• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
ok its offical, sign me and VGRaptor as partners.

Our mapname is : Outcast: Survival of the fittest

Overview: Here is the idea so far (This is a work in progress and we havent started the map yet, because i havent discussed it into much detail with FGRaptor the idea could completly change, but this is the concept that I have so far)

I am also posting this here because i want to show FG a map overview i made, but image shack wont work so i cant PM him the map (darn it).

Storyline (Work in progress): Its the wonderful age of exploration! A ship of great explorers sets out to find the new world! Too bad columbus beat them to it, and they got no where near the "new world". They instead ran into a fierce storm, which set them horribly off course and washed them ashore a small island. Ahead of them was a much bigger island! Even from where they would look at it, its resources looked enourmous, mineral rich mountains, dense jungles full of fruit and crops. And extremly fertile soil excellent for the use of agriculture. This was a treasure! But who would claim it? Who will it be named after? These questions turned the Outcasts against each other, they paired up and decided to head out to the island each on their own... but their greed will be their purpose to fight... as they pit out against each other for domination of the island... Only one Outcast will rule..Who will it be? (actually 2, because its teams of 2, but One sounds better)

Features (Also a work in progress):

-Of course you cant fight a war alone, you need an army! No problem, there are some local natives there to drive into your war machine. Too bad not all of them are friendly, some will be easy to tame, but those are the weak. The strong are greedy, and demand something in return...

-Man power is great, but sometimes you need something more. After some exploration you will find that there are 3 Shrines in the island, many gods appeal to the natives, but these 3 seem to be the most popular. Taking control of the shrine will give you favour of the people who follow it. A Nature God, Water God, And Fire God... perhaps the gods will give you something to aid you spread their name...perhaps...but who believes in such things, you are a noble explorer... It sounds foolish...but perhaps...

-Gifts from the gods will surely aid you... but what about the gods themselves, legends speak of 3 power stones... might be an advantage if they are so sought after. Fight for possesion of all 3 stones... and then reap the rewards.

-Native spears and traps only? Surely there must be some salvage to be made from the shipwreck...

This is so far a concept that i have slightly discussed with FGRaptor, so this complete idea might change alot (To an extent). This is just a concept i have developed and thought i might share with everyone.

Attached is a quick map overview concept that i made in paint. It shows some important landmarks, and a taste of how the map might look.

Edit: there should be some green lines indicating the ruins are blocked too.

Attachments

• Map Concept.jpg
    Map Concept.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Level 3
To end off topicness, the whole point is its something that fits to the extreme the style of the map, and because of my work rate i have put to find a way of aciving the basic output of the spell as one of my objectives to be done if i find time, but by chance i came across the spell i wanted anyway.

i was pondering over nwheather to just copy the spell or if i sould try and do it myself, after reading all that ^^ ive decided to just copy the spell letter for letter and give full credit to author , xx-tricky or saomeone

Level 1
Paired Mapping Contest #1 [xChitzuix & pOmpei2]

hi, xChitzuix and pOmpei2 (me) are up and pwning :) (participate)

[Mapname: The Bad Way (TBW)]

Level 10
Paired Mapping Contest #1 [xChitzuix & pOmpei2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi, xChitzuix and pOmpei2 (me) are up and pwning :) (participate)

Paired Mapping Contest #1 [pOmpei2 & xChitzuix]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, xChitzuix (me) and pOmpei2 are up and pwning :) (participate)

Its the same person, its so obvious, both their post counts are 1, and they posted the same exact thing. Wtf? Do you read each others mind.

They should be investigated before they are let in! INTERROGATE THEM!

Level 1
lol Nothing strange here, we are two persons, just posted at exactly the same time and the same message for fun. How do you think one person can click on two buttons at the same time ????

Level 10
The post time for both the posts were 7:07. At the exact time.

With all the other clues, that is VERY suspicious.

And easy, you do it in under a minute, you can pre-write the message. Copy it and paste it quickly, then just switch the names, it does not take that long.

A good way to see if you are lying or not, is to arrange for you and your friend to go to the chat room at the same time. So we can chat with "Both" of you at the same time.

Anyway, enough of that. Lets get back on topic.

So anyway, anyone have some more feedback about our map concept and the map overview?

Feedback people.

And start posting pictures/previews of your maps!

Level 2
The two posts have the same IP, so he has created 2 accounts.

Rolala, newer thougt it will be soo complicate ...
I'll explayn you: Pompei2 is my brother and we are on the same router so we have same IP...
I searched for a map contest on Battle.net mapping blabla, they don'T have new contest... I searched very long, then my brother came to me: Hey there is a paired mapping contest, the price is shit but if you want I make a map with you, so we can see if we are skilled or not, do you want ?

