• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #27 - Colossus\Final Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Personally, I'm still waiting for a tag-team contest, I'll pass on this one.
I have long since come to terms that winning in this contest is not possible.

My skills are not sufficient and I have too little time to train as of now. Even if it is fun to do.
Since this is a hobby, I approach it as a hobby. A contest should be a challenge for a hobbyist imo.

Cooperation is gold for hobbies. Thus I like that idea as a contest.
Fighting for ranks and shiny things never really was my thing anyway. Granted, a medal is a nice motivator.

I propose different tiers for modelers. Like a bronze, silver, gold level.
Encouraging beginners and veterans alike in their respective contest.

Rookies battling rookies would be more of a exciting battle,
as they would not be so severely outclassed when a veteran joins the fray.

Like I was in my early days of modeling. Such eagerness to join, but being so demotivated by the gap. I feel this could benefit from the change.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Woah, I almost forgot about this... So when is this supposed to be over? By now?

Personally, I'm still waiting for a tag-team contest, I'll pass on this one.
I have long since come to terms that winning in this contest is not possible.

My skills are not sufficient and I have too little time to train as of now. Even if it is fun to do.
I propose different tiers for modelers. Like a bronze, silver, gold level.
Encouraging beginners and veterans alike in their respective contest.

Rookies battling rookies would be more of a exciting battle,
as they would not be so severely outclassed when a veteran joins the fray.

Like I was in my early days of modeling. Such eagerness to join, but being so demotivated by the gap. I feel this could benefit from the change.
I'm all for team-contests; however, they do struggle with logistics. I.e., as hard as it is for people to motivate & organize themselves to do a Contest alone, getting two disparate people across the Intarwebz to do so has proven to be much more difficult.

At the same time, some my most favorite & exciting things have come from Team Contests, and I personally would love to work together with someone for a few (maybe a Modeling Contest, more likely a Hero Contest (or Techtree, or Zephyr)

About the 'tiers'... I'll admit, I had not thought of this. It would certainly go to help solve the issue of "rookies vs. veterans" which can't be a lot of fun... In a Contest like this it's sort of a "who can win 2nd/3rd place after -Grendel", and I get that that's frustrating.

I'm concerned about the logistics of doing that, though (both as a Contest Host and to try & sell the idea to the mods/admins)... My biggest concern is that these Contests are never so well-attended that we could manage more than 1 or 2 tiers. I mean, in this Contest, who else would be at the "tier 1/gold" with -Grendel? Also related, how would it be decided who was at what tier/level? Would it be decided by the individual (i.e. "I enter at __ tier"), or by others (host/mod/admin/committee/poll/etc)? Could someone enter more than one tier, multi-compete; and if so, could they multi-win (I.e. "i won gold in tier 3, bronze in tier 1").

An interesting proposition.

Level 20
It's the 4th time I'm changing mine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Golem.jpg
    Golem.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 651
Level 20
An update :D

attachment.php

Click below for the model. So this is my submission, any feedback feel free to bring it at me.

And right now it works well with MS 200 and 0.35 attack point, so yeah.

And guys, please do remember to download the texture file together with it.

I might give a 256 version of the texture, or even 128 if file size is an issue(which almost always tend to be an issue), but other than that yeah just deal with the 512 texture, since it is a competition after all.

Edit 1: Update - Added spell slam. Edited dead animation.

Edit 2: Minor fixes and changes.

Edit 3: Sorry but I forgot to attach attachment points. The fixed version is Lavarock U2, but if this isn't allowed as it's past the competition deadline then feel free to use Lavarock U1 which is added in Edit 2, before the deadline.

Attachments

• Lavarock.blp
    148.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Lavarock U1.mdx
    111.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Lav2.jpg
    Lav2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,777
  • Lavarock U2.mdx
    114.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Level 6

Nice model. He walks like a real big dumb guy. The sound is really fitting his footstamps (footstamps... is that a word?). Anyway, i also like hit attack animations. But what im missing is a nice sound @ death and i did not like the undead disspate @ the end. His spell animation is cool and fitting. I also miss an AoE Attackslam or SpellSlam animation. Before i get called out : I know, animations are hard and time killing.
Anywayz, nice model! + rep!

Level 20
Nice model. He walks like a real big dumb guy. The sound is really fitting his footstamps (footstamps... is that a word?). Anyway, i also like hit attack animations. But what im missing is a nice sound @ death and i did not like the undead disspate @ the end. His spell animation is cool and fitting. I also miss an AoE Attackslam or SpellSlam animation. Before i get called out : I know, animations are hard and time killing.
Anywayz, nice model! + rep!

