• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thunder Escape - I need your ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hello everyone,

I am going to produce a map again which as a matter of course is going to be an escape map again.
I'd like to make it 96 x 96 for now, after the map is released I am always able to update and enlarge it.

The escape is going to be called Thunder Escape which will have an story. Also I am going to split it into 3 Stages.

Here is the Main Story for Stage 1:
Dawrves, living deep in the Mountains of Tan'drem are surprisingly attacked by a horde of demons willing to take over their region.
Due to their enormous number, the Dwarves are forced to get to the Shrine of Rak'nem, to call Rak'nem, the envoy of Thor the Thundergod, for help.
Unfortunately, the path to that Shrine is overwhelmed with enemies and directly leads into a horde of those demons.
A twist of fate which decides whether to live or to die...

As you can see from my other Map Tutorial Escape, I love escape possibilities which are different then usual ones.
This affects the map not to be boring and become hated map!
And here is the problem, where you can take part to solve it ...
I need ideas. A laaaawwt of ideas! As you can infer from the name of this project, I need escape possibilities based on Lightning.
For the other stages, I haven't planned anything serious yet, still it would also be nice and helpful for me to give me some other ideas (maybe based on demonic escape possibilities).

I'd be pleased if you could add a picture from your idea to your reply so that I can better understand what you mean ;)
Accepted ideas will be paid with reputation for the inventors and given proper credits in the Map!

Depending on the amount of escape possibilities coming through into my map, this project is going to become reality!

Update List

Last edited:
Level 17
I got one small idea, which is that you know hot the lightning never hits twice? Well...
Thats it :D To get through this part, you actually have to go hit by the lightning to be able to get through. But there are problems, you can't walk on that thing, nor that thingy, but you can walk on them if you already got hit by lightning :)

So if I understood you correctly - there is a place where lightning bolts fall down from heaven randomly every ... X seconds and you have to get hit by one of them to be "charged" and e.g. open a electricity-driven door or sth?
I think I keep that in mind :p

Level 15
Ah! An escape map about lightning you love lightning no?
Anyway, some ideas:
Electrical Redirection- You need to place some wards to redirect a source of lightning to another point. If you do that, the gate will open.
E.g. There is 1 lightning source and 1 lightning end point. You must place wards near the lightning source so that the lightning will flow to the ward, then you must place another ward near an already placed ward and it will flow to that wards... until the last ward is near an end point. There could be like 3 sources and 3 end points and you have only a certain amount of wards to place.

Lightning Defenses- You have to place some lightning reflecting shield things at a point to reflect the bolts of lightning shot out from some machines so you can pass through the lightning fences.
E.g. There are 2 lightning generators and you have to place the shields such that their next strike (maybe they strike once every 5 seconds) will be reflected to a lightning fence generator (destroy 1 of each lightning fence to disable lightning fence, so you need to think which one could be destroyed more easily). Once you clear all the lightning fences, you can move on.

Circle Dungeon- You're in a circular dungeon and being chased by some guards. Your job is to kill the guards using the electrical points near in the dungeon. You can connect all the points together to create an electric shock, killing anyone (even you) in contact with any of the "energy lines". Once you kill all the enemy, the gate shall open.

Good Luck :D

PS: I realised how JASS pwns, but how do you do that kind of knockback, since the TriggerSleepAction doesn't allow anything less than 0.21 or something, the knockback isn't smooth.

Level 17
Electrical Redirection- You need to place some wards to redirect a source of lightning to another point. If you do that, the gate will open.
E.g. There is 1 lightning source and 1 lightning end point. You must place wards near the lightning source so that the lightning will flow to the ward, then you must place another ward near an already placed ward and it will flow to that wards... until the last ward is near an end point. There could be like 3 sources and 3 end points and you have only a certain amount of wards to place.

Good idea, I keep that in mind.

Lightning Defenses- You have to place some lightning reflecting shield things at a point to reflect the bolts of lightning shot out from some machines so you can pass through the lightning fences.
E.g. There are 2 lightning generators and you have to place the shields such that their next strike (maybe they strike once every 5 seconds) will be reflected to a lightning fence generator (destroy 1 of each lightning fence to disable lightning fence, so you need to think which one could be destroyed more easily). Once you clear all the lightning fences, you can move on.

