• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

When using Save/Load, what if you update map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So I decided to implement this save/load system into my map:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/codegen-1-0-1-a-177395/

But I have a question. What happens to people's save/load information if I release version 1.0 of my map, but then make several changes, and release version 2.0?

So for example, a player saves their hero with ability "Titan's Wrath" in MyMapv1.0. I edit the ability's damage, name, and cool down time, then release MyMapv2.0. What happens to the hero's ability that was saved in v1.0, but is loaded in v2.0?

Level 12
It will use the last object editor settings of ability.Save load systems don't save ability itself, they just save its ID, you can see this number by holding ctrl + D at object editor.

Level 8
So the changes to the ability will carry over as long as the ability's ID is the same??????

Is there ever a possibility with anything not carrying over when releasing a new version and loading a hero from a previous version??

Last edited:
Level 8
Is there ever a possibility with anything not carrying over when releasing a new version and loading a hero from a previous version??

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There can be a problem if you add new content to the save/load system. This can result in structure changes which render codes incompatible. If you use a file based save/load system you can throw in a version identifier that you increment every time changes to save system are made. You then keep a loader for each version of save in the map but only keep a saver for the latest version.

Such migration processes should be designed for when implementing save functionality. It is common that as maps expand new parameters may require saving while old ones can be scrapped or have their meaning change.

Status
Not open for further replies.