• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Please ideeas for makeing a menu :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
pls non vjass ideeas :p

i planing make a craft menu, basically something like tavern, so click to unit and craft it, but for me not enough 11 slot :/

1st i thought about disable the user control (cinematic thing) or letterbox mode then i create a multiboard list where i can navigate with arrow keys but the problem the letterbox mode/disable user controll is kick out the player keypressing detection triggers (i mean u cant detect if a player press example the left arrow key during disabled user ctrl or in letterbox mode)

post link with demo map http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2229641-post25.html

118503d1350145415-please-ideeas-makeing-menu-p-2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 28
You're not being very clear on what exactly it is you're trying to do with that menu.
You mentioned something about units, if so you can use a tavern-like system, but with a spell book (Like "Ranged", "Melee", "Caster"-spell books, each containing 10 units or so).
Same idea if you want items or heroes or whatever.

Level 17
You're not being very clear on what exactly it is you're trying to do with that menu.
You mentioned something about units, if so you can use a tavern-like system, but with a spell book (Like "Ranged", "Melee", "Caster"-spell books, each containing 10 units or so).
Same idea if you want items or heroes or whatever.

see, with spellbook the problem is same with tavern, the item limit is 11-12, try image something where have 200 craftable item, then u create 200/12 spellbook and 200 spell dummy for immitate a Weapon blacksmith npc?

atm my current solution was with tavern, i try explain how it work:

1. have a market place, there our "craftable items" (its purchasble that the fact) and a dummy unit what got a craft icon (like hammer)
2. a unit buy 1 item
a) we save the item type to a variable, like: current_craft[player number of buying unit] = sold item type
b) we save the current_crafter_player = player number of buying unit
c) with trigger we remove the sold item from buying unit
d) we enable dummy unit type to neutral player (this way the dummy unit will be trainable)
e) we start train 1 dummy unit with trigger
f) when dummy unit is trained we disable dummy unit type for neutral player
g) remove trained unit
h) add to hero[current_crafter_player] this item current_craft[player number of hero[current_crafter_player]]

i hope now u got what i mean, this look like a crafting because when u start train the dummy unit then have progressbar and look like a real crafting, but the problem is, you cant do this with alot item without useing:
a) damn much market place npc
b) alot dummy ability and spellbook
c) ugly dialog box with alot page :/

Level 28
I didn't really account for 200+ craftable items (that is way too much in my opinion, but okay).
Creating a full-screen crafting table isn't exactly that hard, and no JASS is needed for that.
84017d1277025549-aeronauts-shopmenu.jpg

This was an arrow key-based GUI system I made a long time ago (I think I lost the map).
It would be a lot nicer to do in JASS (because it's a lot easier to edit descriptions and all that), but it is still possible in GUI.

You'll still need a lot of dummies for the icons though (and with many craftable items, the setup will be a real pain in GUI).

Advantages:
  • Can be made to look like a real crafting table.
  • A progress bar can easily be added.
  • Looks kinda cool.

Disadvantages:
  • You need some dead space in the map.
  • It will be a mess in GUI (if you've got many items).
  • Will take some time to create.

Level 17
I didn't really account for 200+ craftable items (that is way too much in my opinion, but okay).
Creating a full-screen crafting table isn't exactly that hard, and no JASS is needed for that.
84017d1277025549-aeronauts-shopmenu.jpg

This was an arrow key-based GUI system I made a long time ago (I think I lost the map).
It would be a lot nicer to do in JASS (because it's a lot easier to edit descriptions and all that), but it is still possible in GUI.

You'll still need a lot of dummies for the icons though (and with many craftable items, the setup will be a real pain in GUI).

Advantages:
  • Can be made to look like a real crafting table.
  • A progress bar can easily be added.
  • Looks kinda cool.

Disadvantages:
  • You need some dead space in the map.
  • It will be a mess in GUI (if you've got many items).
  • Will take some time to create.

but this isnt improve alot the map size if u must import alot icon?
u make camera look down with 90 grade to ground and replace tree models with imported blp's?

biggest probl;em is, u need alot map if this isnt a single player rpg, no? could be huge size if u do for 10 player :/

Level 28
No, you just need to import 1 model for all icons you need (and some more models for the borders if you would want that).
Those models are about 1kB each, more or less the size of a text file.

