• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] 1.32 Red Minimap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Has anyone seen the following issue? I already made a bug report for it on the official Blz tracker

I created a map originally targeting the classic version of the game, from patches 1.21b to 1.31

• Opening my map using the Reforged editor on patch 1.32 or 1.32.1 causes the minimap to immediately have a red overlay/tint.
  • Saving my map with the editor and then playing it will cause the in game minimap to also have the red overlay/tint for all players.
  • The red tinted minimap does not appear when playing an older version of my map, without first saving it in 1.32 Reforged (or 1.32.1).
  • My map does not customize the minimap. All assets are now working in both SD and HD

Minimap Normal
PAFvKqX.jpg

Minimap Tinted Red
OkmxJkg.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas for cause or fix? I wonder if the red tint is intentional, and the game is telling me that something is invalid... But I have no idea what that would be...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I created a map originally targeting the classic version of the game, from patches 1.21b to 1.31
1.31 was technically a Reforged version since it featured Reforged changes.
  • Opening my map using the Reforged editor on patch 1.32 or 1.32.1 causes the minimap to immediately have a red overlay/tint.
  • Saving my map with the editor and then playing it will cause the in game minimap to also have the red overlay/tint for all players.
Try setting the editor to SD graphics and checking if the minimap is then generated as expected. If not then you should provide a demonstration map (showing the issue, redish minimap instead of black) and I will forward this to William.
Does anyone have any ideas for cause or fix?
I am guessing the black is meant to be outland abyss texture (pure black)? It is possible in Reforged graphics that it is no longer pure black and has a redish tint to it in one of the many texture layers. This is why I suggest trying to save with World Editor running in SD (Classic graphics) mode.

Otherwise the colour will be defined by some slk data file. One could try importing a custom one with such value modified.

Level 6
1.31 was technically a Reforged version since it featured Reforged changes.
Try setting the editor to SD graphics and checking if the minimap is then generated as expected. If not then you should provide a demonstration map (showing the issue, redish minimap instead of black) and I will forward this to William.
you're right, the tint appears related to the abyss texture. my map's minimap appears as expected when saved in SD, which works fine for my release rate at least. i'm still wondering why the red tint from the abyss texture bleeds to the rest of the minimap, even where there's no abyss texture present. there aren't too many areas in the map without any abyss whatsoever though, so maybe the HD abyss does explain the full minimap tint still...

I am guessing the black is meant to be outland abyss texture (pure black)? It is possible in Reforged graphics that it is no longer pure black and has a redish tint to it in one of the many texture layers. This is why I suggest trying to save with World Editor running in SD (Classic graphics) mode.
i think that must be the main variable involved here. thank you for the info, that might let me deal with it properly in the future. im thinking ill hold back on any edits to the HD terrain textures for a little bit

in game, the HD abyss texture does have a bit of red to it, you can see it in the screen caps in my first post if you look closely / compare to the pitch black of SD. it's interesting that bit of red is being highlighted so much on the minimap, that's unexpected to me but probably not what id call a bug. do you think it's worth mentioning this to Blz/William? i sorta doubt it for this one texture, but i wonder if other textures have similarly odd minimap renderings

I have this issue on my map using the outland abyss texture. Luckily the way I'm using abyss, as black area outside playable area, I could use the boundry terrain thing to make it properly black on the minimap.
that's good to know, thanks. was your full minimap tinted red before you used the boundary terrain to spot fix?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
you're right, the tint appears related to the abyss texture. my map's minimap appears as expected when saved in SD, which works fine for my release rate at least. i'm still wondering why the red tint from the abyss texture bleeds to the rest of the minimap, even where there's no abyss texture present. there aren't too many areas in the map without any abyss whatsoever though, so maybe the HD abyss does explain the full minimap tint still...
Probably some lighting based tint. Possibly from the environment map. This could be so the map looks atmospheric for an outland based map.

Was your custom tile set based on outland? If so try a different base such as Loderon Summer..

Level 6
Probably some lighting based tint. Possibly from the environment map. This could be so the map looks atmospheric for an outland based map.
hmm thats an interesting idea about tileset base -> environment maps, you're right that my custom tileset was based on outland. can i change tileset base at this stage in an existing map, or are you suggesting to test a new map? i cant find anything about changing tileset base, just replacing individual tiles

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
hmm thats an interesting idea about tileset base -> environment maps, you're right that my custom tileset was based on outland. can i change tileset base at this stage in an existing map, or are you suggesting to test a new map? i cant find anything about changing tileset base, just replacing individual tiles
Should be possible. Go to custom tile set window and change the base tileset from the pulldown. Then modify it to match your current one.

Level 6
Should be possible. Go to custom tile set window and change the base tileset from the pulldown. Then modify it to match your current one.
got it, thanks. it looks like my observations on red-tinted minimap are unrelated to tileset base. with a Lordaeron Summer base, the minimap looked fine until i swapped in the abyss texture, at which point the full minimap appears tinted red (like before)

while i still would swear that the red tint bleeds through the full minimap, it looks like that effect might be more of an optical illusion than anything else. after changing tileset base, i tried replacing the abyss tile with both lava and snow to see how the minimap would appear. i cant distinguish any difference in red tint bleeding when i compare all 3 minimaps closely - but the original minimap still seems to have some red-tint bleeding when i look at a glance

7dOBaDl.png

ZP5DGRr.png

2WIUf1z.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.