• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are YOU A Retard? An Original / Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Are YOU Retarded?
Alpha Stage
Creator: IA-Materia (USEast Realm)

- Maps -
This is my first map, that I plan on completing. I have one semi complete, but have stopped production on it.

- Development -
This map is under heavy development.

The Map
This map will be UNLIKE any other retard map. If you do not know what a retard map is, this is what it is. A retard map is a map that has traps in lots of places. There would be ways to get 'past' the traps in some ways that will be hard to figure out, and some that aren't so easy. Some traps are hard to notice, while some aren't so easy. Most retard maps have a unit, a footmen, mine will have heroes. They will actually USE the spells in my map, instead of killing them for using them in, like most retard maps.

- Based -
I am basing this map off of many of the Retard maps I've seen and mainly off of ideas I have come up with.

- Experience -
I am not too great at terraining, triggering, or any of the sort.
So, this map will take a long, long time to complete.

- Expected -
Criticism, and everything of the sort is welcome as I need it to make my map much better. I'm sure that there are bugs, as I have found some. I need help fixing them, as I am confused enough as it is with just making the triggers, let alone fixing bugged ones.

- Ideas -
Any ideas you have for the map are welcome, and you will be put into credits, and I will +Rep to you.

Btw, if you can actually get through it without looking at the triggers, you're god.

- List of stuff to do / fix: -
- Range (The unit revives, but the unit is not the same level / place as where they died)

- The Team -
Lanaya-Pwns
FatherSpace
Hillo
ndreaay
Hugget Sukker
KrigeKongen.

- The HiveWorkShop -
-BerZeKeR- - Attack Icon
Anachron - Move Icon
Dentothor - Stop Icon
Destructor [DoR] - Hold Icon
Elenai - New Skill Icon
Dan van Ohllus -Patrol Icon

Updated the map. ( 8 / 24 / 09 at 3:35 PM EST)

Last edited:
Level 4
Sorry for double posting, but I would just like help for ideas, trigger fixes and etc.

Please, all ideas / help on fixing broken triggers / criticism are welcome and needed for this map, and for me to become a better map maker.

List of stuff to do / fix:
- Dummy unit should be unclickable and invisible, so the user can't use the unit.
- Retard blockers could be unclickable.
- Range after the item is removed from the unit's inventory needs to revert back to melee.
- After a hero casts the 'A Retard's Special' in the area, 1 mana should be taken off of all the allied heroes, and himself.

Last edited:
Level 4
I saw one bug, when you use the spell to get the ''lava road'' one of the markers is blocking so you have to go around it and then you die

Incorrect.
I've gone through a bunch of times.
Unless there is a bridge piece I moved and never put back which could cause it to do so.

But, yes, I would like you on my development team.
Unprotected the map is.

Level 4
Get on warcraft 3 if you can, I will show you a few things we need to fix.
Come to the channel Retard XX

Level 4
While working on the map, stay on the USEast realm.
I'll be on sometime around 12-1 PM your time.
I'll be under the alias of IA-Materia.

Level 4
We had this trigger.
Going to change it to remove 1 mana (down to 2) to all heroes allied of the triggering unit.

• Lava Dummy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Lava Skill Area <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to True
      • ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Lava Skill
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set mana of (Triggering unit) to 2.00
      • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Stop
      • Unit - Create 1 Lava Dummy for (Triggering player) at (Center of Lava Skill Area <gen>) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Lich - Death And Decay (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Wait 15.00 seconds
      • Unit - Explode (Last created unit)

Last edited:
Level 19
After the unit finish its actions (casting spells, etc.) add this action:
  • Unit - Add a <seconds> second Generic expiration timer to <UnitVeriable>
If you are not using unit veriable, use it in this way:
  • Unit - Add a <seconds> second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
Using waits is realy bad
Why not put mana-requirement in the object editor, instead of taking mana from the unit when its the ability is cast
No need of using (facing xxx) the default works as well
You leak a point in the order to cast
You don't need to add condition "trigg unit is hero = true", if only 1 unit (eg. Hero) has the spell.

All I can say is, you FAIL at making triggerin spell.

Suggestion is to use the generic expiration timer instead of using wait.

Last edited:
Level 4
  • Unit - Create 1 Lava Dummy for (Triggering player) at (Center of Lava Skill Area <gen>) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
  • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Lich - Death And Decay (Position of (Triggering unit))
Think before you speak.
Because of exactly that, of the UNITS casting the spell, they would create more of themselves.
YES, that will happen, as I have had it happen to myself MANY times.

Why not put mana-requirement in the object editor, instead of taking mana from the unit when its the ability is cast

What are you talking about?

Using waits is realy bad

And why?

Level 4
No, this is original map in a sense that I'm not taking anything from any other map(s).
I know what a retard map is, and so, I'm going to build a Retard map, but, I'm not going to make it like previous ones. Mine will be hard, and it will be tricky.

Level 4
Yes.
I would also like a list of things you did to the map, a full list.
That way, I can update the first post, and then think of ideas for the next area of the map.