Basically you create a destructible for every icon you need and then just change the texture of them to that of the icon.

So they're not tree models, they're all custom models (with a very small filesize).

Edit: oh, and the green selector-model was also custom imported, but I don't remember what I used as a base model for that :S

Level 17
No, you just need to import 1 model for all icons you need (and some more models for the borders if you would want that).
Those models are about 1kB each, more or less the size of a text file.

Basically you create a destructible for every icon you need and then just change the texture of them to that of the icon.

So they're not tree models, they're all custom models (with a very small filesize).

Edit: oh, and the green selector-model was also custom imported, but I don't remember what I used as a base model for that :S

but each player need different place for it, no?
there could be huge map area cut, no?

Level 9
either you make it impossible for 2 players at the same time or you search for another solution...

if you wanna do that for every player at the same time theres no work around to use less space...

Level 17
either you make it impossible for 2 players at the same time or you search for another solution...

if you wanna do that for every player at the same time theres no work around to use less space...

sorry but i dont got point in this post, i opened the thread exactly for get a good solution, since this thing is more specific than a common regular system i can't just type "craft mpi list progressnar" into search field.......

Level 9
this post was meantto answer your question...
so a good ideea how to make something without huge map area cost?

so if you want the solution ap0calypse showed you you either have to trigger to prevent 2 player to use that at the same time or you have to use the needed space....if not you have to search (or use the word wait) for another solution...

nothing else...

Level 17
this post was meantto answer your question...

so if you want the solution ap0calypse showed you you either have to trigger to prevent 2 player to use that at the same time or you have to use the needed space....if not you have to search (or use the word wait) for another solution...

nothing else...

that not solution lol abuseable easily, like ideea was good but like solution no.

Level 28
that not solution lol abuseable easily, like ideea was good but like solution no.
He just gave you 2 options, no solution :p
So, if you do what I suggested, then you either make sure that only 1 player can craft at the same time (not recommended, but possible and not abusable), or you need some dead space for the system (since maps can be really big, that would be the most fitting solution).

I'll just list the possibilities here (there may be more, this is all I can think of for now):
  • Dialog system (Positive: easy, doesn't require any dummies; Negative: ugly interface).
  • Multiboard system (Positive: may look good, doesn't require any dummies; Negative: camera needs to be locked for that + a lot of work).
  • Tavern system (Positive: familiar for most people; Negative: requires a lot of dummies).
  • Full-screen system (Positive: looks good; Negative: requires some dummies, requires dead space).

Anyway, what are your thoughts so far? Anything you like, or do you want to continue searching?

Level 17
He just gave you 2 options, no solution :p
So, if you do what I suggested, then you either make sure that only 1 player can craft at the same time (not recommended, but possible and not abusable), or you need some dead space for the system (since maps can be really big, that would be the most fitting solution).

I'll just list the possibilities here (there may be more, this is all I can think of for now):
  • Dialog system (Positive: easy, doesn't require any dummies; Negative: ugly interface).
  • Multiboard system (Positive: may look good, doesn't require any dummies; Negative: camera needs to be locked for that + a lot of work).
  • Tavern system (Positive: familiar for most people; Negative: requires a lot of dummies).
  • Full-screen system (Positive: looks good; Negative: requires some dummies, requires dead space).

Anyway, what are your thoughts so far? Anything you like, or do you want to continue searching?

1. i use alot dialog system and if i do everything with dialog then a bit boreing :/
2. why do u need locked camera? you can explain more about ur ideea?
3. tavern solution is too much work for dummies if u check in my signature the map how many item exist there
4. that very eye candy but if i want do it with only 1 area then easily abuseable, like somebody go afk in shop :/

Level 28
1) Agreed.

