• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What would an interview with Deathwing be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I just discovered this cool and fun interview with Smaug. It was done by American TV host Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report, in December 2014.

Now, what would Deathwing have said, had he been interviewed?
And in which TV show?
And by whom?

(and who would have survived it, too...)

Alternate, official link for the interview (not working for me):
Smaug-The Colbert Report - Video Clip | Comedy Central

** update **

Link leading to a working, better video with subtitles:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/12/smaug-colbert-report_n_6315746.html

...and here is a raw transcript of the interview:
http://www.cc.com/feeds/transcripts/video/44461362-2dbf-416f-8ab1-4fc95f6a6cf9
Will you get all the many jokes and references in it?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Rather boring I guess. How weak he is compared to real life leaders who can destroy the world at the touch of a button combined with the lack of magic in this world to sustain him would likely result in a lot of yawning. It may even end in tragedy as people rush to perform CPR on Death Wing who cannot exist in a world without magic and with real physics. On the other hand if he ate the presenter before he dies I guess it would be all worth it.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You''ll be eaten before you even get started.
Not if he needs something to be widely known. You will be eaten afterwards. :xxd:

Deathwing's personality
"In spite of his insanity, Deathwing does display a degree of cunning. Although he hates mortals, he is apparently willing to tolerate them if it can prove of any help in his plans, though inevitably he will do away with them when they have outlived their usefulness."

Rather boring I guess. How weak he is compared to real life leaders who can destroy the world at the touch of a button combined with the lack of magic in this world to sustain him would likely result in a lot of yawning.

A boring character with an uninteresting backstory: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Deathwing
Being weak or not, has nothing to do with the fact an interview may prove interesting or not.

For the lolz, about Deathwing and non-canon events, starring a powerful hero (please jump at 16:30)

It may even end in tragedy as people rush to perform CPR on Death Wing who cannot exist in a world without magic and with real physics.

Interview could also be from a long time ago, and be set in the Warcraft Universe. After all, we already have a Rocking Arthas concert in Warcraft 3. So why not?

Also, why could we not make up our own funny behind-the-scenes interview too, set irl? In it, the "real" Deathwing could pester at will about this CGI sequence not being part of the PC version of WC2: BDP. Or maybe he could have his say as to why this pic (of him?, down-right) is never displayed ingame afaik.
No surprise he went crazier and crazier, I say. :xxd:

On the other hand if he ate the presenter before he dies I guess it would be all worth it.
I am wondering who you may have in mind

Attachments

• 268134-warcraft-ii-tides-of-darkness-dos-back-cover.jpg
    268134-warcraft-ii-tides-of-darkness-dos-back-cover.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I have no doubt about it. I would simply say it would be a different kind of fictional interview, for the two characters have very different personalities and life experiences.

Now, the whole point of this thread (and of my questions both in OP and thread title), is to hopefully inspire some of our writers here.

The Smaug TV show interview made me think of another famous dragon (from the WCU), to be also interviewed in some way. But it could apply to anyone/anything in the Blizzard Universe, including Orc #956 (you can see him ridiculously falling to the ground, right before WC3's opening big battle FMV).

As an exercise in writing, it allows to:
- learn how to write a character, as well as lively dialogs
- understand how pro journalistic interviews work (by reading / listening to real ones)
- eventually master how to seamlessly integrate fictional/real elements in it.

...all for an entertaining and an instructive read.

Because of the Smaug interview, one could first decide whether or not Deathwing is a rl dragon actor, aspiring to play the part of a fictional creature known as Deathwing, or not. Should we have to remain somewhat coherent with such a crazy premise, we may then infer that so far, only his likenesses were used by Blizzard in their video games and illustrations until now.

But whatever one decides about him, Deathwing's motives regarding an interview also have to be defined, be him "real" or not. Who would ask first for an interview? Why would he decide to ultimately do it? What is his goal with it?

