• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wizard (And some other stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Mainly got the inspiration from Robh Ruppel's concept art fantasy drawing from here http://www.robhruppel.com/fantasybig19.html
I copied this picture for practice in shading, and ended up drawing some other things around him whenever I got bored. Scanner quality isn't that great so it took out some small details and lightened the shading.
Feedback greatly appreciated :)

PS: This is just a WIP actually, I still need to add more details and shading and more atmosphere such as a background with mountains and a castle for example. And sorry about the HUGE image. I can't figure out how to make it smaller.
EDIT: Attached image to post.

Attachments

• 2rd88xf.jpg
    2rd88xf.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 25
Thanks for the complement hehe, and sorry about the size, I just simply can't figure out how to. And it's way too big to resize in Paint, not enough window space! :p
[EDIT]
Added a smaller pic :D

Ugh, just noticed that the guy in the corner's face is torn in half... meh, I'll deal with that later.

Last edited:
Level 25
Legs out of proportion? I measured the legs on the knight for sure, the head on the wizard is a little big I guess. Legs are short on the demon and I guess the axe dude is... meh, I messed him up bad. WIP'd!
lol yeah, TDR is gonna give me a spankin'

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I'll try to be short on this one, because all you did sums up to a few basic things:
- proportions are a mess up. Just look at a nearby human and you'll spot the drastic proportional errors in your character. But the most disturbing one is that knight. Just comparing it to himself shows big errors: look at the size of his right arm compared to his left arm...that's either an error or is due to the perspective, but that would mean that the distance between his shoulders would be around 1km. Also his face is very, very deformed but I think you already acknowledged that. Oh and his ear is within the hinge of the helmet, that would be quite painful, don't you think?
I have nothing to say about the demon, there you decide the proportions (nice little face on him though, that's the best part of this drawing although his jaw looks thinner than his upper jaw)
-the technique. Well I have to say it's quite awful. You don't draw the basic construction lines and volumes of your objects, so that's why the proportions and perspective are off, and the shading is just...just never smudge pencil ever again, or graphite for that matter. It's not a pleasant effect and not expressive at all. The materials to smudge are pastels, charcoal and chalk. But never do it with the finger. In the worse case do it with cotton or a paper napkin, but the best way to do it is with a paper blender. Graphite is good only for hatching and that's how it should be used.
The line stile is getting there, but you have to modulate your lines more and better, because now the thickness varies kinda randomly, instead of in key places.
All in all is not a very succsesfull drawing and the main reasons are the proportional errors, lack of anatomy knowledge and the nasty shading technique.

Level 25
I'll try to be short on this one, because all you did sums up to a few basic things:
- proportions are a mess up. Just look at a nearby human and you'll spot the drastic proportional errors in your character. But the most disturbing one is that knight. Just comparing it to himself shows big errors: look at the size of his right arm compared to his left arm...that's either an error or is due to the perspective, but that would mean that the distance between his shoulders would be around 1km. Also his face is very, very deformed but I think you already acknowledged that. Oh and his ear is within the hinge of the helmet, that would be quite painful, don't you think?
I have nothing to say about the demon, there you decide the proportions (nice little face on him though, that's the best part of this drawing although his jaw looks thinner than his upper jaw)
-the technique. Well I have to say it's quite awful. You don't draw the basic construction lines and volumes of your objects, so that's why the proportions and perspective are off, and the shading is just...just never smudge pencil ever again, or graphite for that matter. It's not a pleasant effect and not expressive at all. The materials to smudge are pastels, charcoal and chalk. But never do it with the finger. In the worse case do it with cotton or a paper napkin, but the best way to do it is with a paper blender. Graphite is good only for hatching and that's how it should be used.
The line stile is getting there, but you have to modulate your lines more and better, because now the thickness varies kinda randomly, instead of in key places.
All in all is not a very succsesfull drawing and the main reasons are the proportional errors, lack of anatomy knowledge and the nasty shading technique.

Thanks for the tips TDR :) I just noticed I drew the ear coming over the helmet lol, I'll definately fix that for sure, along with arm and shoulder proportions and maybe fix up the demon a bit too. Shading IMO should be darker, it looks dull and plain the way it is now and I never really set a specific light; well I did, but ended up getting bored and forgot all about keeping the shading correctly made. I didn't shade with my finger but I did smudge the drawing a couple times because my way I hold the pencil is awkward and it smudges the drawing many times (big pain in the ass to fix) and I might have smudged the picture with other pages of my sketchbook. Any how, I did shade with a "Shading Stub" AKA "Blending Stub".
I will take what you've said into moderation and consideration. I've learned what I must fix and it may impact on other drawings that I end up making in the future.
Or I may do it wrong and it ends up to be a failure :p

Status
Not open for further replies.