• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why is this under Modding & Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Over half of the threads here are on the game itself. Hell, only 1/3 of the subboard description is about the workshop tools.

I'm also curious as to why noone seems to be wanting to mod this. I've only recently gotten into it but it seems nice, despite the kinda small map size and the lack of aesthetic doodads

Level 3
That is mostly because the Dota "modding" (I don't like that term) community is the laziest one that I've ever seen in all my modding cycles and right now there seems to be only one organized group that is putting a lot of effort into making custom games. 95%+ of the community sees this as modding, they're making their generic WC3 clones and don't see that you could make a whole own game with it that distinguishes itself from Dota greatly (to a point where looking at gameplay footage on a VOD wouldn't give away the game as part of Dota).

The map size will be increased. Right now, the problem does not lie in the map size cap but the Fog of War that breaks on every map that goes beyond 16.5k (the Dota default map). It does work in Source 1 Dota 2 but not Source 2. It should be fixed next month.

The lack of aesthetic doodads is true because Valve never needed more for Dota 2. That is why groups have already made a lot of custom assets.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Well when the tools came out the feedback was that you could hardly make anything different from moba. With small map sizes, I lost all interest right there.

Anyhow, they say they'll be releasing an update for the engine in the coming months and that that'll make it easier to make new game modes, hopefully it'll affect modding as well.

Level 3
Development is slow specially for new tools, with not many examples & tutorials on how to do things at the moment, but it's improving.

The Alpha announcement created hype but then most projects have either been released in a basic state then abandoned, or just never finished.

Lack of proper lobbies & the current connection issues are also a turnoff for getting more people interested.

I expect big improvements to the tools & development next year when the Alpha status goes away and some issues are resolved, but I still think starting something now it's super doable.

Well when the tools came out the feedback was that you could hardly make anything different from moba.

This is not entirely true, classic genres like TD, RPG & Mini-games have already been developed or are on the making. It just takes some time to learn the tools and figure the workarounds.

Level 12
That is mostly because the Dota "modding" (I don't like that term) community is the laziest one that I've ever seen in all my modding cycles

I wouldn't call them lazy in general. It's just all they can do in a reasonable manner.
Let's compare it to wc3. There, especially the beginning was easy, and that means a lot. WE was setting new standards in terms of available assets and also capabilities. Ten thousands of people opened World Editor, playing around and starting it as a kind of hobby, making low quality maps. Due to having fast first achievements many put more effort into it or created websites for exchange with a mass of users, leading to more buzz.
Of course there are limits in the engine and in new asset creation, as even when having many people on it, only a low percentage will succeed in making high quality assets.

As explained somewhere else, DotA 2 currently suffers from the same problem as sc2. For many reasons it's beginner unfriendly. If the masses of ordinary people passionately playing it don't learn and grow with it and create increasingly better content, who will? How many people who already are professionals will pick up DotA 2 modding? Not many. As they most often have the choice of either doing their thing in DotA 2, or doing it elsewhere as their job, earning money. In the last ~20 years we have seen it over and over again that great modding grows out of the people involved with the game being noobs at start but having spare time at their hands.

Unless you can earn a huge pile of money for DotA 2 maps, that won't change.

Over all this hovers the unbearable slow development speed of Valve though. Let's hope for cool (not too slow) updates.

Level 8
I wouldn't call them lazy in general. It's just all they can do in a reasonable manner.
Let's compare it to wc3. There, especially the beginning was easy, and that means a lot. WE was setting new standards in terms of available assets and also capabilities. Ten thousands of people opened World Editor, playing around and starting it as a kind of hobby, making low quality maps. Due to having fast first achievements many put more effort into it or created websites for exchange with a mass of users, leading to more buzz.
Of course there are limits in the engine and in new asset creation, as even when having many people on it, only a low percentage will succeed in making high quality assets.

As explained somewhere else, DotA 2 currently suffers from the same problem as sc2. For many reasons it's beginner unfriendly. If the masses of ordinary people passionately playing it don't learn and grow with it and create increasingly better content, who will? How many people who already are professionals will pick up DotA 2 modding? Not many. As they most often have the choice of either doing their thing in DotA 2, or doing it elsewhere as their job, earning money. In the last ~20 years we have seen it over and over again that great modding grows out of the people involved with the game being noobs at start but having spare time at their hands.

Unless you can earn a huge pile of money for DotA 2 maps, that won't change.

Over all this hovers the unbearable slow development speed of Valve though. Let's hope for cool (not too slow) updates.

You spoke many truths. I not know programming, but consider me I did legal maps in Warcraft. And it was a long time as passes time, the coolest, it is you do something that is fun (in my opinion) and to make other up (can) fun (I think World Editor insperou me to be a game developer in the future, I know much more work that WE, but is something that can me fun and others, I'm happy that existed the World Editor and I met...

And yes, the DotA 2 Editor has up more difficult to create simple maps and fun of than of Starcraft 2.

But they said they'll simplify (can be to facilitate). :)

http://blog.dota2.com/2014/12/future-changes-frostivus/

Status
Not open for further replies.