Level 19
Nawh, waits make spells leak if they are channeling, as far I can see, you're using channeling spell (eg. Death and Decay) so if 3 units cast the spell at once, or with delay of 3 seconds, the second and the third dummy will die at the same as the first, so the second and the third player will be fucked up. Preventing that is easy as I say at my previous answers, use the damn expiration timer, it is more efficient, and it won't cause spells to bug.

Mana requirement is the mana that is needed to cast the spell, I still don't get why you use trigger for this, instead of making it via the Object Editor... Or.. You wan't to restore the mana of the casting unit...

Level 5
Nawh, waits make spells leak if they are channeling, as far I can see, you're using channeling spell (eg. Death and Decay) so if 3 units cast the spell at once, or with delay of 3 seconds, the second and the third dummy will die at the same as the first, so the second and the third player will be fucked up. Preventing that is easy as I say at my previous answers, use the damn expiration timer, it is more efficient, and it won't cause spells to bug.

Well, only one user gets the spell for now :)

Level 5
Even, it will still bug, if you precast it before the last dummy is dead.

hmm, well gotta fix that then (;
+REP for helpin out

- Range, kill the unit after the item drops, and revive instantly with same stats, in the same spot.
- Everyone gets ability when they enter a region.

Dont worry about these, i have something that can do it, will send it to you saturday (; going to camp tommorow:)

Level 13
No, this is original map in a sense that I'm not taking anything from any other map(s).
I know what a retard map is, and so, I'm going to build a Retard map, but, I'm not going to make it like previous ones. Mine will be hard, and it will be tricky.

Erhm... I hope you know what "Retard" means.
Cuz it sounds a bit weird how you use the word. :jd:
It's not a Retard Map, It's a kind of Escape map.

Level 4
It's called an Are you a retard map, because if you go into the traps, then you are retarded.
That is how they have always worked.
Escape maps in my opinion would be..different.

Level 13
Shadow Fox is the original maker of the "Are you a Retard?" maps.
So every, how you call it, "Retard Map" is unoriginal IMO.

Level 10
Hehe.. Hadezor. I take it you want my assistance, right? What kind of loading screen did you have in mind then? And do you have any other assignments? Some terrain? Some triggers? You name it :)

I'll be back in, say, 8 hours. Don't know about your time zone, but over here it's goo time.

Edit: Am here for a little while yet so you can talk to me.

Level 19
I think I have an idea for the loading screen.

A black background, a stone in the middle, and a running Footman, which is pursuit by a group of murlocs, then he stumbles in the stones and falls and a little bubble over hes head which says "OH $%# or SHIT"
Under this, a text "Are YOU Retard?" where "Are" and "Retard?" are in white and "YOU" is in red.

Of course, it is not neccessary to do it like this, its just a idea of me :)

Level 31
  • Lava Dummy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Lava Skill Area <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to True
      • ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Lava Skill
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set mana of (Triggering unit) to 2.00
      • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Stop
      • Wait 15.00 seconds
      • Unit - Explode (Last created unit)
This setup cause condition to leak location. Also, use triggering unit instead of casting unit cause it was much faster.

Wrong, wait does not make a spells leak. It was location, group, and etc etc that make a spells leak.

Wait cause a current execution data to be overwrite if there is a order for a new action.

In addition to that, the minimum duration for wait action is 0.26 (0.26 or 0.27, I cannot recall the exact amount) which is bad if you try to set it below 0.26 and the duration was even longer if the map was play at multiplayer.

The wait duration also depends on the computer itself.

Well, only one user gets the spell for now :)

Using Wait kill the ability of the spells to be MUI/MPI and it cannot even be used by a single unit as well unless you are using local variable.

Think before you speak.
Because of exactly that, of the UNITS casting the spell, they would create more of themselves.
YES, that will happen, as I have had it happen to myself MANY times.

MortAr- is right, there is no need for you to add a condition of triggering unit equal to heroes if you make the ability instant cast.

The main reason why there is more than 1 unit created at once is because there is a wait action over there that kill the capability of the spells to be instant cast.

It's called an Are you a retard map, because if you go into the traps, then you are retarded.
That is how they have always worked.
Escape maps in my opinion would be..different.

Wrong, what separate are you a retard genre and escape map is the common sense of it. The trap of are you a retard genre are usually very obvious and there is no way you could fall into it unless you are a retard.

That is why we called the map genre with such a trap with this title.

Shadow Fox is the original maker of the "Are you a Retard?" maps.
So every, how you call it, "Retard Map" is unoriginal IMO.

As far as I know, he isn't the original creator of this map. He create this genre after he was inspired by it.

I don't recall the name of the original creator, have to search the version 1.00 to find it out.

Level 10
A few questions:

1 - What kind of shrine do you want?
2 - Did you want the shrine just after the elevator, in the middle of that grass area (in lava skill area)?
3 - Do you need water in the map? Because if you don't, I want to put reddish, shallow water in the lava area, without waves on the shores. I'll throw in some fire and bubbles aswell. Btw, you can always change the water color in a trigger. You could do that just after the lava becomes walkable. And maybe spawn some small, free-pathable ice flakes and stuff at random points, to make it look like the lava freezes, for instance. That will require destructible bubbles and destructable fire, so the frozen and watery lava doesn't burn and steam anymore, but that's easilly done so np.
4 - What's the deal with the Knight and Blademasters?