Hmm I think of this. Maybe I change some points in here, but if it's used you will gain credits for original idea.

Circle Dungeon- You're in a circular dungeon and being chased by some guards. Your job is to kill the guards using the electrical points near in the dungeon. You can connect all the points together to create an electric shock, killing anyone (even you) in contact with any of the "energy lines". Once you kill all the enemy, the gate shall open.

I don't understand 100%. Could you somehow make a picture from your idea? (Maybe with Paint or sth, doesn't have to be Picasso-like)

Last edited:
Level 15
55912d1243740633-thunder-escape-i-need-your-ideas-circledungeon.jpg

Ok, its a horribly drawn diagram but it should do.
First, the legend:
Black Lines- Dungeon Walls
Blue Dots- Electric Points
Red Dots- Guards that will chase you
Gray Points- Possible Gate openings

Ok, first, your escapee will start somewhere random and guards will start chasing you. You will first use a skill on one of the electrical points and it will be the connected. When you next cast the skill, the next electric point will also be connected and a lightning effect will connect the electric point and the previously connected point. When you connect all the points, the lightning effects thing will kill anyone in contact with it (it will trigger about 0.5 seconds after you connect all the points) and when you kill all the guards, one of the gate openings open.

Maybe you could reduce the amount of guards :)

Last edited:
Level 17
55912d1243740633-thunder-escape-i-need-your-ideas-circledungeon.jpg

Ok, its a horribly drawn diagram but it should do.
First, the legend:
Black Lines- Dungeon Walls
Blue Dots- Electric Points
Red Dots- Guards that will chase you
Gray Points- Possible Gate openings

Ok, first, your escapee will start somewhere random and guards will start chasing you. You will first use a skill on one of the electrical points and it will be the connected. When you next cast the skill, the next electric point will also be connected and a lightning effect will connect the electric point and the previously connected point. When you connect all the points, the lightning effects thing will kill anyone in contact with it (it will trigger about 0.5 seconds after you connect all the points) and when you kill all the guards, one of the gate openings open.

Maybe you could reduce the amount of guards :)

First of all thanks for bothering that. Now I understood what you mean. Mhm I think it is possible to make, however this is somehow wierd :x I won't say NO to it, but I will prefer the other possibilities at first :D thx again

Level 17
If you wan't to keep to the nordic mythology then you could make something where you need to flee from the Fenris Wolf or something like that. And call the demons "Jætter".

Oh well I will think of names and such later xD I need some basic ideas first.

Ok everyone, I made some ideas become real ...
Part 1

Preview 1.jpg
This is called the "Lightning Orb". It will change its height always and spin around its lightning tails. You have to avoid getting hit by the lightning tails.
Before you say "Zomg wtf rofl lol how to get thru dat barricade?!!" - The lightning whips will change their distance to the Orb depending on the Orbs height. That makes the lightning tails spin and move their impact position ALWAYS and yes, you can get through that!
Part 2

Preview 2 (1 von 2).jpg
Further, I had a funny though useful idea. I just made an ability called "Interact" and added it to the Escapers' abilities. If you use the spell on permitted targets, something will happen. Currently, I combined it with a so called "Mentor". That are buildings in form of question marks placed through the whole escape maze. If you use the spell on them, they will give you a tip which sometimes might help you finding a way to come through difficuilt barricades.
Preview 2 (2 von 2).jpg
Part 3

Preview 3.jpg
Ok, this is a combination out of my idea, doom_sheep's idea and Revolve's idea. It is a field where lightning bolts fall down from heaven randomly and causing a thunder wave (after some centiseconds) as you can partly see in the picture. These lightning bolts won't get into the safe area behind the lightning generators as you can imagine. Every 4 seconds (currently 4 sec, changes might be made), there will be a signal (fading effect) which means that the upcoming lightning bolt is very soon.
To avoid it, the other idea takes place - Jumping! I made an ability called "Jump" and added it to the escapers' abilities as well. If the signal for the next lightning bolt coming soon has appeared, jump if you don't wanna die.
But wait! There is a gate which has to be opened, else you can't get through! To open it, we may charge it because it is electricity-driven!
As you can see in the first picture in this box, there are 2 blue orbs and 2 columns. The orbs are "uncharged Orbs". Now imagine what you have to do! ;)
Preview 4.jpg
Part 4

