• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wintermaul Redux 1.08g

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Work together to stop the forces of Northrend from escaping! Original map by Duke Wintermaul.

This map was made for those who like Wintermaul but hate the fact that the only way to lose is to lag out. It has been remade from the bottom up.

All of the inefficient triggers and pathing, contributed by generations of (incompetant) map makers, have been redone to make gameplay smoother. In addition, the map has been made perfectly symmetrical and greatly simplified; before, Wintermaul maps tended to be very asymmetrical.

All of the "new" races have also been removed. Most of them were made with no vision and were terribly unbalanced. I retained Wind and Insect to have every possible variety of primary and secondary attack types possible. In addition, most of the races now have upgradable towers to improve game continuity.

Finally, all of the spawns have been rebalanced. Before, the balancing was haphazard at best. Now, spawn difficulty is mathmatically scaled. Also new is the level system. Every five levels cycles the armor of the spawns; typing now plays a much more important role than in past Wintermaul games.

On a side note, the number of spawns, doodads, and effects have also dramatically decreased (and with it, the lag). In fact, if your spell settings are set to Low, the only effects you will see are Bash, Poison, and Cold.

Although I am pleased with many of the adjustments I have made, the most distinguishing feature of this map is the collective bounty system. When one player kills a unit, all players receive gold. This eliminates the in-game bickering that ensues when one player feels that they are having their kills stolen.

By the way, do not worry if a player leaves; a leaver's bounty will be given at random to another player whenever a unit is killed.

Keywords:
wintermaul, redux, maul, duke, winter, maul, tower, defense, challenge
Contents

Wintermaul Redux 1.08g (Map)

Reviews
15:18, 11th Jul 2009 PurplePoot: Rejected until you can provide (and PM me) written permission from the original author that allowed you to edit this.
Level 4
I can host, I'm in the "reviewer"-group and I'm interested in this map...
I can't always be on, though.

I think 1.07 should be good to host. There were no splits in 1.06i.

EDIT: LOL. I messed up the Hypercane. It did its attack and spell damage to both air and ground units whereas it should be attack damage applies to ground and spell damage applies to air. 1.07b is out.

Last edited:
Level 2
@Gamecrafter_DK
I hosted it many times and always all players left... "Because this map is hard"... So how can I test it? In single?

@ap0calypse
On which server? If on Northrend, I can take part (again :wink:). I'm tired of %^&*#&@ leavers...

Level 4
@Relenor
Lol. People who want to play an easy tower defense should play regular Wintermaul. My map is difficult, but it is definitely beatable. In fact, I had to make 20-30 harder because it was too easy to mass ultimates at the end.

Level 28
I play at Northrend, yeah ^^
My Warcraft-name is ap0calypse_DaM, I will add you to my f-list (after deleting some inactive people -.-)

This map is indeed really hard, most people "don't get" that they can't kill anything (red, blue and teal, for example, can't kill the monsters).
So they think they are useless and that they won't get gold or something (like in normal Mauls).
But those people in front are actually important in this map.

Level 2
Hey guys - don't forget about me :wink: My name-in-game: I)arkstorm. I'll try to be online today about 20-21.
@Taishaku
You don't have to tell me this - I know this well... I said only this what people are saying during play. I like maps harder than normal, so for me it's ok.

Level 4
@ap0calypse
The front three are useful if they have splash. They can seriously injure the enemy while they're clumped up.

But I generally build with Orange when I am Red. My tester does the same. Big mazes with mass-AA tend to increase survival.

Level 4
On a sidenote, I have noticed a lot of people freak out when they see three spawns on the minimap preview. Anyone have any good ideas for making a logo of some sort?

New version's coming out. Some changes including giving Sparklers and and Cracklers Multishot and having the Bombadier Beetle use Impale instead of Acid Bomb. Also, Tech is getting an overhaul since Bombards and Railway Guns are virtually the same.

Level 4
OKAY! New version has been released. A lot of changes, especially to underplayed races. Technology also was given an overhaul (it was too powerful). Overall though, the map is easier to beat, since the damage of all non-splash towers has been increased in this version.

You also will note that I added a minimap preview. I did this so people would not freak out when they see 3 spawns.

Level 28
Even though it was already balanced, you managed to balance it even further :p
Good job, I think this really is worth a 4/5, but the minimap preview isn't really outstanding.

Use this (or something):
wmredux.jpg

It's just a little color burned gradient at the centre with bevelled/glowing text, but it looks better (in my opinion).
Well, it's a classic... I know, but so is wintermaul :)

Great job on this map, I think it's finished (or as good as finished), since you probably aren't going to add a lot of extra's (it's a classic wintermaul, not a highly advanced TD).

Level 4
@ap0calypse
I try to improve the map in my spare time. But yeah, this is close to the final version. I might need to rebalance Technology, but otherwise, everything seems good.

I definitely like your preview better than mine. I only placed a preview because my tester always tells me people freak out over 3 spawns.

EDIT: Okay, so I added my own icon.

WintermaulRedux.jpg

What do you think? This one is a bit blurry. It looks crisper in the map itself.

EDIT: NEW VERSION UP! A bunch of typos got fixed. Some of the Insects didn't get buffed. Also, I hear the game is too easy beyond level 15 because of the income increase, so did away with it. I also halved the cost of lives (did this before, but never reported it), and I made it so Duke Wintermaul isn't an instant-kill (only -15 lives).

EDIT: Third time's a charm! Lol. Apparently I forgot to buff the Icicle Tosser. Also, the ground spawns are too easy, so I doubled their difficulty armor bonus, and the air spawns are impossible, so I drastically reduced their hit points and movespeed. I also removed Wind's air splash, simply because it was crazy imbalanced; AoE spells also no longer affect air units; Gray cluster-killing does not work anymore. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Level 22
Edit: I has just read something about it. Gamesplits (desync) is caused by errors in triggers. If you made a change for 1 player and forgot to made the same for another, there may desync appear, on BN known as Gamesplit. It's only an example that was written. But it seems to be true.

Yeah up that's it

Memory leaks are a different thing, they dont server split, they crash the game! :(

~300 posts

Level 2
@Taishaku
Icon seems to be good.
The change of Duke is not good. Game should be as challenging as was at the beginning.
Btw - single player is really too easy now.

Level 4
@Relenor
Really now? People for the most part tell me it is acceptably hard now. Before, people had to resort to tricks like massing Webspinners and stunners.

Also, do you experience anymore server splits? My tester STILL gets them. I am dumbfounded at how this problem continues to persist despite so many changes to the spawning system.

Level 2
I was playing in single w/o any cheats with Wind as first choice. I had lost about 10 lifes at the beginning and after that I didn't lose any single life... OR Wind is mega OP or game is too easy now :wink:

Level 4
@Relenor
Hmmm... I wouldn't say so. As long as you survive the first level, you have a chance; 810 gold is nothing to scoff at. I would probably do it by using Crystal. Build one up front to kill a bunch, get enough gold to build another midway through at purple or orange, sell the ones that are useless, then rebuild at gray.

Level 2
@Taishaku
You may be right. But w/o playing with crystal it may be impossible. The only way to find it out is trying with all races. I think I'll do this now :wink:

Last edited: