• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

⚔️War Quest World

An adventure RPG with a world map, hero jobs, item classes, vehicles, and more. Sail the seas and fly the skies in your quest to defeat Chaos.

Start in the village of Glenheim and make your way across the world collecting and upgrading your equipment. Join up with your party and fight in periodic epic battles.

Join the War Quest World Discord Server!

HELP WANTED!

War Quest World is under development and we could use your help with:
- Spells, skills, items
- Story, quests, plotline
- Icons, models, new ideas!

CREDITS

Mythic - Spell effect models
Tamplier777 - Unit models
Blink - Spell effect models
TriggerHappy - Save & Load, File IO
NightKnight - UI Designer tools
dtnmang - Attack & Damage type tutorials
MorePillons - Testing

Contents

War Quest World - Act I (Map)

War Quest World - Act II (Map)

War Quest World - Act III (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Seems like a really nice mix of RPGish gameplay with some sort of tactical battling. Pretty creative for a Warcraft III map. Make sure to credit everyone whose resources you've used for all maps, please. Approved. If you want more reviews, you...
Level 6
Looks too blant
^What an insectoid little consciousness. I wish this kind of lazy and destructive rating could somehow be removed...Also I think if you play it on classic a lot of models might be missing

I downloaded this map because it has some concepts that I myself have tried to implement, mainly the overworld representing your travelling hero, and "entering" sites. I very much support this kind of thing. A lot of good work went into individually designing each instance. I like that there were also random encounters.

Performance-wise I had some stuttering. It was wise to lock the camera I think, but maybe reduce vision / only give the player vision of their current region. This map could actually benefit from some black mask, especially in the overworld and maybe the random encounters.

Great work, I look forward to the refinement of this concept. Wc3 maps benefit from gameplay concepts like this, much more than shallow visual-awe. For the record, the map is perfectly readable to me and is not in any way offensive visually. I can imagine some players wishing it had classic graphics, but if you're choosing reforged I think that's valid and hardly deserving of penalty.

NEXT UPDATE!

Worked on combat, added some slash models ala Mythic: Reaper's Claws

Also redid the way items add damage, they now modify the base+dice damage with jass rather than the basic object editor item +damage ability.

New location/event: Battlefields! A new faster paced and more epic fight where you participate in a charging line formation. Keep the commander alive!

upload_2020-11-30_19-9-16.png

Last edited:
This is a great idea and works decently. I just feel like it's rather difficult to play solo, and the map is also missing some sort of guidance to help you get started.
But I'll definetly keep an eye out for updates, since this seems like it would be a lot of fun if it was just optimized a bit more.
Good job!

Oh, and one more thing: the terrain is amazing!

Last edited:
Reactions: MWM
This is a great idea and works decently. I just feel like it's rather difficult to play solo, and the map is also missing some sort of guidance to help you get started.
But I'll definetly keep an eye out for updates, since this seems like it would be a lot of fun if it was just optimized a bit more.
Good job!

Oh, and one more thing: the terrain is amazing!

ty! I'm currently working on redoing the caves to be elevation brush+doodads instead of terrain cliffs. I found that wc3 cliffs cause performance issues in reforged, particularly if there is fog enabled :eek:

Is this map something similar in the style of Mount & Blade? It looks kind of interesting, although I don't have much of an idea of what's going on in it. The description didn't really cover too much.

I think so. But I dont want exp and theres magic and dragons in it. Roughly inspired by: zelda, final fantasy 1, dragon force (sega saturn)

Level 2
Hi there!
I gave a shot to this map for a few times now but I have one question.
When you die is game over? You have to go again from the start?
I didn't found anything to resurrect my hero.
It's not very nice to die after a few hours of play and lose everything.
And another thing, maybe I don't get it. I can't enter the Windsong Castle, the Abbey had two boxes that I got it, and the lighthouse has the doorway locked. I'm trapped in that level and don't see the next move. Or is just my lack of understanding.

