1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Where can I find this model? (a glossy/shiny effect)

Discussion in 'Requests' started by daverave1212, May 8, 2017.

1. daverave1212

daverave1212

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm looking for a model I've seen somewhere, perhaps in the ultimate terraining map I think it's called, but I couldn't find it in its database either.
    The model is basically a texture applied on a single plane I think. It has no animations. The whole texture is transparent, except for some places here and there which are white, giving the impression of a glossy effect.
    It looks something like this:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    It's the best example I could find of such a texture applied over something (but, again, what I'm looking for isn't the texture itself, it's a model)
    Ayone knows where I can find this or what this effect is called so I can at least google it and find one to make my own?
    Thanks

2. ILH

ILH

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks like a lighting model
    Is this what you're looking for?
    Glowing Light

3. daverave1212

daverave1212

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    no, unfortunately. It was purely white, didn't emit light. It was like a normalmap for a texture.

4. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    • Environment\Sky\Sky\skyLight.mdx contains a series of simple planes representing light rays. Each one is textured with Environment\Sky\Sky\Streaks.blp which seems similar to the picture you linked.
    • SharedModels\NEBirth.MDX contains a plane that has the quality you describe. It's very evident in the Unanimated stance and is textured with SharedModels\grad2d.tga
    • Closely related to the previous one, there is also SharedModels\grad2b.tga
    • The light rays found among the weather effects aren't encoded in models but inside .slk files which trigger some particle system i don't know about. (see: Weather effects)
      There are textures for those however, the most relevant seeming to be ReplaceableTextures\Weather\RaysOfLight.blp
    (N.B.: all these long pathways in bold are found inside of War3.MPQ in a usual warcraft 3 installation. A very handy tool to browse the models and textures inside is Magos model editor.
    Most notably to your case, it is possible to open a texture from a .MPQ and it will be automatically attached to a rectangular plane by the program. You also have the possibility of saving the whole textured rectangle as a model (and also, alternatively, the possibility of exporting the texture per se in a .blp file)

Last edited: May 13, 2017