To define the character, his motives, the message he wants to deliver, how the interview is conducted, and ultimately the overall feelings towards him afterwards, I personally have in mind rl interviews of sadly famous individuals such as this one and the likes. But this is just my own personal point of view.

Strong, out-of-bounds personalities can lead to so many possibilities.
I believe there are many things to explore here for the aspiring storyteller, all for fun and entertainment.

And lastly, do not forget: interviews can also take very unexpected turns now and then (for whatever reasons).

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yep, you'd get eaten or burn before you'd make an interview, (unless of course, if the interviewer has some Demon Soul to give XD)

*Or* (among a few possibilities):
- he needs to deliver a message to the world (this is what interviews are for in rl, btw)
- the interviewer is Medivh (or at least some equivalent)
"Despite Deathwing's overall loathing of mortals, he has respect for, and perhaps even a fear of, Medivh, stating in Day of the Dragon, that he would never willingly face Medivh in combat, though this might have technically been fear of the portion of Sargeras that was locked inside Medivh."

Please have a look at rl interviews of sadly famous rl individuals (see link in a previous post for one of them), for possible reference.

Plus, I point out the Deathwing character has not been *that* extreme in the past.

Lastly, I can not resist posting this, just to make you all ponder and wonder:

Level 24
Well, if we are to make Deathwing into his human guise, Daval Prestor, that would make him less threatening, plus Medivh as the interviewer, I think they'll have a "lovely" conversation.

Heck, I would like to see Deathwing's personal feelings when he got defeated by Thrall and that what will he supposed to say XD

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Well, if we are to make Deathwing into his human guise, Daval Prestor, that would make him less threatening,

That is the idea. What his words mean and also *imply* would make him threatening.

plus Medivh as the interviewer

There is also this guy who could safely interview him. He masters the Arcane Arts of Retcon, which is also tied to the Dark Forces of Marketing. No creature can withstand such tremendous power. Even Magic is no match against Sales Reports. :grin:

Heck, I would like to see Deathwing's personal feelings when he got defeated by Thrall and that what will he supposed to say XD
"That green coward caught me by surprise when I was just about to make my move"?

Last edited:
Level 36
Deathwing would be pretty much like Smaug in an interview, wouldn't he?

as pyf said: They are very different.

Smaug is a pious and arrogant creature with a craving for conversation and to assert everyone's understanding of how immensely badass he is.
He thinks of himself as a god, or better than a god, the very incarnation of narcissism is he, and on top of this he is very clever. He's a very
interesting character.

Deathwing, on the other hand, while technically being far more superior, he's also not the same kind of narcissist as Smaug, he's just insane.
He wants to see the world burn, and he wants to be the one who lights the flames, he doesn't care for witty conversation with petty mortals
and would, as Warseeker said, eat or destroy the interviewer before the interview started. (Together with the studio, city and everything
surrounding the area as well).

Bottom line: Smaug makes sense in an interview, Deathwing doesn't.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
as pyf said: They are very different.

Being both narcissistic creatures, they have similarities. But they are driven by very different motives.

Smaug is a pious and arrogant creature with a craving for conversation [...]
on top of this he is very clever. He's a very interesting character.

Because of that, he can also be quite an entertainer if he wants too. His interview is very much in-character.

Deathwing [...][is] not the same kind of narcissist as Smaug, he's just insane.[...]
he doesn't care for witty conversation with petty mortals and would, as Warseeker said, eat or destroy the interviewer before the interview started.

Bottom line: Smaug makes sense in an interview, Deathwing doesn't.

Again, first quote.
Deathwing would have to threateningly demand an interview to get one, and he would do it for free. He would also be a somewhat rude guest who tries to take over.
Smaug would have to be politely asked if he wishes to be interviewed, and he would demand his weight in gold in exchange. He would also be a conformant and witty guest.

