• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #3 Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Agreed. Besides, I REALLY don't understand why everybody has to agree on the theme. You like it, you join. You don't like it, you still join because it's a challenge to you. I say it should remain as-is. No more bitching and whining, we've had too much of that already.

Well.
I really get your point. Trust me.. I really do.
But the problem is that because you rushed to be the first one to host a music contest, others wont have the chance anymore to come up with an other one. Because there cant be 2 contests of music at the same time.
And because there cant be 2 at the same time, my opinion basically says that we should've chosen what kind of contest we should host then. Because you can't do both.. Thats not an option.
I couldve rushed and posted my favorite idea 'Schizophrenic' right away, but I didnt because I felt like others might have wanted some input aswel. And my frustration was that the 'trust' i had got fcked because you simply pushed your idea through.

I just hope you know what I mean. I dont think you will agree anyway, but atleast try to look at it at my way, because I understand your point but I just kinda got the feeling you never thought about it like I did.

So sorry for my past reactions. I think you didn't do this on purpose, but it kinda ruined my mood yesterday.

Level 19
Hmm.. Don't really think I like that mechanical world idea Joe-black-5.
Reason for this is because I don't like most electronic music, and it's kinda hard to make non-electronic music for a mechanical world theme.... Actually I think it's nearly impossible to make it atleast decently fit into the theme.

Reason for this is because I don't like most electronic music, and it's kinda hard to make non-electronic music for a mechanical world theme.... Actually I think it's nearly impossible to make it atleast decently fit into the theme.
it isn't. I can still imagine some kind of march related to a mechanical world. But the output will be frustrating to such a contest. most likely just eletronic repetitive shit

Level 19
Wrong. Music can be beautiful/harmonic in all its genres. Electronic atmosphere/ambiance fits the dystopia theme perfectly.

We were not talking about the dystopia theme. Someone suggested 'Mechanized World' theme. And we said that that theme would come up with probably only electric stuff and.. I would be disappointed to see that happen.

Level 19
I believe there are some ways to do it Wherewolf and Jetfang, but I'm 100% sure that the majority of contest submissions would look like eachother in the end. A theme where that isn't likely to happen is more relevant. Like in this case Dystopia theme.

Well not exactly everyone is all that creative - even in the last contest you could notice many parallels in the sounds. Really I think it depends on the type of the theme how creative the pieces will be. The last one had a very concrete theme, a desert - there's many ways you could approach that, but of all there's 1 specific sound that's the first thing everyone thinks of when they hear the word desert - which will be the obvious choice. Now choose something more abstract, something more conceptual and your ideas will be more creative, as there's less of a specific, shared sound everyone thinks of when they think of the idea - more people are forced to interpret it differently.

Level 25

you guys decide what you like best for the next music contest ;) that is why we post multiple ideas.

/me prepares for flaming

If you guys really want to stretch outside of your comfort zone, you could try some sort of theme like "Atonal." Or maybe something like unconventional time signatures, the themes so far have been conceptual, maybe try something that's more based on the inner workings (like a poly limit contest for modeling, or making a terrain only with in game doodads or a select set of doodads).

Level 35
Atonal is going to be a difficult one for the voters to choose -- they all sound like cacophony. You can have people writing in 5/16 rhythm and most voters will just pick whatever sounds "best" irrespective of the time signature parameters. An unconventional theme is more friendly both to the voters' ears and a much more "concrete" boundary to work in. You can give even more abstract themes like Affluence, Jealousy, Sacrilege, Conscience, etc. The very abstract nature of these themes already makes it difficult to execute into a tangible form for our ears so it still pushes us out of our comfort zones.

Level 19
My writing style is usually with many different time signatures so I'm all up for that!

This is a song with lots of different time signatures in it while you might not even notice if you listen to the melody.

Level 19
I usually write by ear so I don't even know what time signature I'm in lol

Every good musician writes by ear. But that doesn't mean they can't know what they're doing. I have something in my head, then write it down or start playing it. Then afterwards I question myself what it is. Which chords am I hearing and which time signature.
I think no musician starts by writing down a time signature followed by an idea. It's usually the other way around.;)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
What would your song express ? I hope you were not intending something relevant to water.
And about that time meter, I usually speed it up or slow it depending on what I want to do with that song.
I think Quartet 6's' is 140 BPM.

Level 19
What would your song express ? I hope you were not intending something relevant to water.
And about that time meter, I usually speed it up or slow it depending on what I want to do with that song.
I think Quartet 6's' is 140 BPM.

140 BPM is the speed.
We were talking about the time signature. most songs are 4/4.
Quarter 6 is well...
3/4, then 4/4, then 3/4 etcc.. then after a while 6/4 and well.. its uncommon.

And what the song should express... god you sound like a poet:p
I make music because I want to make nice music. That song expresses my attempt to make good music I suppose.
Not every song has a theme.. Basically.. hmm... Like 90% of all jazz/fusion songs arent about a theme. If you can make a piece nice withoud having to tell someone about a theme first thats the real thing imo. And if you want a theme... think of something like my dad got shot and this is a song for him or something. I doubt if you will find the song better then haha.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Yes ! My songs always make me imagine things that I hadn't thought about before their creation. Yes it's 3/4 measure. I just like those kind of songs, they just keep surprising you.
Well when I want to do a theme related song, I usually mix more themes but keep the essence :D. I took the water theme in consideration because of the background you've chosen. I see it's a common background you're using.

Level 19
Yes ! My songs always make me imagine things that I hadn't thought about before their creation. Yes it's 3/4 measure. I just like those kind of songs, they just keep surprising you.
Well when I want to do a theme related song, I usually mix more themes but keep the essence :D. I took the water theme in consideration because of the background you've chosen. I see it's a common background you're using.

Haha yeah.. What kind of background should I do haha. I just picked the water because it was a nice picture haha.

Level 35
I usually know what chords I use and for what purpose (yeah I categorize my chords by sound and function and reuse them whenever there is a need). Melodies rarely come into my head so I really have to improv to no end until something miraculously shows up :p I'm a big "chord" person so I compose harmony before melody. Isn't that opposite from everyone else? lol

Level 19
I usually know what chords I use and for what purpose (yeah I categorize my chords by sound and function and reuse them whenever there is a need). Melodies rarely come into my head so I really have to improv to no end until something miraculously shows up :p I'm a big "chord" person so I compose harmony before melody. Isn't that opposite from everyone else? lol

Haha:D I sometimes have that too.
Can't really say that;s opposite.. I think everyone has its own style.

I have to say the most complicated time signature change I've ever used is

7/8, 4/4, 7/8, 11/8
(each time signature for 1 measure before changing).

Looks really weird, though I'm surprised it works - I've found that with odd time signatures they sound really odd played once, but once you get out of your comfort zone and into the new rhythm they can flow very well.

I normally prefer to come up with a melody part first, or some sort of "theme" and then write the chords, harmonies and backgrounds around that.

Level 19
Wish I could join and judge. ><
Isn't that possible? That I don't judge my own work or something?
Because I feel like joining, but I also want to contribute to others by helping them out as a judge since I know judges can be kinda rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.