2) If you use a multiboard, you have no other option but to do it with arrow keys (using abilities to browse would be a bit too slow).
I would still use dead space with this, but it's a lot less: a single square of dead space should do for all players (when opening the menu, move the camera to that black square and zoom it in all the way - multiboards are not affected by other players and by camera zoom).
Lock the camera so the screen doesn't move :p

3) Yeah, that's a lot of items. That's going to be pretty rough if you want taverns :p

4) Indeed, but I think you can make the doodads smaller and zoom in, though I have no idea how much this will affect how it looks (haven't tried that).

Just as a general note: it's "ideas", not "ideeas" :).

Level 28
Screen resolution doesn't matter: multiboards use percentages of the total screen size.
If you use 27-28 rows and set all columns to a total of 100%, it will fill the entire screen.

That said, it is still hard to make it look good, that's going to be a job of trial-and-error. You also can't change the text/icon size.

Level 17
Screen resolution doesn't matter: multiboards use percentages of the total screen size.
If you use 27-28 rows and set all columns to a total of 100%, it will fill the entire screen.

That said, it is still hard to make it look good, that's going to be a job of trial-and-error. You also can't change the text/icon size.

Screen resolution what really matter because if u know it then u can calculate how much " " (space) needed before the word what u want write out, so you can shift the words to center with space characters. whatever i will try out what can i do if really dont have a good solution to every requiment

Level 28
Screen resolution what really matter because if u know it then u can calculate how much " " (space) needed before the word what u want write out, so you can shift the words to center with space characters.
Well, screen resolution still wouldn't matter in that case.
If you want to center a word in a multiboard, you need 2 columns: set 1 column to roughly 40% width and the other to (100 - column 1) width.
Then place the word in column 2 and it's about centered.

I just tried this in windowed mode (where you can mess around with the resolution all you want) and it seems to work.
Of course, the longer the word, the smaller column 1's width needs to be.

And well, I really don't have any other solutions for you. You wanted ideas, I've given you 4 of them. Your job to find out which one is most suited to your needs :)

Level 17
Well, screen resolution still wouldn't matter in that case.
If you want to center a word in a multiboard, you need 2 columns: set 1 column to roughly 40% width and the other to (100 - column 1) width.
Then place the word in column 2 and it's about centered.

I just tried this in windowed mode (where you can mess around with the resolution all you want) and it seems to work.
Of course, the longer the word, the smaller column 1's width needs to be.

And well, I really don't have any other solutions for you. You wanted ideas, I've given you 4 of them. Your job to find out which one is most suited to your needs :)

right :p

here a map, maybe u got few tip for it (still camera not locked)

Attachments

• multiboard shop.w3x
    32.9 KB · Views: 56
Level 28
Looks kinda cool right now. I thought you were making a crafting system and not a shop, but that's all right :D
Well, you obviously need to put in more information (what do those numbers from 700 to 1100 mean for example?)
I think those other numbers (like 900-909) are ID's?

Then make some categories (ranged weapons, swords, ... ).
Personally, I was thinking of something like this:
DesignExample.png
(So every category has its own list of items, you're currently browsing through the "Shields"-category).
Of course, this is just a quick example. You might have better ideas :).

Level 17
so overall, still the correct info text and the correct item name, but still viable.

see the screenshot pls, this is how the buying shop connected with crafting with crafting progressbar included with only 2 dummy (crafter dummy+crafted dummy) for that much item what u want :p

in demo:
- shop started if u buy 1 item (still isnt changed but i will make a dummy item with "BUY/CRAFT from shop" item name :p)
- i made reicipe only for enhancement\kelen's dagger of escape item
(need 2x potion of invulnarability and 1x lesser bla bla potion)

do you like it?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,643
  • multiboard shop2.w3x
    49.8 KB · Views: 56
Level 18
I'm a zero in triggerinning, mine is a really simple idea, maybe stupid, but I just want to tell my opinion.
You can create a building, like a shop, for each player. everytime you pick an item up, remove it, and make that shop to sell it with 0 cost, once bought remove it from the selling items. Sell the tooken item or drop it to replace in that shop.
As you said, shops can sell max 11 items, then use the last 2 spots for upgrading and degrading the shop, so you'll have a new shop with new spots.

For example, Shop 1 has Y items, W free slots -> upgrade Shop 2, X items, Z free slots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.