I doubt Deathwing is such a stereotypical one-dimensional character. No believable one could possibly make plans 24/7 to destroy the world/universe. Even those insane, and even in high-fantasy settings, unless the character is very poorly written. Again, please read the character's backstory.

Same goes in real-life too, btw.

Sundays are Deathwing's day off, when he may (try to) relax. The Shattering sure can wait until tomorrow (early morning) :xxd:

deathwing2-jpg.244471

Attachments

• Deathwing2.jpg
    Deathwing2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 233
Level 36
Again, please read the character's backstory.

I have, and I've played through nearly the entirety of Cataclysm.

I'm not writing off Deathwing as a one-dimensional character at all, I'm just saying that his interests are probably
not in doing interviews with humans. That said, as Deathwing he is probably much more one-dimensional than you'd
think. He probably, likely, wasn't as much such before the war of the ancients when the Nathrezim fucked his mind
over and turned him on his own kind, when he changed from being Neltharion the Earth-Warder and became Deathwing
the Destroyer.

But yeah, there's no need to insult my intelligence merely because I offer an opinion.

This is a discussion, after all.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I've played through nearly the entirety of Cataclysm.

I did not. I know the character from WCII, and from what I have read about him.

I'm not writing off Deathwing as a one-dimensional character at all, I'm just saying that his interests are probably not in doing interviews with humans.

in Cataclysm, the character seems to be used by Blizzard as a basic antagonist (bad evil powerful creature who wants to destroy the whole world for whatever personal motives, all because he has gone definitively... insane?). Looks like cheap characterization to me, since the extension only needed a 300% evil main antagonist. And yes, I know it is because he keeps hearing voices inside his head (they all say that)...

I personally believe the Deathwing character has much more to offer. Even in (perceived) madness there is at least a logical pattern and personal motivation.

That said, as Deathwing he is probably much more one-dimensional than you'd
think. He probably, likely, wasn't as much such before the war of the ancients when the Nathrezim fucked his mind over and turned him on his own kind, when he changed from being Neltharion the Earth-Warder and became Deathwing the Destroyer.

We both agree. This is why I also wrote in a previous post that the interview can have been done in the past. We are not tied to any kind of chronology, for a made-up interview of a fictional character, are we?

This is why I also inferred, as a fun "elseworlds" twist, there could be no Deathwing at all, but a rl dragon actor playing the part of a fictional creature named Deathwing for Blizzard Entertainment's WC franchise. Because why not? For possibly twisted references and influences here, please see the first Miracleman comic books by Alan Moore The Original Writer.

But if we have to remain in Azeroth, yeah, he is a bad creature which turned very very worse. Far worse than Arthas.

But yeah, there's no need to insult my intelligence merely because I offer an opinion.
This is a discussion, after all.
:razz:
rechecking word by word what I wrote earlier...
(still searching, for I am a slow reader)
In case the words "even those insane" have been misinterpreted, I point out the whole paragraph refers to the Deathwing character. Sorry for the eventual poor phrasing, I am a Frenchman still struggling with English sometimes. Well ok, most of the time. :wink:

If I still missed the culprit in my text, please let me know.

It is indeed a discussion on an exercise in characterization, style and storytelling. I offer points of view too, and try to substantiate them the best I can.

No doubt about your intelligence. You already figured out what I meant with:
- the Hook video
- the sadly famous individual (of which you already saw the rl interviews)
- the whole Retcon / Marketing / Sales Report joke.

They are all part of my personal views on the Deathwing character, and what became of him.

Seeing how Deathwing's personality was created by humans...
100% true. And this is very obviously unavoidable.

I personally do not consider the Deathwing character solely as a dragon confined to the Warcraft Universe. This is also what the Smaug interview is all about (with all the references to rl: GoT, Cumberbatch, the Hobbit movie...).

Characters, as well as stories featuring them, are expressions of the human mind. They are some kind of embodiment of their creator(s) deepest thoughts and feelings. Such creators may be conscious of such creative mechanisms or not. Characters, as metaphors, also symbolically represent something human beings can relate / refer to irl, one way or another.

