1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

1 million dollars raised by gamers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chaosy, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  2. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    But what is the point of you making this thread?

3. Aeroblyctos

Aeroblyctos

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What is the point of your reply?

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    as i said, i just wanted to announce it. for me its a amazing thing that gamers can raise so much money in such a good purpose

5. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    but im sure you werent one of the people to donate,admit it you just made this thread to feel good about yourself, you're just like those SONY 2021 fags. And what is this deed to show?That some gamers are good people?Okay but why tell us?Why dont you tell us about how the bikers/bakers/parachuters/hive mods (jk they're too greedy)/jihadists/hairdressers/etcand their deeds?

And gamers are worth to live as?Because a small group of them donated, that makes the entire group good?Seriously?

Chairity is a good and noble but if you donate just to look good in other's eyes ("gamers are worth to live"), giving yourself credit and drowning in pride, then you're just missing the point son.

Also so much money for good purposes? In 2007 the gamer popylation was around 270 milion imagine how much they are now and how few the people that donated are?Now compare that number to how many money are spend each year on new games consoles computer parts etc.

This thread is just a waste but im replying because im ddos-ing the hive.

6. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    If you think anyone donates for any other reason than to feel good, you are gravely mistaken. Men are selfish, it lies in our nature.

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No I did not donate because I dont have a credit card (yet).

the gamer are worth to live as was a kind of small joke, if you did not think it was funny then maybe it was pointless to put there.

Ok you got your point most gamers is FAR awey from noble, still 1 million dollars is still much monney and from a bad community its even more

(edit), also trolman your just bringing me down please dont repeat that, if you dont like this thread your not forced to read/care about it

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  8. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wish people would stop referring to themselves as gamers.

9. Audioclave

Audioclave

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because wouldn't that make anyone who's played a game a gamer?

"BREAKING NEWS: GAMER ORPHANAGE LIT ON FIRE BY GAMER EXTREMISTS, MORE AT 5"

10. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Athene won diablo 3 because his fans donated gold to him.

This is just to make him appear a little less douche.

BROTIP: Never watch any of his videos.

Also, "raised money for Africa" pretty much always gets lost in transit. Middle men in Europe/America, more middle men in Africa, corrupt officials all the way, at the end of the day the money raised will probably buy a crate of AK47s for a government to continue oppressing its people.

11. gorillabull

gorillabull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    a million dollars is not a lot of money it can hardly help anyone

12. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    donating for helping others and feeling good because you help others =ok
    donating to feel good because you donated (aka moving the goal, not helping others but to look better in other's eyes) is selfish hypocracy.

13. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Athene is a douchebag, besides this only gives starving people food for a short time so they can reproduce and make more starving people, throwing food at poor people isn't going to solve anything. If you want a change, it has to be something more permanent.

14. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
  15. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    A couple of things:

1) He started the fundraising before Diablo 3 was even released. Thus he didn't do it to seem less of a douche (at least not from anything Diablo related).

2a) Brotips are used to help out people with their problems. Just because you don't like his videos doesn't mean other people won't. In conclusion: Don't give subjective advices.

2b) Athene is a troll, his intention is to make people hate. Obviously you fell prey for this.

3) There are various ways charity organisations can help out countries. They can either send the charity money to the government for them to sort it out. This almost always results in abuse due to corruption and whatnot. OR they can travel to the countries themselves and personally make sure the money is used to help out the people there. Save the Children, to whom the money was donated, belongs to the latter.

16. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh dear. By your own logic, if he's a "troll" and his intention is to make people hate, then surely my brotip is helping out people that could potentially have a problem with his videos?

Your other two points in your post are both valid. You know more about the matter than I do, and in my ignorance I attacked this fundraising thing.

So let me leave you with another BROTIP: avoid attempting refuting each point of a target's post just to make it appear "even" or "complete".

17. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    That depends whether you are capable of seeing through his rather obvious trolling or not. I personally enjoy some of his videos, and his targets are mainly people who, for whatever subjective reasons, already dislike Athene and his videos. I suppose I should've explained myself better in this matter.

Also, a valid brotip this time. Actually helps out in some scenarios.

18. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    People only do the latter, or rather informed people only do the latter, fact is most of us realise that any money we raise is ultimately futile to help them, (specifically those in Africa) because where they live isn't suitable for humans, the problem is the land they live on, more than anything else - otherwise they'd have technologically advanced like the rest of us.

Also you don't donate consciously thinking "I want to help others" that's what you do to kid yourself, you donate thinking "It'd feel good, to donate some money" notice the "feel good" before the actual action, denoting that feeling good is what you really care about, because truthfully under any guise, that /is/ what you care about, yourself. Not people in Africa you don't know.

19. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you want to really help them, raise money to train teachers, builders, doctors and policemen, and get them out of desert and put them somewhere where plants can be grown.

20. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I completely agree with this.

The reason Africa is such a terrible place for development is becuase the Europeans stripped it entirely from resources. Due to us feeling bad for what our ancestors did, we now donate, in hope to fix what our forefathers did wrong. Again, entirely for selfish reasons.