• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #16

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is more of a fun code learning environment than a contest, due to its low requirements, its short time limit, and its small prize. Each spell must adhere to the theme listed below, and to win, it should be executed well and take the main judging points into consideration.
Task
This contest's theme is

Nature

The spell must relate to nature, from trees and other plants to animals, to life-related magic, and so on, and so forth.
Rules
  1. All work should be done by the contestant and original to this contest, started after the contest started.
  2. Each contestant is only allowed one submission.
  3. The spell map should be unprotected so that code is readily accessible for marking.
  4. Imported material, beyond a dummy model, is strictly forbidden.
  5. Spells should support multiple levels, preferably an indefinite amount.
  6. The testmap should provide an adequate testing environment for the spell.
  7. Both Jass and GUI are allowed.
  8. If you use any third party tools, state them, and if they're obscure, provide a link. Note that WE Unlimited is not allowed.
    Third party tools include:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Helper
  9. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will generally be punished simply by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and a penalty in the related category.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
  • Have a negative reputation or
  • Won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will be as follows:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal. Other important aspects include multiinstanceability and the like.
  3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points wins.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems Hall of Fame" (the list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 13 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 23rd November (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
~PurplePoot

Level 23
Because it always has. And well, it is a triggers and scripts mini-contest so the most important would be the triggers/jass, not the selection of dummy units/spells etc.
But yes the concept should be good too, as well the effects matching.

Level 23
Which would be the same as a model with nothing inside it I guess. As the same way you declare the dummy unit a .mdl path as model directory.

Meh, I have never seen a model which is empty and has attachment points.

Edit: BerZeKeR, fell free to ask me about the Jass if you are uncertain at some points :)

Which would be the same as a model with nothing inside it I guess. As the same way you declare the dummy unit a .mdl path as model directory.

Meh, I have never seen a model which is empty and has attachment points.

Yeah i never used it eather, but i think it have attachment points(but i see no point there) D:

So Eccho, are you joining, or you are here just for the good spirit? ^^

Edit: Sure i will, i was sort of counting on that xD

Level 16
so i had a nice idea (i like it :p) and so i already finished the first version, only will prove it for bugs, but till now i didn't find one

here you can try my spell :)

it's written in vJass so u need JassNewGen to look into it

the only thing that sucks is the tooltip of the spell xD

Last edited:
Level 23
Let say, the time will tell ^^.
Nah, I am probably starting with this on Thursday. Neither way it wouldn't really bother me if I am not going to finish it, or if I will slam you all to the ground ( D: ). The last one shall be considered as a non-hostile joke.
But sure, the good spirit will stay through this thread. Now, go to work! :D

Edit: Woah, already done? it's 13 days left -_-'.
Edit2: Cool, I like it. Even though the effects are not unique this was something I had in mind^^

Last edited:
Level 16
ok, so i was too fast... already found many bugs and fixed them, also i had to rewrite a part of the code, because for some reason it wasn't mui XD, no i fixed all bugs i found, and changed the effect of the spell a bit... now there is a chance of 33% to some effects ;) but test it for your own: also set spell costs to 0 and cooldown too, (testing reasons)

edit: y the effects are realy not as unique as i wished, but together for the greater sake it's a unique spell XD but u know i don't want to reinvent the wheel XD
edit2: i have 13 days left, so i think about some unique effects, i do it for you! :D

Last edited:
Level 15
Yeah! Just got my spell to work according to plan! Here it is for people to flame and make suggestions :)
PS: I will comment on the other spells ASAP!
EDIT: Ok, comments!

Protection of Nature is good but the tooltips could use work. Also, I can see some Shadows where the trees where destroyed. You should try and work on that. Other than those, its quite good :)

Rooting is pretty nice, the spell itself is useful and quite neat. However, the visual effects might be better. For example, you may want to create a special effect when the hero casts the spell. Then after a short wait, make the rooting begin. And maybe even special effects whenever the target gets rooted even more.

Purge of Nature is REALLY GOOD! The spell is cool and the effects are nice. Also, it is MUI and can be useful. I like how you made the part where the thing have different effects based on what it hits. Also, I would recommend that you make it dispel blight (maybe) when it finishes purging the Earth.

Attachments

• Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #16- Rejuvanating Dust.w3x
    36.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Level 9
Seems nothing is going like i think it will go... Because i got my comp back and im able to enter :) And of course im doing so.

I didnt post that im entering earlier, cause i've been working on my spell - the Life Repletion.

Life Repletion
Strikes the target with huge force of life energy, transforming it into a tree, which begins to bloom. As it reaches its final stage, the plant attempts to release explosive spores, which damage nearby enemies.
Its my first entirely jass-written spell, also its MUI (as far as i can say) :)
Gonna work on it a bit more, need to improve visual effects and maybe add sthing.

@doom_sheep
Cool and original spell D: I've never thought of such a thing.
And btw, dont double post.
@Zack
Intersting, but it would require trees everywhere. And as doom said, the spirits get stuck very often, you should change it to create the units outside the forest.
@Paladon
Cool, but kinda... large. You used 14 separate triggers to regrow the trees, but you would merge them all together, just with multiple events.

Last edited:
Level 12
If anybody else looked at the other thread, yeah I'm gonna be entering

I have a pretty decent idea too :) Although I wanna make it better than what I already had in mind

Level 16
so redone some parts of the script, also added some more blood effects to show that the roots destroyed the skin!!, also added a new effect when the target dies it explodes, and the body parts deal damage to all nearby enemies

edit: i hate blizz, that they don't have more root models in wc3!! :<
edit2: added a new version (added constant globals for rawcodes etc. also preloader for dummy and dummyspells)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.