• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Where can I find this model? (a glossy/shiny effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a model I've seen somewhere, perhaps in the ultimate terraining map I think it's called, but I couldn't find it in its database either.
The model is basically a texture applied on a single plane I think. It has no animations. The whole texture is transparent, except for some places here and there which are white, giving the impression of a glossy effect.
It looks something like this:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
It's the best example I could find of such a texture applied over something (but, again, what I'm looking for isn't the texture itself, it's a model)
Ayone knows where I can find this or what this effect is called so I can at least google it and find one to make my own?
Thanks

Level 14
  • Environment\Sky\Sky\skyLight.mdx contains a series of simple planes representing light rays. Each one is textured with Environment\Sky\Sky\Streaks.blp which seems similar to the picture you linked.
  • SharedModels\NEBirth.MDX contains a plane that has the quality you describe. It's very evident in the Unanimated stance and is textured with SharedModels\grad2d.tga
  • Closely related to the previous one, there is also SharedModels\grad2b.tga
  • The light rays found among the weather effects aren't encoded in models but inside .slk files which trigger some particle system i don't know about. (see: Weather effects)
    There are textures for those however, the most relevant seeming to be ReplaceableTextures\Weather\RaysOfLight.blp
(N.B.: all these long pathways in bold are found inside of War3.MPQ in a usual warcraft 3 installation. A very handy tool to browse the models and textures inside is Magos model editor.
Most notably to your case, it is possible to open a texture from a .MPQ and it will be automatically attached to a rectangular plane by the program. You also have the possibility of saving the whole textured rectangle as a model (and also, alternatively, the possibility of exporting the texture per se in a .blp file)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.