• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows Vista Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
First off, please don't complain about Vista. I think it sucks too, but it's what I have now and can't really change that. Just answer this, please.

My World Editor crashes all the frickin' time since getting my new computer, a windows vista. I think I have the latest WC3 version, but I still can't go more than 2-3 minutes without it crashing. And it crashes when I try to access certain parts of the editor. Like, the Trigger Editor. And the Doodad Properties. :slp:

Does anybody know what's going on? Or, more importantly, how to fix it?

Last edited:
Level 15
ok I have vista and it works fine
so i going to try to help you

• Always have the disk in the drive when using we
  • try going to your war3 directory and righ clicking on we and setting it to compatibilty mode for Xp

Also do you have administrative privileges on your computer

(also i'm gong to tell spuer powerful stuff if this dosen't work so i want +rep and i AM NOT responsable if your computer blows up)

Level 8
I know you said not to complain about Vista......but I have to say this, at least.

My uncle Don read the Microsoft contract for Vista. Some pretty scary stuff in there, according to him. Basically, if you instal Windows Vista on your computer, Microsoft gets to dictate what software you can use.

My only advice is, switch to Windows XP.

Level 11
I know you said not to complain about Vista......but I have to say this, at least.

My uncle Don read the Microsoft contract for Vista. Some pretty scary stuff in there, according to him. Basically, if you instal Windows Vista on your computer, Microsoft gets to dictate what software you can use.

That's really sad.

Level 10

>.<

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll post my specs tomarrow... because, truth to be told, I don't know them, but my father does.

EDIT: Okay, so forget the specs, the 'set compatability' thing seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks, all!

Last edited:
Level 15

1. No company can tell you what progrmas to use
  2. Unless its illgeagl then they can deldeti it
  3. Xp is bascaly vista with more bells and wissels

Level 36
It is. It's got a shinier interface that can be obtained with XP using addons, and a truckload more bugs.

I bought Home Premium for my new system, but i'm going to return it and buy media center 2005 instead.

Right now, Vista isn't worth it, it may never be, a new version of Windows is already apparently in the works, and hopefully MS will get it right this time.

Even the guys in PC Magazine have stopped supporting it. They wrote anarticle about how they had lost faith in the hope that Vista will ever work properly in last months issue.

Level 36
Many things were promised over Vista's long and much-delayed development. None of them really turned out though.

Hell, if Vista worked properly, as good or better then XP in terms of stability and security, then I would absolutely buy it, no question. It's nice to have features and things, but it's also nice to have a solid operating system free of quirks.

Ah well, maybe Windows 2009 will be better...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Actually, vista is better than XP as far as next generation gamming goes. Only vista enables the full power of a DX10 card. Also many planned games will only work on vista. I am sure it will improve with SP1 since even XP was crap when it first came out and only recently is it running fine for me.

Level 36
Lies, it's been 9 months and things have gotten no better for Vista. Gaming on XP is still (and may always be) smoother then it is on Vista. The Dx10 cards have largely flopped, and the games have all been cheap up-conversions with many bugs.

The Vista video drivers alone are proof that they don't expect much from it.

The CEO of Valve denounced Microsoft for making DX10 Vista only, and when a major game company says something like that, your future is not very bright.

DX10 gaming hinges on Crysis. If that game fails, god knows what will happen.

Furthermore, gamers HATE the planned games. The live integration was a massive mistake, and no one likes it. Halo 2, the biggest game in console history, flopped when it came to Vista, and it doesn't look like "Windows Live Games" will do any better.

Level 21
The Dx10 cards have largely flopped, and the games have all been cheap up-conversions with many bugs.

DX10 gaming hinges on Crysis. If that game fails, god knows what will happen.

well kinda, dx10 is never going to go away and it is going to be the future, the thing is that most people dont have a dx10 card yet and ati havent even released a dx10 card. but it doesnt matter anyways because there arent really any dx10 games yet. even if crysis fails, eventually all games will be dx10 compatable because it is better, but like all things new and expensive it will take time before everyone can use it and equally long before it is used to its full potential. what im trying to say is, although so far it isnt a ray of light in the darkness, it is pretty much imposible for it to fail unless computers in general fail because most games in development after 2008 will be dx10 games. so unless u wanna stop gaming all together, get dx10. devs are gunna make next gen games on dx10 and if they dont then it will put gaming graphics back about 3 years, i.e. untill a new and more sensible rendering system is developed.

