• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here I am, doing my campaign, and I decide that the models I'm using at the moment for the main characters are just getting a bit annoying and don't match my loading screen drawings at all. So I decided to begin modelling my own!

Yes, it is a bit high-poly, but there's going to be some close-up shots of these in my campaign, so I want it to look good.

I think I'm almost finished with the modelling part (except for fixing the wings, doing that now), so now I need some skins! But I'll post that later. Next up is to do a bit of animating!

So tell me what you think so far.

Attachments

• Pyritie WIP.JPG
    Pyritie WIP.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 492

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Very nice.
The legs are too straight down under the body. Reptiles tend to have their arms and legs come out from their sides and not facing foward under them like a horse, maybe move them to look more reptile like and less mammal like. Also reptiles (dragons are meant to be reptiles or atleast semi related) tend to have their claws diging into the ground more than resting on it like feet, and their fingers with the claws are more spread out than a human foot which it looks like you gave the dragon.

The 2 things I say must be changed are.
The tail Z and Y bands need to be rotated and not off set, the reason why was said eariler since it will lead to the tail seeming to grow and shrink when animating as well as making it harder to animate.
The feet look to unreal and just do not fit the dragon properly, they definatly need work.​

I've fixed the tail thing, now just gonna fix the feet. But I don't think the feet digging in to ground would really work, because then it would just look like the animation's all screwed up.

I don't plan on adding spikes, since that would add quite a few more polies. I might do that for the evil one, Firch... (Hint Hint [play campaign now!!!11one])

Level 45
from what i remember gmax has this, just apply this modifier:

if the faces screw up its to do with the topology, just manually cut the faces where it screws up to fix that issue.

Im no master at this technical stuff ..so TDR would be a better advisor...

and..my rat..just chewed my headphone cord in..half...=_=

Attachments

• kk.jpg
    kk.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 224
Level 12
If you still have triangles when the model is a poly object you can try selecting edges and press backspace to removed the triangle but still having the polygon. You should really fix those wings. There are currently alot of heptagons (7-sided polygons).

When you are finnished with the rigg could I please have a copy the max file? :} Btw you should always fix the uv and texture it before rigging.

It is accepted that a wc3 model uses 3-sided and 4-sided polygons.
Ngons (polies with more than 4 sides) are not recomended as it will give nasty results. So whatever you do, Pyritie, stay away from the ngons.

I remember that you can fix it by using Connect on two selected vertexes (I suppose Gmax has a similar function in the Vertex editing thingy), or welding a vertex to it's neighbour vertex.

Nice model, btw.

Well, I don't quite see why I need to have all of the triangles visible on the wireframe, because if you go to "Edit Triangulation" then it shows all of the 'hidden' triangles.

I'll add all of the triangles when I'm done btw.

Besides, this is just the model. The skin will add more stuff, if you will. But the main character in my campaign is a 14-year-old, so it kinda has to be at least a little cute.

Dragons don't have to be all evillish. Dragons being evil is just something humans made up because they were pissed off at them eating their sheep. The dragons only ate their sheep because the humans had killed most of the wildlife the dragons would normally prey on, so they had no other choice.

[/rant]

Last edited:
I'll start wrapping it now.

But that is that lighter orange blob for? The wings? And what is that little strip down the right edge?

EDIT: This is how it looks now, using a WoW texture (I'm a bad person :p), so I'm gonna start redoing it now. *sigh*

Attachments

• Pyritie WIP.JPG
    Pyritie WIP.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Pyritie WIP2.JPG
    Pyritie WIP2.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Pyritie WIP3.JPG
    Pyritie WIP3.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Because they're supposed to look different from the rest of the dragons.

And the in-game textures are not very good for certain things I want to do with this model.

EDIT: Fuck, fuck, FUCK!!! I just spent 5 hours on mapping the texture, it was almost done, and then I go to save it, and then because gmax was getting a bit buggy I go to restart it, and then when it opens again all my work is gone! And on my birthday, of all days!

SHIT!!
I don't feel like working on this any more today.

Last edited:
Well, it seems like yesterday I accidentally discovered how texture animation works! I had the little animation bar set to like halfway across, and it was in animate mode for some reason. It seems that when I went to reopen it, the slider went back over to 0, so it looked like I lost everything, but sliding the bar along told me that the skinning was fine. All that was needed to fix it was to slide the little key over to 0.

Yay, my work didn't get destroyed! :grin:

But I don't know if gmax has autosaves or not. I don't think so, since it already has tons of limitations on stupid crap.

Oh, and Dionesiist, keep working on that skin, it looks much better than the wow texture already! (But please just make the mouth outer part a little bigger, as in pull its lips towards each other. See picture. And also the leg is a little retarded.)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 143
Omfg bump!

I'm just doing this so this thread doesn't get locked due to its last reply being older than three months.

But I can tell you that I've restarted work on this and the UVing is about half done.

That and Dionesiist has made a very good skin for Firch, the dark green one. HappyTauren and WILLTHEALMIGHTY have made a yellow and black version as well, although HT's is as of yet unfinished.

Status
Not open for further replies.