• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
135169d1399978653-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-steampunk.jpg

Twerkbot 1000
will be adding some more..things..to the cape later. not really fond of the plain team colored look.

Dat Cape...Again. I know your style :) Keep it up!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Kyrbio@ what the? XD I'm building you that, granted, with so many pauses that it ain't even funny .u.
Yeah, I know... but like I said, always interested in alternative viewpoints... >_>, <_<, >_< Hey, how's that going by the way? :p

Why saying that only the engine should be steampunkish and the victorian aesthetic is still important and then contradict yourself by ignoring the fact that the rest of the aesthetic is as almost a carbon copy of modern ACV with nothing indicating it's victorian.It's not just about steam there's plenty of modern technology that still use steam like smoothing iron but should not be considered steampunk.
Hm. I see your complaint. If I may, are you basically saying that the problem is that he seems to be making something that is not really "steam-punk" per say, but more like "regular technology"?

I suppose a strict(er) definition of what exactly counts as "Steampunk" would (have) be(en) helpful for the purposes of this contest; I do see that "Victorian-themed" bit you're talking about in the description (though it's one quick line; the rest of the paragraph is devoted to alternate ideas)...

It's been my experience that when a contestant goes a bit outside of "Theme", it generally works out because the Judges will grade off for that discrepancy. Now if he was making a Godzilla or a stuffed animal... Yeah, problem. :p But at least it's "technology", arguably "steam"-driven... And besides, he's not done yet; perhaps he has some more "Theme-fitting" modifications to make.

~

Speaking of which, where's your entry? :p We're all dying to see CLASH OF THE TITANS here. : )

View attachment 135179
I'll call him Sir Avery Twerkenstein
(i actually don't know if i'll keep the spiffy 'stache and monocle..what do you guys think?)
View attachment 135180
better view of the weapon
That is so ridiculously you, -Grendel... And I'm still not quite sure what it is (Automaton Knight?).

Leave the monocle for now. :p

Level 26
Something about that model is giving me borderlands vibes now. XD
I think it's making remember that explosives girl from there, Tiny Tina.

Why saying that only the engine should be steampunkish and the victorian aesthetic is still important and then contradict yourself by ignoring the fact that the rest of the aesthetic is as almost a carbon copy of modern ACV with nothing indicating it's victorian.

What I don't get is why you're dissing the model as if it was complete. ;D

Level 49
That is so ridiculously you, -Grendel... And I'm still not quite sure what it is (Automaton Knight?).

Leave the monocle for now. :p
yeah, i'll stick with the "gentleman" looks, i think it gives him more character.

135186d1400007453-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-steampunk.jpg

this is what i got so far. i tried adding a top hat for a more british gentleman look but it just looked too cluttered with the spartan mohawk so i just dumped the idea.

P.S. his grey armor is a lot darker with my own version. i just forgot to set the materials on "modulate" that's why its lighter in the preview.

Attachments

• steampunk.jpg
    steampunk.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 467

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Added a backpack. I'm a bit unsatisfied with him, although I totally want to keep the basic look of his mesh (suit etc.) any other equipment or style ideas are appreciated.
Hey, not bad at all. Definitely a simplistic mesh, though I like the backpack. I have to wonder where you are going with it all.

Added some details:
135190d1400018030-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-wip_02.jpg
Definitely looking more 'punk'. Or is it 'steam'? :p Either way I've always loved Hovercrafts.

Level 26
Wow, this guys are hardcore, maybe I'm no match for this guys, But I'll participate
I'll go with machines

Aerial War Helix
8n6RAKq.jpg

Not yet finish, There are still something missing and the animations aswell
Ohhh, this guys here have good looking and awesome models

Err.. You showed me that model a week ago in a PM, remember? The rules state that the model should not be started before the contest.
It gives you an unfair advantage over the other contestants.

Wow, this guys are hardcore, maybe I'm no match for this guys, But I'll participate
I'll go with machines

Aerial War Helix
8n6RAKq.jpg

Not yet finish, There are still something missing and the animations aswell
Ohhh, this guys here have good looking and awesome models

ehh sorry, but that model will only make you disqualified, mate, + more that you've just shown it to me. I'd really like if you return to your footman, as it WAS going great, i think

Level 26
ehh sorry, but that model will only make you disqualified, mate, + more that you've just shown it to me. I'd really like if you return to your footman, as it WAS going great, i think

You're mixing him up with Chenralstrasz, Misha.
Edge45, we appreciate the interest and will always say the more the merrier.

But since the rules were created for the contest to be fair, you'll have start over, with a new entry.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
135196d1400078978-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-untitled-1.jpg

135195d1400078978-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-axe.jpg

that's pretty much it for the mesh. might add some few little stuffs here and there. gonna start rigging and animating now.
STAHP.

Hey, that's neat. Reminds me of Dr. Robotnik's Egg-Flying-Doohickey... Except minus the flying. :p (though that might be a cool Alternate version).

Level 35
eh to be honest, that tiny tiny little chimney at the back does not really say 'steampunk' to me.. I say stick a friken church organ on his mech, belching smoke, and that'll be steampunkish enough :xxd:

I thought it was a joke on a gorilla steam-punk robot, with that funny steam pipe being the tail.

