• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why there will probably be no SC2 version of Gaias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Hello everyone. I know you now read the title of this thread and go all like "Omg, what the hell?!", but I can just tell you my reasoning for it and why I think it's not a good idea to revive Gaias for SC2 again and also my plans for SC2 modding.

I think there are way to many promising RPG projects for SC2 already being planned. Plus, I feel like creating a rpg has become WAY to easy in SC2, because of the mighty Data editor. All you need for creating a rpg is now merely a respawn trigger, an UI system (which has become ridicolously easy because of the powerful dialogs) and a save/load system.
I felt like all the skill required for creating a good rpg has gone since SC2. Forget the days of endless JASSing just because you need a custom inventory and stuff.

Second, teh.fellow is probably not going to support me anymore, as he has not enough time to deal with a mapping project. I experienced this during the last weeks of completing the 1.1 version of WC3 gaias and it was really annoying. I simply do not want to create this map alone. That's why I am probably going to join another project.

Third, I always hated that the lifespan of a rpg depends on the amount of work you put into, in a really weird scale. We put in almost HALF A YEAR of work to develope the newest version of Gaias and then people play this for like three days and already got the red equipment. This is frustrating and I do not want to have that anymore.

Fourth, I hate how my own fun playing rpgs totally vanishes by creating them. I NEVER did the third dungeon even ONCE. Actually, I never played gaias longer than one hour for testing purposes during the last half year. I once created this map to finally being able to play a good RPG, but when I did that, I realized that it wasn't fun to play your own RPG.
Heck, when I'm online at the battlenet, I play retarded Tower-Defences ... and have way more fun with them than with Gaias.

Fifth, I always felt like competetive games are WAY more funny than all rpgs could ever be. Remember DOTA, the alltime winner of all wc3 maps ever. The concept is easy: PVP, PVP, PVP ... this is the way to attract people. Crush your human opponents. I always wanted to create a high quality competetive map ...

Sixth, since I am modelling a lot for the last days, I realized that I LOVE modeling. I enjoy how you can actually GET something out of all your work. You can really SEE how you progress with your work. I would love to invest my time into modeling instead of excessive mapping in the future.

So now you are probably asking what I am going to do in Starcraft II?
Basicly, I want to create a promising competetive mixture of RTS and RPG, with a little bit of DOTA elements, together with some other guy.
All this will be mixed with a nice evil hellish theme ...

The map will be a mixture of Dungeon-Keeper and the old Warcraft III principle, combined with a save/load system.
You will be able to create or load a hero and gather equipment for him, while you are controlling and building up your personal underworld dungeon. Then of course, you must crush puny humans that dare to steal your precious treasures with your evil creatures and your hero. Furthermore, opposing dungeon lords will also be in the underground caverns that need to be crushed. As the creatures you have in your dungeon are not marionettes without their own will, you will have to take control of your hero and lead them into war. The game will contain a ingame-lobby, which allows to select multiple game types, like Co-op defence vs. invading Heroes only, 1v1, 2v2, Reach-the-room, etc. ... In each game type, loading your hero will have different effects. For example, in pvp styled games the heroes will all start at level 1, leveling up much faster than in co-op defence mode, etc.
Maybe we will also create a random map generator, but that depends on how well that works out.

I think this game is going to be very fun when its done. And I simply love the nice evil underworld styled theme. It's very unique if you ask me. And of course, Dungeon Keeper was a great game.

Level 4
Dungeon Keeper was a great game.

Although it's old it still is;). Although I would love to see a SC2 version of gaias I can understand your decision. So i'm wishing you GL with your new project and hope you'll make a great game out of it.

PS: you will post some teasers here or somewhere else right:p? Would love to see how it progresses.

Level 1
Sadnessssss. Can we expect Zwiebel to join another RPG project in the near future, for SC2? Yours is the first RPG I've genuinely enjoyed in a long while.

Level 3
Do you think someone will carry on with your work if you decide to officially quit working on Gaia?

I'm looking forward to your future projects.

The hellish theme is to generic~! :eek:

Level 2
Sadness... And thus ends the best rpg war3 has ever seen :/ GL with your new projects tho. Hope some 1 with atleast half your skill takes over Gaias :3

Level 3
Hey, well.. Wc3 has been out for 8 years. Sc2 isnt even released. You never know when the mood hits you to create an RPG. A Dungeon Keeper map sounds neet! Go for it.

Level 3
He is just re-iterating your post in saying that it is the "truth" and he supports what you say and wishes for the same thing to happen.

Level 2
Hey, I can understand you.

The galaxy editor hasnt really brought the improvement I hoped it would.

Scripting in Jass had it's limits, but still was fun and somehow I liked all those workarounds, as everyone of them made your map something really different.

Hopefully, the final editor will be somewhat better.

Oh and your right: Nothing beats competative gameplay. I got a lot of Ideas for PvP Style games in RPG-like environments, but will propably never have the time finish them.

Level 5
Second, teh.fellow is probably not going to support me anymore, as he has not enough time to deal with a mapping project. I experienced this during the last weeks of completing the 1.1 version of WC3 gaias and it was really annoying. I simply do not want to create this map alone. That's why I am probably going to join another project.

Ye i understand your decision, and it's right now i have not enough time for a mapping project.

But man i hope we will find some time togethere for a project in the future.

Atleast i would say we are a pretty good team :wink:.

Level 4
The thing your going to try to make in sc2 sounds pretty cool but will others continue to work on gaias?

If you think about it, right now its the biggest played RPG map in battle.net for the past couple months..would be a total waste to just completely throw it away and is only reason im actually playing warcraft 3.

hopefully muzzel will continue and recruit some mappers possible

Level 2
What I hate about map-makers is the fact that they always reach a give-up point. The hell is the point of map-making in the first place? isnt it just to let people enjoy your hard work? fk it if it means half a year, an entire year, two years, whatever. So what if some people only touch the game for 3 days?? dont you ever realise that there are so much more people out there who are willing to play YOUR creations so much so that every day people actually bother finding out 'whats new?'.

So youre just going to map make an SC2 game cause its easy to make? you may think that your new idea of an rpg is so cool but in fact, it isnt. In SC2 it gets so easy to map make that your idea becomes so miniature as compared to WC3 where actual skill is required in map making. Such RPGs and crap are only popular among people as THESE PEOPLE CANT DO THINGS YOU DO! so stop all these push-the-red-button-cause-these-few-people-dont-appreciate-it attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.