I also made a Jump Area for the sliding part. It makes not really sense making a picture from the jump because it will only look like the unit is standing in the air :p Anway, here is a picture how the Jump Area looks like:
Preview 5.jpg
I made the sliding smooth what makes the Jump Area even more interesting.
If you wear Ice Skates, which give you control on the Ice, and you start walking on the ice, you will slowly increase your speed until it is at its maximum.
Now, if you slide onto a jumper, and you have low slidespeed, you will move only a bit as well. If you slide with high speed, you will be moved farer! This makes it really funny :D
Poor, that you can't see how smooth I made it >.< and no, I am not gonna make a video out of it :D at least not yet!

What I ask you for is more ideas!
Please, give me some of your creativity and also tell me how you find the current options I made! :D

Level 15
Looks awesome 0_0
Can't wait for it. No escape ideas for now, maybe sometime tomorrow :)
BTW, is the mountain king the only escaper you can choose? Can you choose other kinds of escapers? If so, what's the difference between each one? Maybe they could have different sfx/sound when they complete a escape/cast a spell.
Maybe you should make the runners have some battle cry or something when he/she completes a level :D

+rep for awesomeness (200th rep!)

Level 17
Looks awesome 0_0
Can't wait for it. No escape ideas for now, maybe sometime tomorrow :)
BTW, is the mountain king the only escaper you can choose? Can you choose other kinds of escapers? If so, what's the difference between each one? Maybe they could have different sfx/sound when they complete a escape/cast a spell.
Maybe you should make the runners have some battle cry or something when he/she completes a level :D

+rep for awesomeness (200th rep!)

Well, since the story is about dwarves chased away the model for the escaper will be dwarf - so mountain king :D I look for that later anyway. I now need about 10 - 15 options to be able to start the real map.
Thx for feedback. +rep for that (also some million times xD)

Level 17
that lightning orb looks mighty suspicious... *cough*give credits if its mine*cough*

No worries, I didn't copy your idea ...
You surely won't believe me if I say that I forgot about your spell, but it's the truth.
Btw, - not meant as offend or something - this kind of spell was created hundred times before so it isn't really your original spell anyway. >.<

Level 9
No worries, I didn't copy your idea ...
You surely won't believe me if I say that I forgot about your spell, but it's the truth.
Btw, - not meant as offend or something - this kind of spell was created hundred times before so it isn't really your original spell anyway. >.<
lol i dont care, i mean i have only made 1 submitted spell, so what are the chances it original... btw good luck with the project!!

Level 12
Ooooh, you have got to leave a VP when you upload this ^_^

I have a small idea...
Let's say that your character is in a small field, where you are being chased around by small sentries.
These sentries will fire off lightning bolts at you, which you must evade(else die).
BUT! On the edge of the field there are several generators that will
be charged when hit by these lightning bolts. All of these generators must be charged with a certain amount
to open the gate. This amount should be a little under
the maximum charge, as the charge will slowly decrease the whole time.

So basically, you have to lure the sentries into firing at the generators by
evading their missiles.

Well thats my idea ;) Hope you like it^^

Level 17
Ooooh, you have got to leave a VP when you upload this ^_^

I have a small idea...
Let's say that your character is in a small field, where you are being chased around by small sentries.
These sentries will fire off lightning bolts at you, which you must evade(else die).
BUT! On the edge of the field there are several generators that will
be charged when hit by these lightning bolts. All of these generators must be charged with a certain amount
to open the gate. This amount should be a little under
the maximum charge, as the charge will slowly decrease the whole time.

So basically, you have to lure the sentries into firing at the generators by
evading their missiles.

