leaves, but proper use of lighting still catches up to that.
I'll give this one a 4/5 mainly because of the good use of models.