• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What would be the result if I installed different drivers for my graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
So I have been having severe issues with performance on DA 2 so I googled to see if there was any fix for this.It turned out to be a problem with he game and Nvidia graphics cards.One of the ways that supposedly to download the GTX 550ti's drivers.The problem is i don't have the GTX 550ti.What would be the result if I installed it?

Level 27
It depends if you have an onboard it will probably say that it cannot find the hardware. But if you have an nvidia card similar to a 550ti i might actually work but maybe it would perform poorly and weird, or it might just show a black screen at some point.

Anyway, since you don't have a 550ti i really doubt installing drivers for something you don't have will improve the performance of anything.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
NVidia drivers are generally generic. They support a range of cards. One may find the Windows 10 Driver for the 760 is the same as the driver for the 960 etc.

As long as the driver supports the hardware it will work. If it does not then results can be anything from bad performance, instability, not working to BSoDs.

Level 15
NVidia drivers are generally generic. They support a range of cards. One may find the Windows 10 Driver for the 760 is the same as the driver for the 960 etc.

As long as the driver supports the hardware it will work. If it does not then results can be anything from bad performance, instability, not working to BSoDs.

Trust me, NV messed up drivers on more than one occasion. There were cases where voltage control goes haywire, which in some cases fried the cards outright, then there was the one that disabled the cooler and recently there was the one that gimped Kepler cards.

So while in general their drivers are stable and work properly, they can mess up badly from time to time.

Level 15
Yeah, Nvidia does not have a perfect history when it comes to drivers. On the other hand, AMD drivers, in my experience, have been great. You're bound to find someone that will say AMD drivers are great, others that will say they're horrible, and some that say Nvidia's drivers are perfect. (Note: My current card is a GTX 970, previous card was an AMD HD 6950)

The state of Nvidia's drivers shortly following the W10 launch was pretty bad across the board. I wasn't affected, fortunately.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The state of Nvidia's drivers shortly following the W10 launch was pretty bad across the board. I wasn't affected, fortunately.
The upgrade process was terrible. What needed to happen was the old driver uninstalled during Windows 10 upgrading and then the new driver installed before initial startup. The problem was it kept the old Windows 7 driver which messed up a lot of things. After re-installing the drivers clean stuff worked better.

Status
Not open for further replies.