Well thats my idea ;) Hope you like it^^

Sounds nice ... I think I will add this :)
Credit will be given when used & +rep

Level 2
Looks like it will be a nice map, cant wait till i play it :)
Anyway, I have 2 little ideas... Dont know if you'll understand what I mean, but here they are :p

1. You could make an unit that will shot lightnings towards objects, and the lightning bounces between them. The objects are moving along the maze, so the lightnings would always bounce in another place.

2. The second one came when i saw the Lightning Orb. Instead of making it to move around the maze, you could make the central orb to stay in one place and the other ones to spin around it (the central orb is conected to the other ones, so the escapers cant go between them) and somethimes to come closer or go further from it. This would be placed in a spiral maze, so the closer you get to the central orb, the harder it is to dodge from its tails.

Level 17
1. You could make an unit that will shot lightnings towards objects, and the lightning bounces between them. The objects are moving along the maze, so the lightnings would always bounce in another place.

I already made something like that :p thanks anyway for that idea.

2. The second one came when i saw the Lightning Orb. Instead of making it to move around the maze, you could make the central orb to stay in one place and the other ones to spin around it (the central orb is conected to the other ones, so the escapers cant go between them) and somethimes to come closer or go further from it. This would be placed in a spiral maze, so the closer you get to the central orb, the harder it is to dodge from its tails.

Well, I think the orb I made follows your idea anyway. The central orb doesn't move to another position. It only rises and sinks. The lightning tails connected to it will always spin around it and the central orb's height represents the distance between the orb and the tails endpoint (where they touch the ground). This means the orb does have a spiral effect.

As I said, thanks anyway for helping! +rep :D

Level 3
Maaabyyy..... make floor switches. U know, theres like these walls of lighting that spawn from one end to another. When someone presses them, they onviously die. So theres these hidden switches arround, when someone presses them, they lighting turns off and you can pass thru those walls. Kinda requires teamwork... IDK up to you to modify the idea. Lol.

Level 17
Maaabyyy..... make floor switches. U know, theres like these walls of lighting that spawn from one end to another. When someone presses them, they onviously die. So theres these hidden switches arround, when someone presses them, they lighting turns off and you can pass thru those walls. Kinda requires teamwork... IDK up to you to modify the idea. Lol.

I guess I can follow you. If I use it...dunno :D +rep for giving a reply.

Level 6
ok, maybe bit complex idea but:

Lightning maze:

its a maze. the walls are made of lighning. sounds dull, eh? well here's the catch: around the maze is spread two types of conductors. one will just stop any lightning that hits it, the other one will reflect it off in another direction. so its all about navigating the maze and manipulating the conductors to get through. might also require teamwork.

or maybe use the:
beneficial lightning: a cool twist. for some reason, we're assuming that the lightninh is evil. but arent we trying to call upon the (envoy of the) god of just that, lightning? so maybe we should also try to embrace the dude a little? you carry around some lightning conductors, and whenever you get hit by the good lightning, you get invulnerability for X seconds. the area would be packed with some demons that will one-shot you, so you have to stay protected.

Level 15
Unknown Switches
Well, in this, you have to like disable 3 electric walls. There are about 16 switches in a 4x4 pattern with a small pathway in between. Three of the switches disable the wall but you don't know which ones. Whenever you step on a wrong one, an electric wall is enabled again. There could be some sort of hint, like when you disable an electric wall there could be an sfx on the next switch you have to step on for a second or so.

Level 2
Ok, I thought of something else:

1.(this one is simmilar to hijax's beneficial lightning) You have to use the interact ability on an object, and after that, you are surrounded by an electricity shield for x secs, wich makes your imune to some of the lightnings. This can be used to help unexperienced players in some of the harder parts or just to make the maze even harder because of the time of the buff.

2.Here, the maze would have an U shape. Escapers start from the left side, and they have to go to the right side, where a cannon shoots lightnings. You have to jump in the cannon to be thrown on a maze paralel to the U. The lightnings it shots can kill you and will reach even the other maze, so you have to time your jump right, or you will be killed.

I also had a 3rd idea, but I forgot it :gg:
I'll let you know if I remember it...