This is why the story of an extra-terrestrial, with an extra-terrestrial body, which has extra-terrestrial thoughts, leading its extra-terrestrial life with extra-terrestrial motivations in an extra-terrestrial world, could not be considered interesting by human beings. All because human beings are a self-centered species. Who would care for a bacteria, too?

We want/need characters we can understand, and who tell us something about ourselves as well as our own world.

Characters we can relate to also have to serve a purpose within a story, or a story-arc. If a character is used beyond its theoretical boundaries, it generally become meaningless / out of place, and may lose what made him first appealing / interesting to the reader / viewer. Characters have to be tied to our past, present or future world, to have some kind of lasting value.

Characters may lose their original significance with:
- soap operas (endless plots and sub-plots dragging characters along)
- increasing the character's prominence, leading to less and less believability.
- endless rebooting of a character's origins (any kind of identity/symbolism/metaphor/interest is lost in the process, and the character becomes an empty shell with a name on it).

All characters are the expression of the human imagination. And imagination requires rl observation first.

@ all, please take this thread easy, and explore the possibilities of fake interviews as another kind of narrative technique, which has not been used that often (if at all) here on THW.

Last edited:
Level 24
Hmm, how about this,

*Blizzcon Building, Hollywood*

Mike Morhaim: Hello and welcome everyone to, the Blizzcon Daily Interview!
*Crowd claps and cheers*
Mike: First of all, I would like to thank you all the visitors for coming here, and for the viewers that are viewing tonight in this show.
*Crowd cheers*
*Aham - Mike*
Mike: Yesterday, someone "terrible", demanded an interview from our studio. "We could not decline this very rare opportunity" *sarcastically said while fake smiling*.
Plus he would really burn us all and release a cataclysm in this world.
*Ahem*
It's the great and terrifying Deathwing The Destroyer!
*Crowd gasps*

*The building's began to shake*
Mike: Excuse us everyone, we're having some technical issues. And so, there will be another to join our interview tonight, The Last Guardian Medivh!
*Shaking stops*
*A crow flies from the windows and into a chair, transformed into Medivh*
*Crowd cheers*

*Roar*
*Wall breaks*
*Deathwing's head shows up*
*Crowd gasps*
Mike: Here he is everyone, Deathwing!
Deathwing: *Growl* I've been waiting for this.
Mike: Sure you do, you just burned a car lot this evening. So to ensure you won't burn anyone tonight, we have the Last Guardian here to watch over you as we interview.
Medivh: ...
Deathwing: Grrrrr...
Mike: A little quiet there, but we shall begin.

It's a bit a rough : P

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
...but promising.:thumbs_up:

Nice start. Personalities and points of views sure will be strongly expressed here. No doubt it will lead to a much heated debate (pun intended).

A fictional character named Mike Morhaim(!) is a fun and clever idea too. Looks like a witty host, btw. It sure will help with such two guests.

I am dying to read what your take will be on them. Do you already have a general idea of what will happen, or do ideas come as writing progresses?

I also see you seem to have left out the Daval Prestor idea for now.
Wondering how this will all unfold...

Oh btw, I have updated OP a few days ago, with a subtitled interview, as well as a link to the interview as plain text. It helped me get more of Smaug's jokes; might help others too.

Level 24
Nah I'm not good at this stuff much, I failed to make the host having a much more strong feel and presence.
Whilst the details are too rough, I actually just post this so others may modify it and becomes better.

The idea is that, make the start a little more funny, then Mike interviews DW from his past, how he starts dismantling the Alliance, how clever he is, how happy he was at the Day of Dragons, how he felt after he was smite into the Maelstrom by the green guy, etc.
Then he goes angry due to personal feelings, Medivh goes pew pew boom! Turns into battlefield, Cataclysm begins, "We'll be right back!"