Aye, I heard ya. I'll try to add more spell animations if time allows, 8 more days left anyway. And a death. yeah I was also thinking bout the dissipate, cause I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe I'll just go with nothing for dissipate then.

Hmm... Is Team Color Needed?

THEARM.jpg

If I have enough time to finish it, I will throw this to contest i guess.. But most probably not enough time to finish it, will see what happen :p

Though With so many awesome model is made, Even if I done, Pretty sure mine is like Shit

The Arm: Specialize at Slapping Giant Monster

Last edited:
Level 10

THEARM.jpg

If I have enough time to finish it, I will throw this to contest i guess.. But most probably not enough time to finish it, will see what happen :p

Though With so many awesome model is made, Even if I done, Pretty sure mine is like Shit

I love the concept! Keep up the awesome work! God Bless!

Level 21

THEARM.jpg

Well,this certainly is a intriguing idea,keep up the good work

Level 6

THEARM.jpg

Dude... You're F-ing original. I have not seen a hand model for a unit!!! I think a hand model is a really good addition to the hive. Also you can model it pretty nice (although modeling is hard!) like making a fist (angry), waving (taunting), pointing to a direction (spell), snapping vingers (victory), come-here gesture (taunt), ect.

GL and HF

Dude... You're F-ing original. I have not seen a hand model for a unit!!! I think a hand model is a really good addition to the hive. Also you can model it pretty nice (although modeling is hard!) like making a fist (angry), waving (taunting), pointing to a direction (spell), snapping vingers (victory), come-here gesture (taunt), ect.

GL and HF

Im thinking of Animating every finger, and do handsign for spell, but i see the time left.... Hahaha, Not sure XD

The%20Arms.jpg

It Turned out to be pretty horrible in game, I will just remake it and use a different texture choice :(
(and animate every finger if time allow)

THE%20ARM.jpg

Here it is, Still looks sucks ingame, but i will just submit this ==
Not sure if my WIP picture is enough

Download

Last edited:
Level 23

Im thinking of Animating every finger, and do handsign for spell, but i see the time left.... Hahaha, Not sure XD

The%20Arms.jpg

It Turned out to be pretty horrible in game, I will just remake it and use a different texture choice :(
(and animate every finger if time allow)

THE%20ARM.jpg

Here it is, Still looks sucks ingame, but i will just submit this ==
Not sure if my WIP picture is enough

Download

If that guy slaps people, wouldn't it hurt a lot? especially with an eye in his palm? Dunno, it would probably make more sense if the eye is at the opposite side of the hand. xD

It's still a pretty awesome concept though :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
If that guy slaps people, would it hurt a lot, especially with an eye in his palm? Dunno, it would probably make more sense if the eye is at the opposite side of the hand. xD

It's still a pretty awesome concept though :thumbs_up:

Hmm... Because He need eye to Strike Correctly :O Just think that his eye is not his weakness XD

Level 6
Hmm... Because He need eye to Strike Correctly :O Just think that his eye is not his weakness XD

He just closes his eyes at the last second. Just like sharks do. Btw, i really like your model! So much animations and stuff. It would shine even more if you can at more popular gestures, like waving, pointing. But besides that, props! well done sir!

An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
I missed this, so I decided to post it, hopefully mine still valid
TheArm2.jpg

This is My Model Link: The Arm

I posted the model before the Deadline, But i edit that post gathered all the needed things to join the Contest...
And I hope im not disqualified :(

Offtopic:
16u1qh.jpg

Last edited:
Level 49
I apologize for all of the delays in this contest. I'm currently quite busy in real life and haven't got as much time as I'd like to dedicate to matters such as these. I promise I'll get the poll set up soon.

As for Pvt.Toma and Hayate, on account of our lack of finished submissions, I'll allow both of your entries. I hope that's okay with the rest of the contestants.

Paulus, when the poll will go up I'll link it here. You will find links to all of the entries there.

I apologize for all of the delays in this contest. I'm currently quite busy in real life and haven't got as much time as I'd like to dedicate to matters such as these. I promise I'll get the poll set up soon.

As for Pvt.Toma and Hayate, on account of our lack of finished submissions, I'll allow both of your entries. I hope that's okay with the rest of the contestants.

Paulus, when the poll will go up I'll link it here. You will find links to all of the entries there.

so If there is no Lack of Contestant, I can't join huh? :O Then how to actually join properly?

Level 35
It was not unheard of before. Some contests are less successful than others. To be fair the theme was fairly difficult. I tried to find the time and motivation to participate, but I could not do it in the end.

Well, difficult to make, but a very interesting theme. But yea, that lack of time to participate was exactly what I meant with the time kills comment :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.