And bugs:

1 - If you do not use the knight to destroy the bridge (or let another retard do so) BEFORE casting Retard Special, then you get stuck...
... Because the Retard Smashers spawn in areas that block you completely out of lava on left side of bridge, and prevents you from walking on the bridge to have it destroyed so you can get past.
2 - The Retard Smashers rarely smash retards. I don't know if they're supposed to, because it's a slightly confusing map right now. If they're supposed to kill you, and not necesarilly block, then I would recommend turning off their collision, and give them Permanent Immolation without graphics, that does 1000 damage in a 70 radius. This would fix the problem with the bridge also...
... Also, the trigger that creates the smashers leaks a bunch of points. You could place them in the editor instead of creating them, and then just hide them all at map initialization, and then unhide them when they're supposed to appear. That will be a lot easier than fixing those leaks.

Please, correct me if I've misunderstood everything :cute:

Last edited:
Level 4
1 - What kind of shrine do you want?

When I said a shrine, I meant something that would be around the edges of the 'Lava Skill' region, that would block, something that would make it look like an area you have to do something, but you wonder..What am I to do here.

2 - Did you want the shrine just after the elevator, in the middle of that grass area (in lava skill area)?

Around the edges of the region, and maybe something in the center, or close as possible.

3 - Do you need water in the map? Because if you don't, I want to put reddish, shallow water in the lava area, without waves on the shores. I'll throw in some fire and bubbles aswell. Btw, you can always change the water color in a trigger. You could do that just after the lava becomes walkable. And maybe spawn some small, free-pathable ice flakes and stuff at random points, to make it look like the lava freezes, for instance. That will require destructible bubbles and destructable fire, so the frozen and watery lava doesn't burn and steam anymore, but that's easilly done so np.

I don't know about having water, but, that would sound like a cool idea.
At first, the lava would be bubbling, look hot, steam, etc. Then, when the spell is casted, have the road to walk on become frozen and have snowflakes. While the area you cannot go through, make shortcuts through, will still be on fire, have bubbles and steam, and such. Sounds like a good idea. :)

4 - What's the deal with the Knight and Blademasters?

They're just stuff I thought that would be cool / nice to have placed on the map, as if they're...watching them.

1 - If you do not use the knight to destroy the bridge (or let another retard do so) BEFORE casting Retard Special, then you get stuck...

I was thinking of ending up giving everyone a knight or something, so that they each have an extra life, so see if something is a trap.

2 - The Retard Smashers rarely smash retards. I don't know if they're supposed to, because it's a slightly confusing map right now. If they're supposed to kill you, and not necesarilly block, then I would recommend turning off their collision, and give them Permanent Immolation without graphics, that does 1000 damage in a 70 radius. This would fix the problem with the bridge also...
... Also, the trigger that creates the smashers leaks a bunch of points. You could place them in the editor instead of creating them, and then just hide them all at map initialization, and then unhide them when they're supposed to appear. That will be a lot easier than fixing those leaks.

The Retard Smashers is really just a name for brown that I made. The blockers are part of their 'team' to 'help' them kill the retards. No Retard Smashers actually kill you, their traps do. Placing them in editor means that they would not be able to be under the bridge, and it would mess up the pathing.

Level 10
Update!!!

(EDITED)

I am updating Are YOU Retarded? on behalf of Hazedor AKA IA-Materia, the mapmaker.

Ok, had some new bugs. Here is updated update. Ranged weapon item and explosive barrels are completely out of order. Ranged weapon must be remade from scratch.

View attachment Are YOU Retarded Alpha.w3x PLEASE READ BELOW:

- Prepared for the next challenge: The Chicken Trap. Just destroy the explosive barrel directly in front of the footmen (without ranged item), and walk past the footmen. Only way you can get to the chicken trap right now. Will all be fixed later.
- Threw in a glowing shrine area
- Added the ice you see now, when the lava becomes walkable.
- Made minor terrain changes (which is my actual assignment :p )
- Took care of (some) leaks, not finished with that yet

Last edited:
Level 4
Updated the map: 9 / 6 / 09, 11 PM.

Also, as a side note to those who still look at this topic, we need additional Terrainers / Triggerers.

Level 4
Having options at the beginning to choose, something I haven't yet learned.
Also, what exactly are you talking about when you say meat golems?
There are no meat golems in my map.

Level 4
*Start sarcasm*
Really? I never noticed.
*End sarcasm*

Just a question, how else did I come up with this if I wasn't influenced by another map already made?
And it's not named exactly like mine.

Level 12
Just a question, how else did I come up with this if I wasn't influenced by another map already made?

My point wasn't that you've exactly copied another map, ofcourse you get influenced.

And it's not named exactly like mine.

I know and lots of people know that there are retard type maps, but name of yours and the one I've played on battlenet are very same or extremely similar, that even able to confuse people...

Level 4
When influenced, most people tend to keep the name of the map from which they got influenced.

And a FYI from remembering something you guys were talking about earlier.
Shadowfox is my friend, and he did actually create the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.