• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A new game engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34
I'm wondering, if someone managed to create a new game engine that is similar to Warcraft III but is more limitless, will you guys move to that game engine?

Because the shitty-ness level of Warcraft 3 always motivate me to create a better engine someday, that covers all limitations that you can find here in wc3.

Level 4
There have been modding projects, but many of them were incomplete or sunk into oblivion.

Level 4
This reminds me. There was an attempt to make an opensource imitation of Warcraft II, but once Blizzard heard about it, they asked the project to stop. By asking -- I don't know what they said or implied, but the team stopped. It was called Wargus.

Kazeon

Level 34
The game engine will be:
- Same shit graphic as wc3 (believe me it's better as it is)
- No, it wouldn't run wc3 maps of course ._.
- Has it's own coding interface (like JASS) & GUI will also available
- It should be as beginner-friendly as possible. Giving a nice "first step" experience into the world of game making/developing.

But I'm not quite sure here, I think making one would require a damn godly skill. >.> And it will requires a team of course, just let's see if I can gather a team that agrees to make it, a game engine.

Level 29
Yes, it's better as it is, because if you'll need to uphold any sort of standard for resources (you know, like models with proper topology, texture unwraps that aren't crap, using other types of textures beside diffuse, using animation curves, etc.), you'll soon find out you have exactly zero people in this community that can create resources.
At least you are practical on the theoretical side, unlike all of the previous stupid threads that suggested this.
Then again, this is never going to happen either way. Why would anyone be interested in making a game engine that imitates a 13 year old game? Just so you could avoid the complexities of, you know, actually creating quality resources?

Kazeon

Level 34
Then again, this is never going to happen either way. Why would anyone be interested in making a game engine that imitates a 13 year old game? Just so you could avoid the complexities of, you know, actually creating quality resources?
Hmm. It doesn't exactly imitate, it's just at the same level. But good point there, yeah it's near impossible to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.