Last edited:
Hi there!
I gave a shot to this map for a few times now but I have one question.
When you die is game over? You have to go again from the start?
I didn't found anything to resurrect my hero.
It's not very nice to die after a few hours of play and lose everything.
And another thing, maybe I don't get it. I can't enter the Windsong Castle, the Abbey had two boxes that I got it, and the lighthouse has the doorway locked. I'm trapped in that level and don't see the next move. Or is just my lack of understanding.

It is hardcore right now, but there will be some resurrecting. I just pushed an update that should address some of your issues!

NEW YEARS UPDATE!

Happy New Years, this push has tons of item models (see RPG Equipment) as well as lots of Tooltip polish esp. on the world map. I have also continued the push to replace the wc3 cliffs and it is now ~50% done. The new Gaia's Cave looks pretty cool.

The ship has also been redone with a custom model! you can walk around a much more detailed ship model that even has a custom fitted pathing map:

walkableship.png

Thanks to everyone who posts feedback here!

Last edited:
Level 2
I managed to enter the Windsong Castle, got the key for the Overwatch Tower, killed the pirate but I got stuck on the left side. I cannot get to the other side.
Am I missing something or is something wrong with the map?
I saved the game at this point. When you release another update of the map I guess I have to start over, the saved game won't be good for the new version, right?

I managed to enter the Windsong Castle, got the key for the Overwatch Tower, killed the pirate but I got stuck on the left side. I cannot get to the other side.
Am I missing something or is something wrong with the map?
I saved the game at this point. When you release another update of the map I guess I have to start over, the saved game won't be good for the new version, right?

Yea I don't think save games work across versions... However for this I think you are in luck: it just needs another key. One is even somewhere in the pirate hideout.

Level 2
However for this I think you are in luck: it just needs another key. One is even somewhere in the pirate hideout.

On the last two updates I can't see the artifacts, chests, etc. If I press ALT key it shows theirs status bars but the actual object is not there.
Maybe that key is present somewhere but I can't see it.
The same with my gear (dagger, pickaxe, etc), if I drop them on the floor they are not there. You can pick them up but are not drawed. If you walk away from that place is hard to find them again. As I said, you have to press the ALT key to highlight the spot where they are.

On the last two updates I can't see the artifacts, chests, etc. If I press ALT key it shows theirs status bars but the actual object is not there.
Maybe that key is present somewhere but I can't see it.
The same with my gear (dagger, pickaxe, etc), if I drop them on the floor they are not there. You can pick them up but are not drawed. If you walk away from that place is hard to find them again. As I said, you have to press the ALT key to highlight the spot where they are.

Hmm Im guessing this is related to Reforged HD or LOD layers in the models... hmmm, will check it out ty.

NEW UPDATE!

Happy Jan 2021 Y'all. This update fixes many tooltips and reworks more spells to base damage off of hero base damage+dice. Class restrictions have also been added to more spells. Resurrection and lives have been added! Look for golden fairys which act to revive you should you die in battle. The priest/zealot also have a new trainable spell of resurrection to help allies out.

Many new models and updates to existing models...

There have also been some terrain updates to the Volcano and the Elf Forest areas. Merry questing!

goldenfairy.png

Last edited:
Hey, just downloaded it and played for the first time. I love some of the concepts you went for here. I just wanted to bring an issue to your attention, minor problem but noteworthy. If you spec as Mage or Archer early and go to the first village, the pathing doesn't allow you to actually leave the village. Thought you'd want to know. It works fine for the Swordsman. Not sure if you'd run into this problem with later specs, but by then, you probably wouldn't be going back to visit that village anyways.

Other than that, I really like the world map, inventory system and abilities.

Could use a bit more story, or maybe you could write the dungeons/events/battles as quests to give backstory to those who might be looking for something along those lines. I'm also not sure what can be done about the low framerate. Not sure if there's just a lot of triggers going on in the background or something more. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge can offer some assistance on that one.

Hey, just downloaded it and played for the first time. I love some of the concepts you went for here. I just wanted to bring an issue to your attention, minor problem but noteworthy. If you spec as Mage or Archer early and go to the first village, the pathing doesn't allow you to actually leave the village. Thought you'd want to know. It works fine for the Swordsman. Not sure if you'd run into this problem with later specs, but by then, you probably wouldn't be going back to visit that village anyways.

