• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Why hello there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello!
Before you ask: Why yes I did register a year(s) ago. However, the complexity of this game (and the shear amount of time it takes to put things together) threw me for a loop and tossed me to YouTube as a viewer of many videos. Eventually, I watched ProtonJonSA and AzureBlade49's videos, and was led to SMWC where I got into an editor for an old game. (I also saw IOSYS videos, and began my curiosity-quest to learn about Touhou).

I managed to produce something that I thought I liked until I changed too much of it and it got worse. Then, my mother moved back into the picture, and moved ME to a place with no internet for a few months. Without much of anything to do, I quickly went into Internet withdrawals.

After Dad got his taxes in, I got a WiFi adapter that lets me leech off of the neighbors, and have half the internet I had before. It's strong at times, and not there after thunderstorms due to them having a Satellite style connection.

Finally, after a few more months, I remembered this site (and wc3c(dot)net), and decided to see what's up. Apparently, I missed a ****load of awesome models and icons, as well as a ****load of pretty much look-a-like style maps? :confused:

Anyhoo, I need to warm up if I want to test any custom maps (mine or others) without losing from stupidity. I don't have anyone nearby who is willing to play, and the connection here isn't reliable enough for Bnet. Any recommendations? Because these are what I see so far:
  • Aeon of Strife (AOS, what, did you think I didn't know what that means?) - aka, the "push" map. Very boring, and very linear. I don't even want to discuss these with you.
  • Hero Arena - The arena of the heroes. From what I remember, each hero should have their own unique abilities, with the Healer being practically useless in Free-For-All modes.
  • RPG - aka totallynotarocketpropelledgrenadewhatareyoutalkingabout. Done right, these can be pretty darn interesting. Guess what, most of them (no offense) seem to be done in a hurry, or are left unfinished. It seems this is the biggest (and most difficult) type to tacklebox. Remember kids, your hero doesn't HAVE to level up to be a hero.
  • BOSS BATTLE - aka "I programmed a boss, but didn't want to put it at the end of a level." OR "I finally figured out the Object Editor! Let's make a map about giant guys who are impossible to harm and kill everyone in one hit."
  • Platformer/Shooter - aka "the palette cleanser". After grinding through 50 levels in an RPG or spending 2-5 hours building a kingdom for no reason, it can be pretty nice to try something new and different. I lumped these two together because finding ones that are goood AND finished seems to be a little difficult.
  • Escape Maps - aka "Seriously why the hell is the floor literally lava? Guys? Are you there? Hello? Where did you- AAAAAAAAAh!" *sizzle* Seriously man...
  • Puzzle/Party/Misc. - aka "Wow, that's a neat idea! Why didn't I think of that?"

Sorry if I offe- HAHAHAHA! Just kidding.

Also, I was thinking on getting back to the World Editor. Are there any tutorials that can bring me up to speed? Am I still going to have to build most (99.999998%) of the terrain and Object Editor stuffs before getting programming/graphical help (for some reason I can pixel together sprite graphics for a 20 year-old game, but making a decent icon is beyond me)? Any advice for a guy in a perpetual state of n00biness, who doesn't come close to finishing a project (ok, there was that one time...)?

inb4 cool story bro

Last edited:
Level 10
Welcome (back?) sunwarrior25.

Honestly, try a Tower Defense for gameplay - its generally unique, should have many abilities, and you can play alone. On Bnet, there are many hosting bots for TD; my favorite is Gem Tower Defense, perhaps try that?

Remember, if you're going to start a big project, you can have others help you with it here, and recruit members.

Also, there are search options for nearly all resources. Just type what you'd like, and see if they exist. However, these few you'll likely have to do yourself:

A good GUI-MUI tutorial.

A good terraining tutorial.

A good JASS tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.