Curious now to see if I am just completely off the deep end or if I am just brilliant at deductions of odd humour :wink:

Level 24
You're mixing him up with Chenralstrasz, Misha.
Edge45, we appreciate the interest and will always say the more the merrier.

But since the rules were created for the contest to be fair, you'll have start over, with a new entry.

Well, ok, I understand(I think)
I was going to delete the post, but i'm having double thoughts
But I have another Idea I have in mind
Thanks for giving me a second chance

WIP v.099

183403-albums6929-picture84021.jpg

183403-albums6929-picture84022.jpg

183403-albums6929-picture84023.jpg

still have to add a mesh for:

fludic blow torch flame
small zap textured lightning for the tazer hand

still need particles for:
Drill Sparks
Saw Sparks
Tazer Sparks
Blow torch flame

and still have to animate my planned:

spell first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth,
walk 1, 2, 3.
stand 1, 2, 3
attack
Morph (burrow), Morph Alternate (unburrow)
Death, Death spell
Death Spell Alternate (explodes under ground)

and much much more! the portrait alone!!!

Level 51
Hmm I kinda have to agree with Misha, there is no stempunk feeling to it, the same with Pvt.toma's model. They look like regulary mashines and I've I saw them unconnected to this thread I'd never guess them into this contest's theme. Which is, a bad thing I guess?

Don't take me the wrong way, the models are great but you still have to do sthm. to add the steampunk flavour.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
WIP v.099

183403-albums6929-picture84021.jpg

183403-albums6929-picture84022.jpg

183403-albums6929-picture84023.jpg

still have to add a mesh for:

fludic blow torch flame
small zap textured lightning for the tazer hand

still need particles for:
Drill Sparks
Saw Sparks
Tazer Sparks
Blow torch flame

and still have to animate my planned:

spell first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth,
walk 1, 2, 3.
stand 1, 2, 3
attack
Morph (burrow), Morph Alternate (unburrow)
Death, Death spell
Death Spell Alternate (explodes under ground)

and much much more! the portrait alone!!!
Very interesting. I like where it's going... But I think my biggest concern with it, unlike the others, is the 'presence' of those weapons. This guy already looks like he'll be pretty small, but in-game those tiny guns and miniscule saw-blade will (I believe) just disappear. Is there any way to "Warcraft-ize" those things? :p

Level 20
Im in :D

WIP (Havent added Head - Armor (over its body) - Arm,ArmWeapon,Weapon yet, the one in that hood is just it's neck :xxd: and those "arms" are just half of them, i'll make the rest different from each other):
KOZjoUv.jpg

I'll probably follow this contest til the end (My PC crashed in the previous contest that i joined so i couldnt submit my model on time xD)

they (the weapons) aren't meant to be detailed, they are more just there so I have an excuse to use yellow orange red and blue spark emitters during attack, and to have a spell animation devoted to each effect (taser for vehicle stun, drill for pierce damage, blow torch for fire damage, ect ect) to make them bigger isn't just not necessary, them being small is crucial to burrow being able to work where the arms subtract inside the head. I wont be including guns on this model, this model is a melee attacker only. even down to the suicide because its base model started life as a goblin land mine for a reason

and if people keeping telling me its not steam punk, then you haven't played dishonored. dishonored is pure steam punk, but everything's powered by whale oil burning to make electricity. MiniMage told me about this contest, and I asked him if a star wars buzz droid, red alert 3 terror drone, sc2 terran widow mine combination made wc3 goblin with a bit of mix from tim burtons ''Nine'' would be good for this contest and he said it'd be great. ''steam punk'' doesn't HAVE to have a chimney with coal and water with a furnace running, its a style of machinery and art, powered by many means, whether its whale oil, electricity, coal, oil, steam, magic what ever, if you guys are too rigid about ''steam punk'' requiring STEAM to power every models locomotion here your not going to get the diversity to make this interesting, steam punk is a way of describing machinery and machinery's looks..... like how wc3 goblins models are often steam punk. il be adding small exhaust pipes later to the back of his head that also subtract into his head for burrow to work, just give me a chance guys sheesh! its not even half done!. and this is my first contest ever so.

Level 22
Icewolf055,
reminds me something, lol.

Kellym0,
I definitely agree with you, in this thread i've seen too much comments very narrow-minded about what steampunk should be or should not be... I think all models presented there have something related to steampunk, i think it's hard to give a clear definition of this word...

Anyway, here is another WIP, with goblins now:
135274d1400272575-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-wip_03.jpg

I think the mesh is now mostly complete.

Kellym0,
Seeing your model seems to be such a sophisticated thing, maybe it would be a good idea to show some internal machinery (like what can be seen in expensive watches), since steampunk often rely on showing complex mechanisms. What do you think?

Attachments

• WIP_03.jpg
    WIP_03.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 415
@ Freddyk

''i think it's hard to give a clear definition of this word...''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

bascialy its everything lol

''Seeing your model seems to be such a sophisticated thing, maybe it would be a good idea to show some internal machinery (like what can be seen in expensive watches), since steampunk often rely on showing complex mechanisms. What do you think? ''

you mean like mechanical gears? I wasen't planning too, burrowing is pretty important to me I really want my model to have, but I may infact have some places to stuff som gears, thanks for the suggestion I may just do that

Status
Not open for further replies.