Level 17
ok, maybe bit complex idea but:

Lightning maze:

its a maze. the walls are made of lighning. sounds dull, eh? well here's the catch: around the maze is spread two types of conductors. one will just stop any lightning that hits it, the other one will reflect it off in another direction. so its all about navigating the maze and manipulating the conductors to get through. might also require teamwork.

or maybe use the:
beneficial lightning: a cool twist. for some reason, we're assuming that the lightninh is evil. but arent we trying to call upon the (envoy of the) god of just that, lightning? so maybe we should also try to embrace the dude a little? you carry around some lightning conductors, and whenever you get hit by the good lightning, you get invulnerability for X seconds. the area would be packed with some demons that will one-shot you, so you have to stay protected.
Hm. I think the Lightning Maze is a bit too intricate. Wouldn't know how to use it adequately.

The Beneficial Lightning is already added, though some different. I will add pictures when I have some more features added to the map.
Thanks Hijax for your reply! +rep

What about a randomized maze part ?
Some more detail would be nice. I can think of escape possibilities if you just say "randomized part" anyway I want to know YOUR ideas :p

Unknown Switches
Well, in this, you have to like disable 3 electric walls. There are about 16 switches in a 4x4 pattern with a small pathway in between. Three of the switches disable the wall but you don't know which ones. Whenever you step on a wrong one, an electric wall is enabled again. There could be some sort of hint, like when you disable an electric wall there could be an sfx on the next switch you have to step on for a second or so.
Thought of that, too. I will see in which way I can make it to a nice puzzle!
+rep
Ok, I thought of something else:

1.(this one is simmilar to hijax's beneficial lightning) You have to use the interact ability on an object, and after that, you are surrounded by an electricity shield for x secs, wich makes your imune to some of the lightnings. This can be used to help unexperienced players in some of the harder parts or just to make the maze even harder because of the time of the buff.

2.Here, the maze would have an U shape. Escapers start from the left side, and they have to go to the right side, where a cannon shoots lightnings. You have to jump in the cannon to be thrown on a maze paralel to the U. The lightnings it shots can kill you and will reach even the other maze, so you have to time your jump right, or you will be killed.

I also had a 3rd idea, but I forgot it :gg:
I'll let you know if I remember it...

1. Well, you mean to buff yourself to get immune to something by interacting with anything ehh? Well, I will see ... :)
2. Nice but too intricate :eek:
3. lulwut wtf xD get more oxygen into your brainz :p

Level 14
My idea :
:ugly:

There is a maze that is like the picture ( attachment )

-Area 1

The player must go through the lightning that moves horizontally at different intervals, at the end of the area one there is a switch that will turn off the lightning generator that generates the lightning.

-Area 2

The player must go through the area by avoiding the lightning that appears from the sky by looking some lights that appear before the lightning strikes, but the lightning field is isolated by low height clouds that makes the player harder to see the light effect before the lightning strikes.

Look at my image attachment for visual help. :wink:

Attachments

• Maze.PNG
    Maze.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 120
Level 17
Wow, hard to get it all but I think I got it :D

Well, at first thanks for the reply.

To Area 1:
Nice idea, though some simple. I will think of how to make it some more challanging.

To Area 2:
Yes, that is a pretty nice idea. I like the idea with clouds making it harder to see where to step. I will think of a way to make it.

+rep, thanks.

Level 4
I have an idea not sure if anyone else posted since i didnt check every post.

The lightning key.

As the dwarfs enter a part of map they find a dead end with a magical door that can only be opened by a colored key.

behind the dwarfs the demons is advancing slowly.
the keys is located across a river and is moving at a fast speed, the red key is needed to open the door. so its pretty much like using "lightning meat hook" to try and grab that key. Ahh but its not that easy!!! the red key is moving with other colored keys.
If you grab the wrong colored key u will be damaged by however amount of HP u wish.
if the enemies from behind touches you, u will be damaged by however amount of HP u wish.

so its a race against time to try n hook the key.

Level 3
My ideas if you still in need of them.

1-Well, you can do a lightning manipulation area. There one player have to walk around a energy ball or something like that, while hold a runic item. and the ball will keeps leaking, so the player have to keep the energy "concentrated", until it reaches the end of the room. ( for history background: It was a chamber were old viking mages manipulate the thunder and the lightning, but on these days, their tools are broken, then the player have to use what still working to progress).

