• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an idea about how to get more people give credits to the authors of custom resources they used in maps.
because some just missed the "GIVE CREDIT" part in the discription or readme, I thought how do you MAKE them read the discrption or readme? so, what if you mess with the mdl so it doesn't work ingame any more, and tell in the discription how to fix it and you'll also put in the discription that they should give credits if they use it. and if they don't read the discription or readme thurougly they wont have a model to use, and if they do the chance of them noticing the "GIVE CREDIT" part is much higher I think.

what do you people think of this idea?

Level 5

I fully agree... too many people aren't giving credit for the makers of the models. When people don't give credit to the maker of the skin/model/etc... they gives themselves credit. Everyone thinks they are awesome at modeling when it was really the work of someone else. I have no idea how to make someone have to read a 'readme'. But i can try to figure out if you'd like.
Cya,
BrownSnow

Ki

Ki

Level 7
Assuming that only idiots don't credit and the people of average intelligence do, I say just put your name in the file name. It wouldn't always stop someone from not giving credit, but I don't think a complicated system is required.

Level 22
Heck, people won't even credits when they steal eachother's MAPS, let alone their individual imported models & skins.

I'll tell you what olof, if you want, I can make a blacklist sticky in the maps forums for where people can report stolen maps or maps with large amounts of uncredited material. Considering that you put more effort into your models/skins then most put into their entire maps, I do feel you deserve your credit, even at the cost of the thieve's map.
-VGsatomi

Level 5
well, the thing is... even if you do get credit, what is the good of it? people who read the credits of maps just say "o he is a good modeler" and thats it. There is really no point in giving credit... except your own self satisfaction.

Yes there is a point
you should be glad all those modelers give away models FOR FREE
and as for me, the ONLY thing I ask in return is the credit I deserve for making them, that is not a big favor to ask.
Do you have ANY idea how feckin annoying it is when someone acts like they made something but infact you did, it's stealing, it's wrong, so give credit.

The point?
fame, if some one is really good at modeling, but all the resources get stolen and they dont get credit, the name of the author will stay fairly unkown.

I'll tell you what olof, if you want, I can make a blacklist sticky in the maps forums for where people can report stolen maps or maps with large amounts of uncredited material. Considering that you put more effort into your models/skins then most put into their entire maps, I do feel you deserve your credit, even at the cost of the thieve's map.
Hell yeah! that would be awesome.
though there should be a distinction between newbies and stealers, some newbies just don't know they have to give credit, they may be naive or or something, but their intentions are good, and some people just don't care.

and maybe there should be a rule, that if a person doesn't give credit X times = ban

Edit: here is the first stealing bastard
NightElf.Mage
he made a map called LOTR good vs evil.
I posted a comment on his map about that he should give credit and stuff, later a new version of the map appeared, then my guess was that he noticed his mistake and fixed it, but no... he STILL didn't give credit to the authors, so, I posted a new comment.
and sure enough, a new version appeared, I though to myself, I wonder.... and you guessed it, NO CREDIT. and what's worse, the number of custom models only INCREASED! and he also used my models in that latest version, I cannot post a link because it has magicly vanished. the name of the last version was "LOTR Good vs Evil v4.8"

This guy should SERIOUSLY be on that new blacklist

Status
Not open for further replies.