That kinda idea, though it's hard to act them. I actually read DW was much more clever and cunning before DotD, as he started infiltrating the human kingdoms and fueling the hatred between, in his guise as Daval, so yeah, once interview starts, he transforms into Daval I guess. It's a little hard, and that's why I hope someone modifies the interview.
:D

Level 21
Somehow I expect Đeathwing posts on WoW forum years ago to be as close as Deathwing interview can get.

And really Deathwing is just yet another example of the one of few characters Blizzard can remake over and over. Good guy that becomes insane and gets killed ( often but not always by WoW players). Wasn't the first and most certainly will not be the last remake of same character blizzard has been making for years. This type of character appears in almost every Blizzard game.

I did like Deathwing in Warcraft era but when WoW came and the "Old Gods are behind everything" thing. He was just a shell of his potential in Cataclysm.

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Somehow I expect Đeathwing posts on WoW forum years ago to be as close as Deathwing interview can get.

Please see here for the full, main thread.

Remnants of a few other threads involving Đeathwing, may be easily accessed from here:
Đeathwing — Warcraft Wiki (in Russian)

...and for everyone's reading pleasure, here is a fun little discussion about the character:
Lore Lovers - The scourge

And really Deathwing is just yet another example of the one of few characters Blizzard can remake over and over. Good guy that becomes insane and gets killed ( often but not always by WoW players). Wasn't the first and most certainly will not be the last remake of same character blizzard has been making for years. This type of character appears in almost every Blizzard game.

I did like Deathwing in Warcraft era but when WoW came and the "Old Gods are behind everything" thing. He was just a shell of his potential in Cataclysm.
:thumbs_up:
+rep

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thanks. I simply googled for Đeathwing; nothing difficult.
I thought these posts were all interesting to share, as well as fun to read.

Currently reading the big WoW thread. rotfl. He who controls the Spice Ponies, controls the [WoW] universe.

Even if Đeathwing had indeed owned ponies, no-one would have been given any.
...for I highly suspect they possibly taste better than cows. :xxd:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
(note: throwing a bunch of raw ideas here, which might even contradict themselves)

Deathwing stating his own point of view on what happened previously in the WCU is a good idea imho. It allows for a twisted and entertaining retelling of past events. After all, Warcraft is all about points of views.

The Smaug interview already shows the way imho.
A fictional interview of any Blizzard character should have connections to:
- the character's personality and backstory
- the real world (cultural jokes mainly, just to stay safe...)
- the making of the video games
- the relationships with Blizzard (assuming characters are also autonomous entities here)

Watching rl staged interviews might help provide fun bits and pieces. Please see excerpts from this one as an example:

Now, with a (very) warped sense of perception, one might see:
- references to security on Deathwing's arrival
- seriousness being seen as funny by the reader
- Deathwing not caring that much about questions ("I came to make *my* point")
- him being called a grumpy guy ("what makes you think so?")
- Medivh / 'Morhaim' mocking him by implicitly comparing him to a chicken ("What have you just done with your arms?") ("Chickenwing")
- questions about how he manages to fly and manoeuver efficiently (in WCII, dragons have to be spell-enhanced to be quick and deadly)
- a reference to Goblin Zeppelins not needing magic to fly ("flying machines? hah!")
- what he describes as people's only thoughts when he redecorates ("sh*t I'm dying")
- questions about a WC4 video game ("soon(tm)")
- questions about a new WC movie ("when it's done") and whether or not he will be in it ("aren't people supposed to like movies with adamantium and other stuff in it?")