Level 36
ATI have released their Dx10 cards. The Hd2900, which flopped, was supposed to compete against the 8800GTX. The HD2600, which competes against the GTS (but is cheaper), which I own, is marginally more successful at what it does, but even still, not that great.

Now I hear talk that the next version of DX will be incompatible with these cards, so I'd wait for the next generation of videocards to come out anyway.

Level 21
they are making a new direct x version already!?!?!? and i didnt realise ati had released their cards yet, i havent seen them in the shops but i when the 8800 range were out they was straight on the shelves. i guess ati just isnt popular enough anymore.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
brad.dude03 , you are obviously against vista.

DX10 is not a flop, the next generation of cards will use the next version of it, DX10.1 and thoes cards will have enough power to make the PS3 look dated. The 9800 series (geforce 9) are planned to be twice as powerfull as the 8800 series which already outpowers your average consol like ps3 and Xbox 360 (the 360 uses a slightly better geforce 7 chip). The only reason game companies hate it is because no one has it currently and so it is pointless aiming to make a game that no one cau use, like supreme commanders sort of is since it requires more than what most have. The only reason Live is failing on vista is the Xbox consols already have it and since halo 2 has been out for ages, it was not meant to boom but be just added income. The next version of directX is unknown and definatly will support current cards since it makes no sense not to but might not support older cards like Geforce 7. They really need to just simplify vista so it does not waste ram for its fancy stupid stuff or have an option to turn it off so that less recources are used.

From what I have heard vista runs TES oblivion perfectly at ultra high speeds and that is just a DX9 game. No real game has been made solely for DX10 so you can not say it sucks, all games have some kind of DX9 support. And do not think XP is better, since it probably will not be able to use the geforce 9 9800 cards. And when comparing to the WII any computer beats it massivly that is reasonably modern and made for gamming (under 6 months with decent card / clock rate).

Even playstation 2 emulation works on vista and that was not made at all for it, although XP still runs it better due to their stupid recource use increase. It is like many things, even XP was slow to start with and unreliable but eventually it will probably take off. A SP will be release eventually and probably near christmass, just they have a lot to fix and I dought microsoft is stupid enough to not fix them.

Also "upgrading" to vista is a bad idea, especially if you comp is old since you really need a top of the range computer to run it for now.

Level 36
Har. Do you work in the Microsoft Propaganda department?

People, both ordinary, experts, people in the media, software-development employees, just about EVERYONE hates Vista.

And now, since i've tried it for myself (just installed it yesterday), I can say that I gladly join their ranks.

I installed Vista yesterday on my freshly built machine. I have good hardware, and I expected no problems (from a hardwrae point of view, I very well knew what was coming on the OS)

WELL. The one thing i'll credit to Vista is that their CD looks cool. All holographic and such. Oh, and that Vista installed quickly and without problem.

But then the world came crashing down:
1) My internet stopped working, and Vista would not allow me to configure my network
2) I recieved error messages when trying to install drivers and software for my motherboard
3) Vista did not recognize my brand-new videocard.
4) My sound did not work.
5) When my sound finally did start to work, it sounded like it was coming out of a tin can, a far cry from the 5.1 I recieve on XP.
6) Vista requires your permission to do ANYTHING. If you want to click on the start menu, "You clicked on the start menu, press okay to validate this action!" which results in a thousand popups every minute for Vista to do anything, and it complete interrupts the flow of work, which makes it even harder for anything to get done.
7) Pc Magazine says that games take a 25% performance hit when run on Vista as opposed to XP. 'Nuff said.

Through all this, I grew steadily more annoyed, as NOTHING seemed to work. Here lies this flashly looking OS, that's deeply broken inside.

So, I reinstalled XP. Everything works, I have internet, my sound and video both work, my motherboard drivers installed without a hitch, and everything is blazing fast. I'm going to make a second partition to reinstall Vista onto, but I still plan to use XP as my primary OS again.

I'm just one of tens of millions, but I too reject Vista.

