• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Just another Warcraft III map - 100% triggered everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Well, I am currently in progress of coding a map engine which includes triggered ranged attacks, triggered spells, triggered things. Basically, it's a triggered map.

I'm making great use of Kenny's Projectile system. So I can do a lot of things, you really ought to check out the testmap he has, it's amazing.

So because I love the system, and love things that move, I decided to make a map (long time ago, but that was concept only) and is in need of a good genre. I intended hero arena, but I'm bored of those. Then it was CTF, but then I decided no. I could do some survival map where you are teamed up with other players and must defend against this greater computer force, who knows.

I myself like short-games, I hate RPG games where you save/load, I hate long games in general. I hate slow-paced games, I hate games where units are slow to move around, I hate maps where nothing is done well, and I especially dislike LOAPs. I also dislike a whole lot of things, I'm very picky.

Presently I can work on this "map" as it's only coding the engine stuff. Although most of the time may be directed to Pudge Wars as Kenny seems to be MIA from Warcraft III due to education stuffzz :(

Anyways, any ideas? With consideration that I'm going to fully vJass it up, and a lot of things that can be accomplished..... ... not really, I suck at JASS. Anyways, just think things like Time Slowing, Projectile Reflection, and stuff like that.

Level 15
I just can't imagine sports in Warcraft III, I've played some of them but wasn't too impressed. It's just not fun :( Most of the time people won't know what the heck they are doing I imagine, perhaps thats just not me. Or not my preferred theme for a map. Sorry. And pinball? How does that work. Haha. :)

Level 14
You seem to have ruled out basically every type of map I can think of.

No arenas, CTFs, sports, RPGs, or LOAPs. Nothing slow placed, which rules out altered melee (builder maps).

Normally I'd suggest something like King of the Hill, but ranged units/abilities don't work particularly well.

Your best bet appears to be a survival map, and a particularly difficult one (so it doesn't take too long).

For a survival map, how about several layers of defense (think Helms Deep and Minas Tirirth from LotR, without making another one of either). You could do another zombie survival map, but that would risk being dull in and of itself.

Perhaps a map where elves (ranged) are defending themselves from an onsluaght of Humans and/or Orcs. If your into storylines, this would be during the Orc/Human invasion of Kalimdor in RoC. The base would the design of the NE, and thus get you away from nothing but stone walls.

The lone NE base you and other players are defending is being attacked by the main invasion force, so Heroes such as Thrall and Jaina could be present.

//\\oo//\\

Level 15
A defense/survival map doesn't sound too bad actually. I actually want to make the map largely based on the community I play in, they seem to like all these defense games rather than arena games, except for FoC and BvO :(

But to me, defense/survival map will be boring added to the fact if I play, I'd find it boring because I know everything about it. But it's not about me, so I think defense/survival seems ok. But I'll just finish off the systems before deciding.

Thanks.

How about, since you're using projectiles, you make a SHOOTER? Shooters are everything you want.

It is fast-paced. It can be short(rounds), it can be long(entire matches), and even if units are slow, bullets aren't!
To top it off, you can even add things you dis-like. You can add an arena mode, a CTF mode, even a survival mode!

*excuse my ideas. In Australia, we play alot of CoD.

Level 15
Well, I live in Australia, but not actually Australian. But lived there since I was born :) And have never left since.

Elimination Tournament is a Warcraft III map, some sort of "buy a gun and kill things that move" map. But that quickly loses fun when there's nothing left to get aye? Or so was the case with Elim. Tourney, I'm so picky :(

Perhaps some sort of shooting-defense mixed with fantasy and random cute things like Jigglypuffs. I consider map-making a hobby thingy, not a burden :p So I work on maps whenever I feel like. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.