• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zinc vs cJass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Lately I've discovered two new scripting languages for the warcraft 3 WE. One's called Zinc and is being developped by Vexorian, and the other one's called cJass and is developped by ADOLF and Van Damm. I've yet to code anything in either of these languages, so I'll let you, Tukki, decide which language we should code Everwood in.

cJass
Zinc

Somehow (and I haven't looked in the manuals for very long), I would prefer Zinc as Vexorian has made it. His work is always remarkable. However, it seems that cJass has been in development for longer, which means it has more features.

Level 6
Alright, just read the Zinc manual. It seems cool =)

cJass is awesome because of the #define keyword, really.
Zinc seems awesome because of the syntax changes. But I, personally, don't like the return keyword "->" that much, but hey, I might get over it.

I'll have to rewrite some stuff if we change to Zinc, but that's not a big problem for me. I'd currently go for cJass because I kind of like it more, but since Vexorian's stuff is the shit it might be good to switch to Zinc.

To sum things up: ATM Zinc doesn't have a lot to offer beside the syntax change, and I'll probably code slower in Zinc than in cJass. So, it's your call, really =P

On a side note: Since I don't need the map, it leaves it possible for you to code in Zinc, while I code in cJass and compiles it into vJass code. But it'll generally be easier if we code in the same language :p

Level 9
Then let's just code in cJass, the only reason for coding with one of these languages is typing speed, and at the moment cJass is faster to code with. If Zinc gets some major update that makes it faster, we can just start coding in Zinc from that moment on, and keep the code we already have in cJass.

Status
Not open for further replies.