Other than that, I really like the world map, inventory system and abilities.

Could use a bit more story, or maybe you could write the dungeons/events/battles as quests to give backstory to those who might be looking for something along those lines. I'm also not sure what can be done about the low framerate. Not sure if there's just a lot of triggers going on in the background or something more. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge can offer some assistance on that one.

Hmmm, could be lots of periodic triggers. Its open source so feel free to help out!

HOTFIXED the pathing issue.

Last edited:
Level 1
Hey this map says open source but i actually cant open it in my world editor... just wanted to add my own made character and play

Level 1
i dont even know what latest patch is when i try to download anything it wants to turn it in reforged

Level 11
i dont even know what latest patch is when i try to download anything it wants to turn it in reforged

You will need to upgrade to reforged to be able to open this, with that being said, its possible to downgrade the map using Drake's tool.

From the look of things, it was made in reforged, so you may end missing models if you do downgrade it.

NEW UPDATE!

The re-terrain-ing of the cliffs is finally complete! I'm much happier with how it all turned out, especially some of the later areas.

Spells have gotten the focus this time around with many new effect models and refinements. There is a whole new family of beam/ray spells! Many old spells have been reworked to be more interesting as well.

I started on the southern continent also, which should factor into the mid game, but wont be playable until the next release...

There have also been numerous improvements to resource filesize!

ty all!

humanarcher.png

Last edited:
I found that there wasn't really anything guiding me in a certain direction once I got the ship, so I naturally assumed I was meant to stay on the same continent. Others might think differently. It can be hard to predict how people will play your game, and this strikes me as the kind of game that doesn't want to put players on rails, which can be good too.

One way I could think of would be to implement quests, like I mentioned earlier. At least that way, people have some information and they still retain the freedom to decide where to go next. Something to think about, anyways.

NEXT UPDATE!

Behold the addition of crafting. You can now turn the mineral ores into armor at blacksmiths that work around various locations in the world. The southern continent has also opened up! It has a prehistoric feel to it.

There is a few new models (the pack for example) and the stalker's dodge ability has been redone to be more like blocking in a fighting game. Darkmoor has also been blocked off until a quest in the north is complete.

ty for all the feedback! Also checkout the discord server which should call out hosted games via wc3maps bot

crafting.png

Last edited:
PERF UPDATE!

Pretty significant update this time around. I have found a way to do all the triggers with trees as destructibles instead of units! This subtle change means big boosts to map loading speed as well as playtime. Not to mention I can now use the default trees+textures and don't have to deal with the tree of white boxes glitch. I think it looks better now :)

A few new abilities and ability tweaks (Omnislash!) as well as new gemstone based recipes for casters. Abilities also now cost spirit, but battles give you +5 spirit if you win (-1 spirit if you lose).

And yes, this is reforged only. (lots of custom models...)

@Ardenaso I'm curious if you can open it in the editor or without quenching.

upload_2021-1-17_19-56-50.png

Last edited:
STORY UPDATE!

I've focused on lore this time around. There is now a sweet intro title scene! Many dialogues/quests/interactions have been added to direct players on their quest to defeat Chaos. There is also a new main character who will guide your journey once you can break his curse.

The most important detail has also been added: the Orbs! Bosses will now drop orbs which will be key to progression in the story.

upload_2021-1-24_12-29-5.png

Level 2
This is amazing. Love ur game so much. Have a big doubt, whether to play it now, or wait until it becomes even better and gets more content.

Ok. Let's start with bugs.

1. Egg sacks non-destrucktable, so sandstone cavern is bugged
2. Rider charge can teleport over walls, cliffs, mountains, anything
upload_2021-1-31_19-45-18.png

got blocked in cliffs, good I had tp. Sandroach Hive

Swimming is someway bugged. Sometimes you get half hp down just within entering the ship and without encountering enemies

Small healing potion heals full hp

upload_2021-1-31_20-5-12.png

Amazing. Insta kill.