Talk to you again in 2009, Microsoft.

Level 21
while i also dislike vista, it is true to say that xp, 98 and 95 all started as beind "worse" than their predecessors but eventually became the norm when the bugs and compatability issues were fixed. tbh the only way microsoft will repair its reputation is by bringing out an OS that works perfectly from the box, but that is unlikely as all things like this have problems. i personally dont think dx10 has been a flop and its superious graphics techonology will hopefully be availble at a lower price and use to its maximum potential in the coming year. not trying to sounds like a dx10 fanboy but it is better, its just gunna take time for it to be readily available to all.

Level 36
Which is why running two X1950's in Crossfire is STILL the best graphical experience you can have :grin:

And, I agree Dan, but I don't remember the launches of the previous OS's being THIS terrible. If Microsoft can fix the bugs, power to them, but till that happens, i'm not touching Vista, except perhaps for the odd DX10 game.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Never get a new OS before SP 1, XP was like that. In Q1 2008 SP 1 will come out and from the beta version all thoughs pop ups and data flow controlers will be removed, also it will reconize hardware better. The main reason games preform badly are your hardware's fault, not phisycsly but their developers currently have bad drivers for them, especiall for the 8000 series...

SP 1 will bring DX10.1 as well which is a better less buggy version of DX10 and with a Geforce 9 9800 card you will experience even more next gen graphics than on a PS3, with the hard built 4*AA and the extra acccuracy for the AA (more perfect).

The main flaw with vista is its memory hogging, you need atleast 2GB of fast ram to run it decently and for even newer titles, 4GB is recomended. Vista really gains a boost from quad cores I have also heard due to the fact that one core pretty much handles it all and can allow for room to run your games on.

I am aiming to get a new computer intime for SC2 and spore, which is Q2 2008 so by then I hope a lot of the problems will be fixed. Then I will say if it is crap or not.

Level 36
Well I DO remember installing XP back in 2001, and I managed to use it without any major problem. I sure as hell didn't have to sit through all of this BS with Vista. I reformat twice a year at least. Every time I go back to the original version 1 of XP. No updates, no nothing, just a brand new copy of Vista circa 2001. And it runs. All of my hardwrae is detected, everything works.

I can't say that for Vista.

Level 10
Actually, on the game performance issue, I can run Tiberium Wars on High graphic settings and it works very smoothly. Whereas on my last computer, I had to make everything Low and it was still rather jumpy.

And I believe you can turn off the permission pop-ups in the control panel... erm, somewhere...

Although it does seem Vista has gotten more errors and issues in it's first month than XP had in it's first year. Probably an overstatement, but it's what it feels like sometimes...

Level 36
I'm still not touching Vista until SP1 comes out, games still run better on XP. And since have no DX10 only games to buy, we don't have anything to buy Vista for. Games for Windows Live sucks. Halo2 PC sucks. Shadowrun... looked good, but I dunno how it turned out. Probably not very well since Games for Windows Live STILL sucks.

Level 10
Fuck!

It's happening again... on only one map, it looks like. Usually when I try to create a custom unit, it just freezes up and I have to restart it manually.

Compatability is still set to XP... any other options?

Oh yeah, when typing this out, it did it again when the editor was in the background. I didn't do anything, it just crashed again. Didn't even open the troublesome map.

I feel very shitty right now.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Hopefully SC2 will use DX10 as well as games like spore and any other major 2008 PC release. It is lightly that SC2 will give DX10 support since blizzard is not stupid but will definatly support DX9. As for spore, probably a post release patch or an expansion.

It is like any major new consol, few launch titals but it gradually builds up. By the end of 2009 there will probably be 150 DX10 games or more.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
OpenGl = support and usiability (mac (especially) and linux easily run it since they lack good DX support). It is easy to use and program.

DX = Speed and power, it is fast if used correctly and can do amazing things, only vista can run DX10 and DX is more like the game engine of every windows computer. With the comming Q1 2008, SP 1 patch for vista will contain an even better DX10.1 which will come out with it where it brings PS3 and XBOX360 standards into a hard built method for the Geforce 9 (9800), a card atleast twice as good as the geforce 8 (8800), allowing for truely next gen PC games.

Status
Not open for further replies.