• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Why is my GE suddenly turtle slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I am fully patched. I started my work on a map in the Galaxy Editor. I save, close, and come back to it later. I open it up and try to adjust some cliffs. It acts as if I have 40 programs open. When I stop trying to make cliffs it runs totally fine. Has anyone else experience this problem? I tried editing cliffs in a blank new map and it worked fine. +rep for any insight.

Edit: In trying to fix the problem I have restarted my computer, checked for any patches, deleated doodads that weren't displaying in the GE correctly (ie they were in that "error" ball, but ran fine in actual game), and deleted the water. It is so slow its pretty much unusable. Doing anything without freaking out the editor and drastically changing areas I didn't want any cliff changes too make me want to go back to WC3.

Level 11
I do but they are not located near the cliffs. Is merely having them on my map a potential source of this problem?

Edit: Apparently so. Deleted the roads and now everything is as quick as it should be. Weird/annoying problem. Thanks.

Level 9
Yes I have the same problem as well, it seems to do this whenever I mess with my cliffs around a certain distance near a road, I don't know what the problem could be.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Or you could try going to view and turning off road display if such an option is possible (but that still could result in processor load due to changing elements).

You may also wish to kill the road data if you do not wish to lose already placed roads so that the data no longer supports variations etc which cause the performance problems.

Level 11
Well I decided just to scrap the roads. But its weird because I do have a high end computer. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 3.00GHz, 4 gigs of ram, plenty of storage, dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 graphics.

Its not the best but I can't imagine what my computer is trying to process when changing some simple cliff tiles. But oh well its fine IDC I guess. Roads diddnt look great anyways.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The editor can not lag or should not lag because there is no latency involved. Poor performance is possible and it might hang from time to time for another reason.

For example loading a model from a badly fragmented old hard disk could cause a brief lockup. If the hard disk went to sleep it might also exibit the same behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.