2- You can give a lightning sword or whip, but not like all we have around. A mean a lightning sword that realy creates a HUGE/VERY VERY LONG energy blade, that the player could use defeat a giant enemy, but also, the enchant doesn't lasts long, so the player have to comeback to points in the room to charge again the sword. About the whip, something like the sword but , well, the lightning acts like a whip itself, were the player can use to either destroy things, pull or move other energy reacting objects and even mve itself around the chamber where the whip is. Again, when the player exits the sword/whip loses it's power capacity, but you can let the "useless" weapons with the players, so at some other places you can make some capacitors that temporaly enpower these weapons again. This way the players can still acomplish their objectives without the itens, but if they keep the weapons on their inventory they maybe have some help.

3- Some lighting hookshots that come from the walls, if they hit the players they will be pulled to a trap or out of the plataform, they can even escape, but only if they keep runnig on the oposite direction of their are being pulled.

4- Maybe you already doing it, but, spread runes around the map, for the most variable uses and tipes, they can have writings that gives a clue about how win the next puzzle, they can give a bonus to the holder/user, can cast spells, unleash inner power of the players, call a lighting for Thor's Hammer itself. Can exist runes that need to be united to have a effect running, and even they can summon creatures or still activate mechanisms of the cenario, like if they use the interact with a wall, they will be noticed that it's a slot on it. Then if they put the proper rune they will open a gate. If put the wrong something bad will hapen.

5- You can put then in a room with a ethereal spell cast on then, but, while they are etheral a constant lightning will be casted on then. So with this "energy beam from above following the ethereal one, he must draw a runic symbol on the ground, but the marks still for a period of time only, so he must discover the right symbol and make it, when he do this right the ethereal spell is undone and the runic symbol becomes permanent, opening the door.

6- At last, simply put a dark room where the only way to pass is iluminating the path with conducted lightnings, or glowing globes that need to be recharged, or even torchesthat need to be lightened up/ lamps that must be energyzed, from a distance with a magic pendant.

I wish you find something interisting on that i wrote. :thumbs_up:

Level 17
Ok, thanks darkreaper and marlon919 and all the other helpers for your ideas, I'm really grateful that you brought me all of your inspiration!
I got a lot of ideas now and I am really excited to make them become reality!
Anyways, I am having some trouble with the World Editor and Warcraft in gerneral so basically this project is gonna be delayed. I can't say for how long, though I can say that you can be sure I'll make this map!
As far as I found a way to solve the occured problems, I will work on my project again!

~xxdingo93xx

Level 17
MAYBE you can :p
Well, always when I try to start wc3 it says "an instance of wc3 might be running already". The Troubleshooting says this:
Whenever i start the NewGen WE I'm told that an instance is already running, I need to insert the CD or to turn off Kaspersky. What's wrong?
Well, as the message already suggests, an instance of the editor may already be running.
If this is not the case another cause for this popup may be that you're using a patch prior to version 1.21b and do not have the Warcraft CD in your CD drive.
Some antivirus tools like Kaspersky antivirus also cause this popup. You need to disable those tools before running NewGen.
If you have Kaspersky Antivirus installed, follow these steps to get it working:
1. Remove your current NewGen installation.
2. Redownload the NewGen pack and extract it to a directory of your choice.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Turn off Kaspersky (right-click in systemtray -> Exit) before running NewGen.
5. Start the NewGen WE.
Make sure you never try to run NewGen when Kaspersky is on, because it will permanently block it until you restart your computer.

I use no Kaspersky. I also have the newest version of wc3 so it is not prior than 1.21b and no, there is no wc3 running in the background ... WTF :(

Level 14
Maybe you are using the JNGP version 5b or 5c? The newest is 5d, OR if you are using 5d you may want to read this :
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=1089673
There someone says that 5c is BUGGED, so you could use 5b/5a for this time or try to re-install the JNGP. Or try to kill the WorldEdit.exe process using Task Manager (If there is...) Or using System Restore, Or Reinstall the WC III that you use to develop maps... Hope that helps =)

Status
Not open for further replies.