• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

War of the Ether 1.16.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Link to the Map's Forum

The game is called War of the Ether. Essentially, the entire point of the game is that there are two teams of players, 6v6, and each team cooperatively controls a fortress. The objective is to destroy the enemy fortress and ultimately reach the enemy energy pillar, destroy it, and claim victory. For the individual player, however, this game isn't so simple. Because each part of the game, whether commanding troops, or building up your own fortress, or simply gathering resources for the team is split into different heroes specialized for their task. If you want to be the one building up the base and upgrading troops, you'll be the engineer. If you want to lead troops, you'll be the commander. If you want to gather resources, you'll be a miner. If you want to fight on your own, you'll be the mage or any of the various hero classes. Whichever you choose to do, this map offers a unique gameplay that will test even the most veteraned of strategic gamers into working out a strategy that will ultimately determine failure or success on the battlefield. Good luck!

Change Log: 1.12.3 (September 12th, 2009)
First Uploaded

1.13.0 (September 12th, 2009)
Added a Tutorial for new players, accessed by player 1 typing -tutorial changed in 1.13.4

1.13.1 (September 13th, 2009)
Shortened the Tutorial. Alot.

1.13.3 (September 27th, 2009)
Changed the way the armor works on the Soul Collector: Now takes a certain number of hits to bring down, regardless of the strength of those hits.
Made an adjustment to the lightning in the warp fields: It now deals half damage to mine carts.

1.13.4 (September 27th, 2009)
Made tutorial activated by a dialog box that defaults to no if a selection isn't made in 15 seconds.

1.13.5 (October 1st 2009) Not Officially Released
Got rid of Fhaerrw bug. Finally.

1.14.0 (November 1st 2009)
New terrain has been implemented for testing.
* Destructible bridges spanning the front walls to each base, offering a potential alternative entrance to opposing armies with lots of siege weapons.
* Water trenches filled with an unknown deadly chemical
* A forest in which enemy troops can be hidden
LOS reduced for all units, and set to 0 for all buildings

1.14.01 (November 6th, 2009)
New unit added to Summoning Gate

1.14.02 (November 27th, 2009)
Terrain adjustments in Volcano region
New effects added to Warp Fields:
* Movement speed is slowed in poison
* Every few seconds units will be randomly teleported around the region
* Lightning damage has been reduced slightly against Mine Carts

1.14.03 (November 28th, 2009)
Resource Pits and starting area for both teams have been annexed into separate areas from the rest of the base, opening up pathing in the middle of the bases.

1.14.04B (January 8th, 2010)
Bug Fixes
* Heroes may now properly take items out of the annexed portions of the bases
* Using the -choosescreen command while in a base area will now properly reset the camera at the end of the duration

1.15.0 (January 14th, 2010)
Added a new unit and a new building
* Anti-magic Field, reducing the mana of all units and heroes in a large radius to 0 while it is alive. Fragile. Trained at the Summoning Gate
* Fire Totem, deals massive damage to all units in melee radius of this small building. Built by the engineer with 2 Adamantite and 3 Essence of Fire, along with 20 soul energy
* Both effects affect both enemy and allied units.
Psionic Seed (Teichan ability) has had its mana cost increased and its cast time increased. Additionally, its damage against the energy pillar has been reduced substantially.
Fixed up some tooltips.

1.15.0A (January 15th, 2010)
Fixed an error with the Background images and preview screens

1.15.1 (January 17th, 2010)
Shuffled the location of the interior bases for each team. (No effect on gameplay)
Adjusted the range for the Deus-ex-Machina ability on the energy pillars
Mage mana regeneration has been tweaked: Now regenerates at 20% of her mana per second, starting a second after mana is first lost.
The -choosescreen command will now also let you see units inside your own base and (if you have a unit there with LOS) inside your enemy's base.

1.16.0 (January 20th, 2010)
Gameplay regarding Demonic units has been drastically altered.
- Demons are much weaker
- Demons are now summoned when a soldier dies in the presence of an Ether Field
- Ether Fields may no longer summon Demons themselves
- Summoned Demons belong to the owner of the Ether Field
- Devils have been temporarily removed from the game (to be added again later)

1.16.1 (January 23rd, 2010)
Demons have been weakened
Fixed error with Version number in the title.

