• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

World of Warcraft needs a new engine?

The game needs a new engine?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Well, the World of Warcraft every day that goes go dying by changes and the graphs. This time the "WoW" no should have a new engine?

Level 24
I have a hard time seeing why World of WarCraft would need a new engine, the graphics have never bothered me since there are more important matters like the story of WarCraft.

eh, I don't really think so. This topic comes up A LOT. I personally believe Blizzard has done a good job with their approach to the ever-increasing-graphics-bar for modern games.

When WoW was first released, and up until Cata, most computers really didn't have a problem playing the game--especially on low settings. I believe that to be one of the big reasons for WoW's success. Newer games can show mind-boggling graphics, but only high-end users can even run it. ex: One reason I didn't end up playing Sc2 because my old junk PC couldn't run the beta properly.

Once WoW branches out and leaves those players behind, a whole player base may be lost (and that is the last thing that Blizzard wants after their declining subscriptions). WoW has done a good job of finding a balance--especially with their graphics options. People with low end computers can still enjoy rather smooth gameplay on low quality, and the higher end computers can enjoy higher-definition graphics with ultra settings. (and you really can't say that about other MMO's, by low end I mean 2003 "family" computers) Keep in mind that WoW's player base is really diverse (both worldwide and by age). Heck, my arena partner's first friend in WoW was a grandmother.

As for my second reason, I enjoy the looks of WoW. It has its own charm, much like what Warcraft 3 has. There is a separate appreciation for that, sort of like with Wind Waker. :)

and also, transferring to a new engine would require a lot more coding and data exportation and importation and testing than just continuously improving the current engine... it might even be easier to just make a new game in that new engine rather than porting an already existing game...

and yeah, keeping the graphic options is nice since it allows people with not so new computers to play the game... seriously, there's a lot of good games out there right now but the system requirements of those games make it hard for normal people to play them...

PS: I'm one of those who really don't appreciate developers trying to achieve "realistic" graphics...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.