• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Throwback Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
t1Dw1vg.png

Hey, did anyone notice? It's been 10 years since RoC came out, and almost the same for TFT. So I had an idea - let's have a throwback challenge.

What does this mean? Well, I've seen so many terrains over the past few years that don't even look like Warcraft anymore. That was cool in 2007, because Warcraft was still a relatively new game and it was fun to see what kind of tricked-out maps you could make with custom models. Now, though, I find the old Warcraft III look very nostalgic and appealing, and the custom models look pretty awful compared to newer modder-friendly games that are coming out.

The conditions are these:
  • No imported resources
  • No custom settings/object editor
  • Must use the standard version of the World Editor (NO newgen, NO miscdata.txt, etc - must be as is from installation)
  • Must be fully playable
  • Does not need to be a melee map

This isn't a contest or anything, just a challenge - you'll receive major props from me if you come up with something really creative or just damn well done, for all that's worth.

Who's interested? Come on guys, I even made a banner.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

This sounds very interesting, might join in :)

Level 36
While I don't totally agree to the whole "Wc3 is so nostalgic and HQ models look like crap compared to better engines"
I might just have to spew something out for you, since you went through the trouble of actually nudging me about this.

I take it this is a slack challenge with no particular deadline, cause I won't be able to get anything done in at the very least a weeks time or so.

Level 36
No custom settings/object editor means what? you have to work direclty what is given to you, so no scaling of rocks for example?

You can scale them in the editor itself, but only within the default parameters (0.80 to 1.20 for most objects).

Likewise you cannot change the max/min scale, default scale, pitch/roll angles, tint colors, OR PATHING of any object.

Pretty much the worst idea since the holocaust.
Sounds like a big smelly poop.

Then don't participate? Also gtfo my thread.

Last edited:
Level 36
Right.
- Now I'm starting to see what's wrong with this.

You expect us to not tint, not roll, not even scale the doodads as we want to?
What other stupid limitations are there, cause I'd like to know em all before I consider
making anything for this challenge.

Oh and playable? In the sense that you want us to provide you the map?
- Not just a screenshot?

Level 28
Well I'm interested in this, seems quick and fun.

And do you expect the map to be animated and playable in the fashion of a blizzard campaign? Or only the terrain?

I see what you're looking for, just like what we used to do with the World Editor back when we were around 12 (or maybe older, but with little "intimacy" with the WE)!

Level 36
Well I'm interested in this, seems quick and fun.

And do you expect the map to be animated and playable in the fashion of a blizzard campaign? Or only the terrain?

Naw you don't have to make triggers or anything. For mine I just made a custom unit to explore the map and put a few enemies in.

I see what you're looking for, just like what we used to do with the World Editor back when we were around 12 (or maybe older, but with little "intimacy" with the WE)!

Totally.

Level 18
I'll join this, Haven't done anything on warcraft in about a year, this should be interesting to do, plus it will be good to go back to the good old times before all the customization of the editor. Good idea Void.

Just asking, are you allowed to modify the tileset? Or do you have to stick to one specific tileset? I don't mind either way.

I believe that there is only the no WE hack tilesets meaning choice for the tileset is limited to the normal WE only.
If we aren't aloud to mix tilesets than I am going to rage even more. D:

Edit: Meh WIP time!

For anyone who could be bothered to open this in WE, any advice would be cool.

Attachments

• DC Limited ;_;.w3x
    48 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Level 14
For anyone who could be bothered to open this in WE, any advice would be cool.

This is looking pretty good. Very regular WC3 like. I assume you are planning on doing something with the waterfalls that are just floating in the middle of nowhere so I won't criticize them.

I think the next step might be to add some rock models to give it a little texture. I like the tileset you used with the snow and it has good tile variation and height differences. All in all a pretty good start, keep it up.

The water is actually going to be one of the hardest parts considering how badly touchy Blizzard made it.
Although possible to make different heights of water there are large gaps between the variety.
Another annoying thing about blizzard water when making these kinds of terrains is that the terrain height gets reset.
Blizzard water could have been made so much more better, but oh well all the more challenge for me.

Might finish this terrain off within the next thew days, but we'll see.

Here you go.
Should of submitted this terrain ~6 hours ago, although my laziness got the better of me, also considering how many distractions I had.
I am submitting this as a WIP at the moment as the obvious end of the world, edge of the map and I would like to fix that before submitting this to the map section.

Enjoy!
Note that this is a playable terrain.
Criticism always welcome!

Attachments

• Winter Play ZoneWIP.w3x
    63 KB · Views: 118
Status
Not open for further replies.