One thing I'd like to point out: I've been getting a glitch that causes the game to crash at a random point during the game. It's been happening shortly after starting and also after the end of the game, right before I click to exit the game. If you get this error, please PM me what you were doing and send the error message, in case it differs from what I've been getting. (Critical Error) Also, if you have any insight into how it would be fixed, please tell me! I have a few theories as to how this may be happening, but help is always appreciated.

New Terrain for 1.14! Critique is expected, but please offer rational reasons for whatever may be wrong with it.

Keywords:
Ether, War, Battle, Strategy, Fortress, War of the Ether, Xesirin
Contents

War of the Ether 1.16.1 (Map)

Reviews
19:51, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
I play It !

+ It's a fun idea !
+ upgrade system
+ "ether"

~some bugs with picks and ally control
~inventory system

-Terrain is Ugly ! (if you want i can work on it, i'm a good terrainer and I really like your map )
-a team can have more than one commander ? it is balanced ?
-many things need more description, like soul ... and there is too many of then at the begin of the game... maybe add them later ?(after 5 mins ? it can be more fun)
-Base must spawn automatically units to add a constant fight !

So... Not rated ...You can really do better ! improve it ! I will wait your new versions ! (and i can make your terrain =D)

Level 4
A couple of things:
- I hate the terrain. And I'm the one who made it! It's also not the first version of the terrain, the first was much more boring and MUCH larger. I'll be rolling out a new terrain probably within a month
- I've tested the game with multiple starting commanders: it's difficult for the opposing team, but veteran players know how to counter it and can pull ahead fast if the other team doesn't switch strategy away from massing units. (Upgrades mean alot in this game!)
- Spawning units constantly would make it an AOS...... not my intent. This game is supposed to delegate the microing to the player, making it more difficult. I'm not big on 'easy mode' games. That's why simply sitting in your base, telling troops to mass attack the enemy base almost always fails.
- I fail at describing things. :p I'll work on making the game more intuitive.

Update coming soon.

New update for 1.14 includes a complete overhaul of the terrain between the two bases, and some tweaks to the terrain in the bases.

Last edited:
Level 2
Good map the miners also seem to mine themselves and return resources if no player is in that slot which is great

Level 9
Xesirin, I would like to test this out with my friends next weekend at lan so expect a review there.
But as I read that you fail describing things get someone to help you? Or maybe with the terrain people don't think is good?
If you are the idea man or something like that and need help with the other stuff I suggest you go make a post describing what you need and then alot of knowledge about the map (Here)

Level 5
you mentioned a bug that causes random crashes. if it is randomly disconecting people then it is a problem with your protector/opimisor. if its just crashes, then it could be a unit that uses items picking up a tome, otherwise i have no idea.

Level 4
you mentioned a bug that causes random crashes. if it is randomly disconecting people then it is a problem with your protector/opimisor. if its just crashes, then it could be a unit that uses items picking up a tome, otherwise i have no idea.

The random crash causes a critical error. I'm starting to suspect it has to do with my arrays, but I don't know for certain. I use neither an optimizer nor a protector, so those cannot be the issue. The only tome-like item in the game are the "souls" that units drop when they die, and I have had issues with the map from long before I included that. (Also, I use clean-up code for it to prevent the items from lingering after use.)

I haven't seen it happen in a little while, (which coincides with some modifications I made in the hopes of fixing the problem) but if anyone does a lot of theorycrafting, please share with me what you know.

Level 2
BUG! When your team 1, for example red.. .and if you pick a class thats not engineer and then go to the stockpile of iron at the bottom of the spawn point, u TP to the center of the spawn point of the enemy's spawn point, so if you leave the place using the beacon... you'll be surrounded by blue towers which fires at you

Level 4
BUG! When your team 1, for example red.. .and if you pick a class thats not engineer and then go to the stockpile of iron at the bottom of the spawn point, u TP to the center of the spawn point of the enemy's spawn point, so if you leave the place using the beacon... you'll be surrounded by blue towers which fires at you

That is..... bizarre. I'll probably have a new version out in the next week or so, I'll look into that. Been putting this map off to start up another project.