Southern Island is full of bugs. Most locations don't work, such as glad pit, battles, fishing village, etc.

What's even oxyale potion? No visible effect

Farmer's daughter quest doesn't seem to work. At least not really found out how to complete it, though killed all ogres in dungeon

Volcano island non-landable. Tiki village doesn't work at least.
On-water pirates are too often

Island with dragoon tower, etc also non-accessible

upload_2021-1-31_20-14-31.png

also no pathing

upload_2021-1-31_20-18-49.png

Well. Same. No landing.

Ok, Now it seems this all wasn't random. Just non-implemented locations. Suprisingly, north works fine. And has much weaker creeps then south. (???) South was easy to farm though. And too much money everywhere.

Charcoal recipe has huge cd. Why?

Blue dragon lair doesn't work

Prolly charcoal could be used to burn icewalls. But no.

So, all in all. Map looks like an extremely raw alpha of an amazing map. Hope author continues working on it, and we would see a nice map someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
reposting from the discord:

there's lots of things to improve: there needs to be a quest panel, and right at the start of the game the Trader will already say his thing so we could enter the chapel

the characters' movespeed should be buffed while inside instances to avoid dragging it out like when in that tunnel or bridge

I believe the creeps should be scaled down for each less player so that those who play alone couldn't get tilted early on (or maybe I just suck against those magic salamanders?) for immersion I believe there should be decorative things to add: like a shoreline on that Windmill and then another safe farm instance for immersion (probably a quest to reward you with some more gold and spirit on defeating the evil faction). Also the archer on the Windmill looks a bit "elegant" for a farmer, can I request Jennalla model instead?

not a fan of static units that don't level up but I guess I'll give this a chance

also the spirit should not be consumable since it does the same thing anyway while passive

P.S.: I want that militia archer model

NEW UPDATE!

The Amazon Rainforest Island has been added! The rivers are now blocked off with rocks so you will have to find another way in...

There are more/fixed quests in the starting area along with some tips to get people headed south after finishing Eastmoor.

I'm still not able to get the codeless save and load system to work, so if anyone can help out with that then ppl won't have to start over every update!

1619937823941.png

NEXT UPDATE!

The Sunken Ruins have been expanded and the Abyss Orb now resides there. The underwater areas have more ambiance now with sound and some ocean light rays. Areas now have 3D/environmental sounds. Pirate attack animation sound fixed.

Many quests have been added to the desert continent Eradun, as well as the Pyramid Boss has been reworked and is now the holder of the Time Orb. Quest progression should now get you up to about 1/2 of the game now! In theory it is possible to fight and beat the boss of the game as well, provided you have all 12 Orbs.

Spirit rewards for Battles have been reduced to +3, but more quests reward Spirit along with a new float text callout. You can now learn Bash in Eastmoor. Spellbooks now add a little damage.

Save/Load system added!

1621633634682.png

Last edited:
NEXT UPDATE!

Fixed many bugs with battle region sizing that could cause Return to not work especially while at sea. Also fixed casting scroll of townportal while at sea. Bash damage now scales with attack. Block cooldown reduced. Axes now tend to add critical strike while Hammers tend to add bash.

Ports are now their own locations with NPCs! Townportals also anchor to ports as well as towns.

Updated Desert continent starting area and the Badlands. Added some quests and dialogue here as well.

1622424768059.png
1622425303351.png

Last edited:
SKILLS UPDATE!

Massive update this time around. I also had to rename the savefile to something other than save.txt... so codes are reset.

but

many things have changed that make a fresh playthrough worth it! Skills are now tied to a specific hotkey which in turn is tied to a specific slot on the command card. This makes it so your left hand rests on the hotkeys which are laid out the same as the command card. It is much more intuitive!

Many job skill trees have been refined and classes have many more abilities to use. Block and Defend have been combined into a new active Block (D) skill. Priests can now Dodge (D) and the skill is available to Archers earlier, in Eastmoor. Archers can now equip shields. Zealots can now equip Axes.

Many terrain updates to multiple areas as well!

skillz.png