Regarding Blizzard, how he might possibly resent not being the focus of attention (not very much in-character but hey!)
- he is not part of the WC1 video game
- only a picture of him appears on the back cover of the French PC version (which btw seems to be very ill-informed about the game) - we may jokingly infer he was supposed to be more prominently seen
- no FMV of him in the PC Dos version of BDP
- Blizzard made his character far too much two-dimensional in WCII (pun, since it is a 2D game)
- he may claim he succeeded in having WC Adventures:LotC cancelled, because of blatant inaccuracies in his character's portrayal (notably the hookah stuff)
- 'Morhaim' remembering him, the most powerful artifact in the whole universe is an eraser, and he can use it to make him disappear from the whole WCU if he wants to. Or retcon/reboot the whole franchise, without him in it ("*that* should keep you in line")
- Deathwing stating that "even if my character disappears for good, my voice shall still be heard" (referring to Michael McConnohie here)
- him saying to 'Morhaim' "Your voice now sounds more and more familiar to me". (both a warning and a pun to the reader).

If Deathwing is kind of a dragon actor, some parallels to previous dragon movies can be made:
- how he liked the Vermithrax Pejorative character from Dragonslayer (and also what happens to Princess Elspeth), but hates the film's title.
- How 'Armageddon' or 'Reign of Fire' are good movie titles (but the latter still was not up to expectations, despite good ideas in it).
- how he thought DragonHeart was a mockery ("do I sound like some Scottish guy?") (which is a double pun here)
- how he turned down playing as an extra in D&D

We may indeed infer it is *this* interview which is responsible for the events in Cataclysm. The voices in his head would also be the echoes of the interview, in Deathwing's tortured mind.

Phew, I am so wordy...
Do you think there is possibly one idea or two worth salvaging here?

Level 24
Lmao, I actually have ideas in your ideas, but words to use are rather hard depending on what character that you acted.
For example, Deathwing is the grumpy type, so you yourself must type his lines the grumpy way, maybe include jokes
Also there's Morhaim, as a host, being lively and curious and what a host does,

And then Medivh, I actually don't know much of his personality, seeing the Warcraft Movie, his' rather mysterious and psychopathic in my view, which is what I only know about him.

Let's see, I guess my preferred setting would be the Hollywood place, in some (non-existant) building that hosts Morhaim's show. From what I've seen in most interview shows, they're mostly night, so the time would be night.
Ah enough of that. There were these lines I thought of: ;P
Mature content and words.

(Morhaim) "So, if you were to have sex, which would you choose? Alextrasza or Ysera, and how would you feel?"
(Deathwing) "Sex?! Bah! I would pick both of them, I would let them suck my big burning dick! until their mouths and vaginas are melted. And I'll do it every night as they lay my childrens.
And maybe, for the first time, I would understand that word *happiness* and *joy*, Yes!

XD

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Lmao, I actually have ideas in your ideas,
That is the idea. :grin:

No need for something fully written imho. We are merely toying with how jokes and references can blend together. Other Hive members may wish to submit their own bits and pieces, too. It is all part of the fun.

Ah enough of that. There were these lines I thought of: ;P
Mature content and words. XD

:eekani:
hmmm... Maybe we can save this one for another, future made-up interview with Dr. Ruth as second guest.

However, Deathwing could eventually confess he has the "hots" for Vermithrax Pejorative ("For some reason, I still find the character's personality and motivations to be... interesting.")

Vermithrax Pejorative is 40 feet (12 meters) long, with a wingspan of 90 feet (27 meters).

Deathwing was designed by Blizzard with the idea that he had a wingspan of 1,200 feet (365 meters).
Unofficially, he might possibly be 354 feet (108 meters) long, with a height of 91 feet (28 meters).
Well, sometimes size does matter.

...but like the original Kong character, I would expect Deathwing's size to somewhat vary, depending on specific needs (story-wise, as well as gameplay-wise).

Level 21
"Puny mortals! I have had many names throughout history, all of them spoken with dread: Neltharion, Xaxas, and many more. Yet you shall know me best as Deathwing, for so I am! I am the bane of life, the darkness within history, the lord of death, the master of destruction. And I tell you now, and so it is true, that this world is mine!"
~ Deathwing, Beyond the Dark Portal

For a mute Deathwing sure talks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.