AND SURE I WANT...

If you dont trust me, you can meet us TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME here:
1. On battle.net channel: "clan kdDc"
2. On TeamSpeak ... (I dont want to give IP here but if you want the IP, send me a prived message or an e-mail and I'll give you)
3. On MSN ... (same than 2.) [And on MSN we can use our WEBCAM, so you see that we are 2diff peoples)
4. IN REAL (same than 2. and 3.) !

And to make all this funny, we have written the same text and the pushed the Submit button at EXACTLY the same time, we thougt it would be funny but I see, it isnt funny at all for you -.-'

Level 7
guys, try to keep this on topic, those 10ish psots above mine haven't been about this contest!

Heavenbound overview:

Trials: 12
Main Stuff (excluding trials): 90%
Easter Eggs: 1
Funness: 200% har

I have recently added a scoring system, where the quicker you beat the trials, the more points you earn! Adds much competition. We will possibly add a "race" mode, where contestants race to see who reaches the other end first (seperate point counting instead of an overall team count)

There are lives (continues) and you start with 2 (so 3 deaths of team max).
We might implement adding more continues by doing secret stuff or passing 25 waves, etc...

Level 1
hey guys sry for offtopic/spam but this is just rofl :grin:
you guys are too paranoid, by the way IF chitzui and me WOULD BE the same person this would be a DISADVANTAGE for us (me) against you gouy that WOULD BE two persons ....

and we are two persons, see chitzui's post or ask anybody in channel "clan kddc".

sry for offtopic and GL all.

ps: chitzui writes in a different style then me ... ciao
edit: then take a look at the SECONDS the posts are posted it should be the same (u can see this in your database)

Level 10
edit: then take a look at the SECONDS the posts are posted it should be the same (u can see this in your database

So some how, you posted both your posts on the exact same second as each other, without any screw ups, on the first try?

Ah well, its not my right to point fingers. And btw, people want to make the map on their own for 2 reasons.

1. It is actually easier for some people who lack communication skills, or work better on their own.

2. You cant find a partner.

Why am i still going offtopic here.

Anyway, back on topic:

Some people start posting info/screenies/previews of their maps, just show us something, i didnt have much so i showed a concept.

Our map has a special unit making concept which we are developing, where you cant just build a barracks and train some units.

Instead, you have to get a male and female to produce more troops, and unless you are 5 i have no need to explain this further. You raise the infant through stages of youth, untill he eventually grows into an adult. At which point he can be trained into several options, a soldier, a worker etc.

Of course, this doesnt take as long as it would in real life, but its not as fast as training a unit, which stops the so called "Strategy" of just massing barracks and making shitloads of infantry. Alot of people call that strategy, because it works in alot of games. Not here, troops are few and hard to make. You can also "tame" local non-hostile natives, perhaps more of a "bribe" but in food, water, and things that might interest them.

However more hostile natives might need to be tamed more brutally.

So thats just more concept/ideas to get feedback on.

What do you think? Suggestions on how it can be improved?

And what does everyone else have so far.

Level 24
Well players .Me and Hereto will win ,so why ont you try to do some hard work and try to give us some competition.

But Hereto,if you think im such a newb at map making,you just saw me make one poor map,but that doesent proves nothing.I will do my best to snap you out of this.

We will do Materia Rpg and if you want i will take on 75% of the work.That is enjoyable and the little tricks ive made will make you all give me first place in no time

Now that was just an idea, i dindt even saw the competitions maps

Last edited:
Well players .Me and Hereto will win ,so why ont you try to do some hard work and try to give us some competition.

But Hereto,if you think im such a newb at map making,you just saw me make one poor map,but that doesent proves nothing.I will do my best to snap you out of this.

We will do Materia Rpg and if you want i will take on 75% of the work.That is enjoyable and the little tricks ive made will make you all give me first place in no time

Now that was just an idea, i dindt even saw the competitions maps

I think you dont understand...

I think I AM A NOOB at map making, not you....Im willing to do youre ideas and work with you, or I would have said otherwise in the first place....Read the PM I sent you..

Level 8

I would not get ahead of yourselves... we still have 2 months.

Due to the standards that we are setting for ourselves you will not see our map for a while. Quality over speed!

Last edited:
Level 8
Screenies

New terrain shots, enjoy
(We are also doing campaign-style submaps as well btw)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 117
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 87
Level 10
The map doesnt look like it has anything wrong with it, but i donno, i just think the idea of another loap type map is stupid. Its cliche.

