• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WIP: Ike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm attempting to create Ike from Fire Emblem/SSBB.
This is my first model, and I've been working on this for an hour a day for a few weeks so I'm really proud of what I've got so far :grin:
A few pictures:
The real Ike:
300px-Ike.jpg

What I made:
ikepreview1pl2.th.jpg
ikepreview2up5.th.jpg
ikepreview3np6.th.jpg
ikepreview4ur3.th.jpg

ikepreview5dr6.th.jpg

No animations yet.

Please critique me!! :xxd: It would really help me out.
(Improvements will be posted later.)

Last edited:
Level 7
Its really nice actually, it starting to look like Ike too :thumbs_up:.

But since you want criticism on your model then I will prepare some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on it :grin:.

1. It does look like him in a way which is nice, but ... I suggest making the face more cleaner in some way, I mean hes a young guy right? :hohum: Also don't put a shaved off beard of some sort, because it makes the model not look like Ike. If you can somehow change it, that'd be great! :thumbs_up:

2. If you can, please make a golden recolor of the sword, that would be nice as well, because the sword really fits Ike in some way but I prefer a golden sword.

3. Optionally, make the left chestpad bigger and maybe put holes in random places in the skin on the bottom of the cape? :confused:

Anyway its very nice, I hope you will finish it soon, because am sure lots of people will need this :grin:.

Level 2
Okay, thanks for the input.
Here's the improvements (with larger pictures this time):
-lengthened headband
-lightened face slightly
-slightly lengthened sword & recolored it
-played with UV map (texture coordinate editor in Milkshape) & a picture of the Brawl Ike to make a more accurately colored chest, cape, and shoulderpad
-made cape more raggedy
-New tri count is 552.

Pictures:
ikepreview6jb9.jpg

ikepreview7md4.jpg

proportions:
ikepreview8bd0.jpg

As you can see Ike's head is almost 1/6 of his body, which is nearly correct

Texture (including parts of the pic of Ike that I lamely edited in & UV mapped - newbie skillZ!! :D):
ikene1.jpg

Still to come:
-curved part of Ike's sword
-better shaped face
-reshaped/retextured arms/hands
-possibly reproportioned (Ike's chest was modeled of off Arthas, so he looks a bit too bulky)
-hopefully new hair
-animations
-a Holey cape! :razz:

Level 2
Yeah, I understand that this isn't the best way to learn how to texture.
However, it seemed like a handy little shortcut, and because the closest thing I have to a picture editing app is Paint, it's either cut & paste or all brushed by hand... and being a newbie I can't live with that :hohum:

Level 2
The whole skin is annoying actually
Could you please tell me why? As I've said before, this is only my first model, and I'm incredibly n00b. :hohum:
I know I asked for criticism, but saying "that's annoying" doesn't help me.

On another note, I'm working on the texture right now, attempting to sharpen the edges and work over the C&P. It should be done in the next 24 hrs. Thanks to all the rest for the input so far.

Level 7
Hmmm ... the new version scares me :eekani: ... anyways I loved that you recolored the sword :grin:, but that chestpad texture is very ... strange, like the Skin and Texture is like ... really off the model or something ...

Anyways here some new things that might give you some ideas, but if you can do it, that would make me happy lolz (As if I ain't enough XDish :grin:) ...

1. Make his hair larger somehow :wink:.
2. Make his cape bigger... very awkward in my opinion.
3. Change the size of the eyes by making it abit larger.
4. Arms look ... ... ... wimpy ... maybe make it look more bulkier and stronger perhaps? :confused:

Of course, you do not have to do this if you can't or if you don't want to ... am just suggesting my own ideas at this time :thumbs_up:. GL!

Level 2
Daily update! 576 vertices, 570 faces.
-retextured Ike! Absolutely no cut/paste this time. I got off my butt, looked at some tutorials, got a copy of Fireworks and remade the texture. I think the fabric/hair/metal look great (for a first attempt), but the face might need improving.
-enlarged cape
-moved around some spikes in his hair (I still can't imitate Ike's hair: the best I can do is have a bunch of spikes pointing outward - any tips?)
-lengthened headband even more
-remade sword (so it has that curved part right before the tip)
-resized chest (less bulky-looking Ike)
-fixed the way the arm meets his T-shirt, giving the illusion that he has slightly larger biceps

What needs improving:
-possibly darkening the texture
-making his huge shoulder muscles smaller
-hairstyle
-eyes
-sharpened chin
-more defined skin for face
-a holey cape

Attachments

• ikepreview9.jpg
    ikepreview9.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 120
  • ikepreview10.jpg
    ikepreview10.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 148
  • ikepreview11.jpg
    ikepreview11.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 146
  • ike.jpg
    ike.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 117
I know you've said what you have to do, but i'll tell you ;)

I don't know if you want him to be manga-like, but the texture has to be enhanced. You should really shade the whole skin, and especially the face.

Oh, and the mesh looks weird in my opinion. you'll probably have to fix the UV wrapping, or fix the mesh (or both though)
The neck is very large and long. see if shorten it would be better.
There are many tutorials in the Hive that could help you to improve yourself.

Oh, and you use paint??? if you do, Download Gimp, it will be quite "overtooled" for you, but when you're used to it, you'll be able to do great thing.

Level 8
you must take the waist and lower and make it bigger or he looks like a muscle head

and you should alpha out the entire eye or delete the plane and skin the eye so it's easier and start shading the face because right now it's bad (alpha the cape for the holes and cuts too) but it's nice for a first time try

Status
Not open for further replies.