• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I'm pretty sure that Poot will submit the results soon, he have a life too...(how would you feel, checking 25 spells, score them all, and write up every single point?)
25 Spells? o_O i thought its about 10-15
anyway , 3 weeks has been passed - hope to see soon some results :p

go purple go , should be easy .. just gimme max. score and lemme win xD

Last edited:
Level 40
My god that took a while.

Anyhow, gratz to Eccho and all contestants.

Spells that were bugged are not included.

doom_sheep - Druid's Escape
  • Idea: 5/5
    A very original and interesting idea.​
  • Triggering: 7/10
    It was generally decent, but there were a few problems, primarily a leak every .04 seconds, a leak whenever a tree seed died, and the fact that you used way more triggers than necessary, making it a little more annoying to implement and read.​
  • Overall Aspect: 4/5
    Generally good, and a great alternative ability for all sorts of maps. The icon could've been better, and you should watch out for spelling errors in the tooltip.​
  • Visual Effects: 5/5
    Fitting and simple visual effects.​
  • Theme: 3/3
    The spell followed the theme well.​
  • Total: 24/28
    In general, a very nice alternative ability. However, your triggering could use a bit of work.​

MistAssas - Forest's Spirits
    An original and fun idea.​
    Generally decent, but a few problems included the fact that the code was far longer than it should've been (For example, a separate section per level), and that it wasn't MUI.​
  • Overall Aspect: 5/5
    A good trapping ability for some sorts of maps. The icon and tooltip fit well.​
  • Visual Effects: 3/5
    The lighting star is far more than a little cliché by now, and didn't really fit the spell at all. The rest were fine.​
  • Total: 23/28
    A neat piece of work, but work a bit more on your triggering, and try not to go overkill with special effects.​

StaberFire - Astral Enchantment
    A good original idea.​
    Sometimes the spell would continue past its end for one more 'cycle', reducing the bonus to 2. Additionally, As you said, you leaked locations. Additionally, the spell was ridiculously spread out trigger-wise... makes it all the harder to implement and read. Finally, you don't need Do Nothing.​
    An interesting concept of an ability, potentially very useful for supporting your units in combat. The icon and tooltip were good.​
    The effects were a little monotonous (too much faerie fire), as well as the fact that massively scaled up effects shaded red did not look amazing.​
  • Total: 23/28
    A decent spell, but you could definitely work on your triggering.​

Vestras - Mother Nature's Recipe
  • Idea: 4/5
    A somewhat original idea, but the 'treant turning into tree' thing seems to be getting more and more popular.​
  • Triggering: 9/10
    Fairly well done in general, but there were some major problems, for example, the treats didn't seem to go in any particular direction regardless of targeting (this went here for lack of a better place to put it).​
    An interesting concept of an ability, but with questionable usefulness. Additionally, the treats could attack people when they were out. The icon and tooltip were good.​
  • Visual Effects: 4/5
    The effects were fitting if not very original.​
    Pretty good, just with slight tweaks that could be done all over.​

Flood - Spirit Balls
  • Idea: 3/5
    A fairly standard artillery idea, albeit with some twists.​
  • Triggering: 10/10
    I can't say I had any real complaints about the triggering.​
    Might get a bit rigged in larger battles, but it's hard to say. The icon and tooltip didn't really fit in my opinion.​
    The effects were fitting for the spell.​
  • Total: 25/28
    A fairly good spell, but I'm not too fond of the idea.​

Ribenamania - Spirit of Nature
    An interesting twist in the approach, but entangling roots and treants are a bit stereotypical.​
    You missed nulling a lot. Additionally, ==true is not necessary for most cases (and it's a bugfixing case, not a syntactical case, when it is). The system did not distinguish between "generic destructable" and "tree". Finally, you could really cut down on the amount of BJs you use.​
    A fitting tooltip and icon, and could work in a variety of situations.​
    The effects were fitting for the spell.​
    A good spell, but you could use some more work on your coding. Additionally, you should exploit vJass to its fullest if you're going to use the WE mod in the first place.​

raft_pl - Life Repletion
    A neat and unique idea.​
    The method of detecting whether the spell will kill the unit is a bit of a hack and doesn't work properly as it doesn't take into account other damage, armour type, etc. You also had some redundant nulling and such, but most of the triggering was good.​
  • Overall Aspect: 3/5
    The spell seemed to be detrimental to itself (When you always wanted the tree as it was an instant kill + more damage later), as well as being rather unbalanceable, as well as weird to watch, especially since the tree was their colour. The tooltip was fine, but the icon was a bit out of touch with the spell.​
    The effects were mostly fitting for the spell, but the "poison" shot from the tree (blood mage missiles) was a little odd.​
    A decent spell all around.​