Although it looks good, and not just another Loap edit, i just dont like the concept.

Cool swat effect though.

btw:

(Whats that weird thing at the beginning that like squashs the guy, the support column?)

Level 1
EDIT: BIG SORRY ! we have been accepted so you don't need to read this post unless you want :D and I won't spam here anymore. gl & hf guys ;)

Level 10
Arab4Life, lol, who cares if its a cliche as long as the gameplay owns.
And whats so cliche about Mafia, Drug and Police forces fighting each other?
Its not because the original loap lacks on gameplay and quality that all other maps that use the same idear will suck too...

That squash thing is indeed a sup. Colmn. flipped by 90 degrees in the object editor. I used an idear from GTA games where you could smash your car to get some car-junk money.

Level 10
That squash thing is indeed a sup. Colmn. flipped by 90 degrees in the object editor. I used an idear from GTA games where you could smash your car to get some car-junk money.

Ohhh, hey thats actually neat.

Every Loap game has it. Infact the same EXACT teams, Druglord, mafia and police.

Its not because the original loap lacks on gameplay and quality that all other maps that use the same idear will suck too...

Thats actually not true, Loap actually has very excellent triggers, and excellent quality, such as the judge commands, police capturing, income triggers, marrying and children. House buying, the triggers required in many jobs.

BUT, it is true that as we see Loap today, the first thing that comes to mind is, OMFG another crappy SUPER UBER GOD OF ANGEL DEATH ORB version.

All because the original was poorly protected, the original was made long ago, and at that time, the triggers which it had are quiet good.

Of course now, it has become an abomination of map edits.

Level 5
Arab4Life, lol, who cares if its a cliche as long as the gameplay owns.

I've played a lot of the drug-running maps that are on Bnet, and IDK if yours is similar, but I have some suggestions:

-Most drug maps have some kind of benefit associated with drugs (crack gives you 50 HP etc.) This is ridiculous, just not realistic. IDK about the more mild drugs like pot, but with cocaine, heroin, and the other hard drugs, certain people should be addicted to them and NEED to get them to function. Some of the cops should be addicted too, it would make the game more interesting.

-All these maps seem to focus on armed squads of swat teams shooting people carrying 100000000 kilos of cocaine. Not realistic. Where are the street-corner dealers?

Level 10
Hi, tnx for ur idears :) But i think that u beter post such things at the COD topic that u can find here
The problem with realism is that its very hard to make a realistic game, and if u do, it will be cool and original but probobly 2 hard or not interenting to play. Shooting and killing is what W3 was created for, so i guess itl be the best optiopn to use killing in every W3 map.
Dont get me wrong, i like ur idears and maybe i will use them, but dont ask for 2 much realism, cause it might sound cool, but can realy ruin the gameplay.

I've played a lot of the drug-running maps that are on Bnet, and IDK if yours is similar, but I have some suggestions:

-Most drug maps have some kind of benefit associated with drugs (crack gives you 50 HP etc.) This is ridiculous, just not realistic. IDK about the more mild drugs like pot, but with cocaine, heroin, and the other hard drugs, certain people should be addicted to them and NEED to get them to function. Some of the cops should be addicted too, it would make the game more interesting.

-All these maps seem to focus on armed squads of swat teams shooting people carrying 100000000 kilos of cocaine. Not realistic. Where are the street-corner dealers?

Level 7
ONTOPIC:
I and Diablo-DK's map is named.

Desperado Tag

It's a one of a kind tag and unique among all others.. Please add this as our map names. It's also a fun map as well, youre an desperado or outlaw then you hide in the vast jungle terrain from the Catchers, who can have special abilities in high levels. Desperados can build various defensive and offensive structures, have powerful skills...

Aviod being catched by the catchers or else you'll go into their prison, which costs a high price when releasing another player improsined. You cant release yourself, only other players can release you from prison, with lots of gold..

All tags i played have mediocre terrain and gameplay, I'll try to make this one entertaining and cool as posible.. And also have balanced difficulty

Progress
Terraining is 40% done, well, I tried to make the terrain as nice as 2-P's and I'm working on it right now... I'll make it realistic...

Diablo-DK well you'll do the triggers and AI, I'll do the object data and terraining.

Like I said when the map is done I'll give it to you and trigger it.. I'll give you instructions listed in the readme section of the trigger... Make sure no M. leaks exist in triggers, I hate Memory leaks... Thanks:infl_thumbs_up: Ill finish it as fast as I can.. I'm working on several things right now..

OFFTOPIC: How do you guys make videos of your maps using Saved Replays, or making videos of your maps w/out using video recorders?? Please help..

Status
Not open for further replies.