• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor Screen problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
The Problem
(1) When I open world edit, the 3d window/minimap/treeview location retain the color of what was last displayed. (Refer to picture)
(2) When I try to open any map, it immediately crashes. (Even maps I made which I know are unprotected) Look at second picture for crash. Same happens when I try to make a new map.

Resolution of new screen is:1680x1050

Two things I did that may be the culprit.
First: I bought a new wide screen. Its really cool looking, though it does distort wc3/sc horribly. (If you know the fix this without windowed mode tell me. Windowed mode is great, but full screen is better.)

Second: I changed the video settings of wc3. I changed the resolution to a finer one as to get a better picture. I have already changed it back to the original setting!

I normally use the New Gen pack, however in all screenshots you'll see i got the same errors in the normal editor!! (I experience the error with the normal editor

Note: In the first attached picture I demonstrated what happens if you drag the tool palette around.

*************************************PROBLEM FOUND********************************************************
The problem is that WE can't handle my screen maximized. It works just fine when i resize the window to approx. its size with my other screen. The second I maximize it, it fails horribly. If anyone knows a fix to this I'd be extremely grateful.

Attachments

• VerySad.jpg
    VerySad.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 264
  • CRASH.jpg
    CRASH.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Level 9
you can try reducing the monitor's resolution. Try extending the tree/minimap section. The WE has no resolution setting, but Blizzard probably didn't create it using the resolution of your wide-screen. It's simply over the limit. You either have to do it windoed or reduce the screen resolution. It seems that where the background is copying over is about where the WE perimiter should be.

Level 11
Oh *Wow* you were right. It works fine when I resize the window down to my previous size. But as long as the window is 'maximized' nothing works. +Rep

Damn, if anyone knows how to fix that, so maximization works I'd be grateful.

Level 9
I was going to say that the WE must have a resolution limit to it, but then i just set my screen resolution to 1600x1200 and i have no problems. Of course i am also using UMSWE.. I checked regular WE and it works fine. Could be an add-on you have, or even something wrong with your ram. Ram problems can do any number of weird things to one's comp. Did you insert and cards lately? Maybe you shorted a ram chip.

Last edited:
Level 11
No, the only thing I've changed in the least year and a half is my monitor.

There IS a resolution limit.

1600x1200 is still pretty square-ish. My monitor is wide screen 1680x1050
I think that wc3/WE can't handle a resolution which isn't a 4:3 ratio. My screen is definitely not that ratio. You'll notice that every option in the WC3 resolution menu is a 4:3 ratio! (1600x1200 is 4:3, 640x480 is 4:3)

1680x1050 = 8:5 Ratio

Level 11
Ok, I've narrowed it down to the fact it can't handle the resolution of my screen. When I got a widescreen, and I maximize it, the picture boxes stop working. As long as its resized to a certain limit (Which I've approx. determined) The boxes stop working. They're working, then a pixel larger and they stop working... I'm pretty sure its not meant to exceed past the normal 4:3 ratio, so once its too far past it stops working correctly.

Level 4
I run WE in 1680x1050 here without any issue and such a restriction would normally be a limitation of the subsystem rather than the app that uses it.

From looking at your first screenshot it looks like a possible clipping issue. I don't know what your other system specs are but in the process of elimination, here's what I would do:

- If you have an ATI card, turn off Catalyst AI (having this enabled has been known to produce symptoms similar to what you describe when running 3D software in Windowed mode)

- Make sure you've installed the correct driver for your monitor.

- Backup your mods for WC3 and uninstall it, then manually delete the entire WC3 folder to remove any file remnants. Then make a clean install. Troubleshooting with a clean install can help avoid confusion as to the source of the issue.

- Video drivers and directx can become corrupt over time (especially if you have auto-updates enabled, use system restore, and/or have updated drivers in the past without first completely uninstalling them). This can be the case even if other applications appear to run okay.

- Uninstall your video driver (or use a 3rd party driver removal tool) and allow the default Windows drivers to be loaded on reboot, then reinstall your (preferably updated if applicable) drivers.

- Reinstall directx and allow it to Repair any files and/or file references.

Status
Not open for further replies.