Zack1995 - Rejuvenation Dust
    A very original idea.​
    I couldn't really find much to complain about with the triggering - it was very well done. My only complaint is that you shouldn't be using arrays unnecessarily.​
    The spell worked well ingame and would be useful in a variety of situations. The tooltip and icon were fine, except for the fact that the tooltip shouldn't be an essay - that's just scary. Perhaps consider simplifying your spell a bit, as complication is not necessarily good.​
    The visuals fit the spell and clearly indicated what was going on.​
  • Total: 26/28
    A well done spell, but perhaps a little too complicated.​

xD.Schurke - Rooting
    An original and good idea.​
    The code was pretty good, but could've been significantly compressed in some places - for example, you should be using boolean operators (and/or/not) rather than just spamming elseifs when unnecessary.​
    The tooltip and icon fit well, and the spell would fit a variety of situations.​
    The visual effects were decent, but you really need to calm down on the number of roots present at once - I had footmen with 10 or so, and they looked like a big green ball.​
    A fairly good piece of work, though a bit overkill on the visuals.​

IncubiProtocoL - Ancient's Fury
    A nice and original idea.​
  • Triggering: 8/10
    The BJs should really be cut down on. Additionally, loops really should be used. Finally, I suggest a timer to escape the unpredictable jumpiness of TriggerSleepAction.​
    Overall fitting for a variety of games, balanceable, tooltip and icon seem fine, etc.​
    Fairly well done all around, my only major complaints being it was hard to tell what was going on at times, and the blue looked a bit out of place.​
    A pretty well done spell, but confusing at times.​

Justify - Poisonous Mushroom
    A fairly original idea, but chain traps are not uncommon.​
    An amazing job done on the code, as usual.​
    Fitting in a variety of maps, and a good icon, but I had no idea what the tooltip was trying to tell me.​
    The visuals were simple and effective.​
    A really well done spell, just watch out on the details.​

Paladon - Magical Birds
    An original idea.​
    Quite nice for GUI - I couldn't really find anything significant to complain about.​
    The tooltip was a horrible mess and was scary for a reader. The spell was also rather messy and unclear often what actually happened when you used it.​
    The visuals were rather excessive and detracted from the spell being understandable.​
    A decently done spell on the modding side, but a mess on the game side. I'd suggest getting some friends to test in the future, because I know it can be hard to not understand your own spell, so you often need an outside voice.​

Joe-black-5 - Sprout
  • Idea: 1/5
    Impale with trees.​
    The triggering that existed was fine, but what existed did not constitute much.​
    The tooltip and icon were fine. Evidently useful ingame as it's a stock spell.​
    The visual effects were simple but didn't really fit the effect at all - trees randomly started growing, which had something to do with all enemy units turning towards you, stunned.​
  • Total: 18/28
    What coding there was was good, but otherwise, you should really work on a more original and difficult idea.​

-BerZeKeR- - Touch of Nature
    A nice synthesis of multiple buff spells.​
    Pretty good, but not much existed.​
    The tooltip and icon were fine. The spell would be an amazing support spell ingame.​
    The visual effects were simple and effective.​
    I'd like it if you did a bit more on the code side, but otherwise, very nice.​

terradont - Earthliving Weapon
    A fairly original idea, but a little too much like vampiric aura/mask of death/etc for my liking.​
    Could use dynamic support for multiple levels, but good otherwise.​
    The tooltip didn't really tell me what the ability did, just something about leeching life which didn't seem to follow with the visuals. Everything else here was fine.​
    Mostly fine, but it would be nice if you added a heal effect to the people being healed so that it was more clear.​
    Fairly good, but its effect could be made more clear.​

The_Reborn_Devil - Nature's Wrath
    A neat and original idea.​
    A bug caused the trees to not disappear one time. Otherwise, fairly good, except keep the following in mind - you don't need to constantly destroy and recreate your global group, and not having a filter can cause what are effectively leaks.​
    The icon fit, and the tooltip described the spell effectively and concisely. The spell could be useful for a variety of situations.​
    Really good for the most part, but the trees disappeared kind've suddenly, the AoE targeter should've fit the actual AoE, and the acid was slightly too far right of where it should've been.​
  • Total: 25/28
    A neat spell, but with a few flaws that could be fixed.​

Eccho - Ancestral Protection
    An original idea.​
    I couldn't find anything to complain about in the code.​
    The icon fit, and the tooltip described the spell effectively and concisely. The spell could be useful for a variety of situations, though it perhaps would've been nicer to have it as unit-target.​
    The visual effects were great and made the presence of the spell evident.​
  • Total: 28/28
    Great job! You've certainly improved over the years.​

Herman - Wisp Redemption
    A unique idea.​
    The code was good.​
    The icon and tooltip were mostly good, and the spell could work in a variety of situations. However, the tooltip should tell you the absolute stats of the treants at higher levels, rather than relative stats. Also, I'm skeptical about including the line of trees. Finally, the treants could've been ordered to attack the target for maximum effectiveness. Also, some sort of expiration timer for the treants?​
    The visual effects were simple but effective.​
  • Total: 27/28
    Quite a good job. The majority of the spell was good, but there were a few holes in the concept.​

Dr Super Good - Nature's Aid
    An original and decent idea.​
    No major complaints here.​
    The icon was fine. However, I want to read a quick description of what the spell does, not an essay - your tooltip was pretty much terrifying to mouse over, and not particularly informative. In general, the spell was too convoluted.​
    The visual effects were fairly simple and fit well.​
    A fairly good job with the code and such, but the concept badly needs work.​

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I guess that is what happens if you make complex spells. I only really managed to condense it for the learn tooltip and should have condensed the actual use tool tip.

Honestly I think the ratting for the tooltip was far too high as you only read the tooltip once or twice and after that you only ever read the name. Also mostly you can tell what happens from one or 2 casts of a spell so a lot of people tend to take a more pratical approch to learning what a spell does rather than reading up about it.

Level 6
Gratz Eccho. I have to say I deserve a slightly lower score in triggering. The circle of bushes I created were dummy units. Then I realized units with locust have no collision so I created pathing blockers. Those bushes could've easily been special effects but I didn't have time to change. As of the over use of BJs, my only BJs were polar projections because I'm bad with coordinates and calculating angles. I feel I did pretty well for my first real JASS spell.

Thanks to poot for judging. Looking forward to the next contest.

Level 40
it's fine, as long as the spell isn't laggy dummies aren't a big deal. No problem about the judging, but sorry, I doubt there'll be a next contest. I already ended up having trouble finding time to do this one (as is no doubt evident from the date), and am becoming less and less connected from the Hive - outside this thread, I haven't really posted significantly in the last few weeks. Additionally, ironically enough, while having this many submissions is quite encouraging in a way (more than any major contest ever, if I remember correctly), it's a hell of a lot of work to mark them all, which makes it a turnoff in a way.

Level 12
Congratulations Gratz, again thank you PP for all the tedious work and time on this one :D

Ahhh, I really stripped the spell down alot for this one, I ws going to add more, and maybe add an expiration timer for the destructables (would've used/needed a destgroup ><), considered treant expiration but thought they were so weak, why bother? Now that I really think about it, somebody could just mass them :(

I was going to add a good deals worth more of effects when the wisp hit the target, but I decided not too for the sake of simplicity

I feel a little dumb not making the treants attack their target, especially with the creeps sleeping on the test map (X_X)

And lastly, yeah, the treants stats were all double-digits, I could've just put the literal instead of relative

Level 23
Thanks again all. And Jonnny, you just needed alittle more time and it was good to go. The same with yours Herman.

Me as hoster? Maybe, maybe not. Just because I won this contest doesn't mean that I have the most knowledge of spell making here. But sure, I guess it would be a good idea since I can't join the next contest and you can. I do not know what to say though. Maybe I should sleep at it;)

Status
Not open for further replies.