• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is the maximum map size for good stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi, I've read several places now that 480x480 map size with lots of details like doodads etc are too unstable and heavy for a 4v4 multiplayer map I want to create. Because it doesn't matter how strong your PC is, it's the game itself that's the problem right?

What would be the biggest map size I can go for, while still keeping the stability and smooth gameplay? I think I want to go with 288x288 or higher

Thanks in advance.

Level 18
I have played few 480x480 maps with LOTS of units and doodads and experienced no lag or spikes. It's all about the coding and how efficient it is (most likely, some things are gonna cause lag no matter what because Wc3 engine can't handle that).

Level 23
it doesnt matter how big the map is. I could lag you out completly with 100 KB map, while you have maps like Dota or Gaias which are nearing 8 MB and they dont lag almost at all.

It really depends on how much shit you try to stick into user's screens, how good their graphics cards are, and also as BloodDrunk said, how efficient your triggering is, and how badly you leak

Level 9
it doesnt matter how big the map is. I could lag you out completly with 100 KB map, while you have maps like Dota or Gaias which are nearing 8 MB and they dont lag almost at all.

It really depends on how much shit you try to stick into user's screens, how good their graphics cards are, and also as BloodDrunk said, how efficient your triggering is, and how badly you leak

I was just going to type this, until this post loaded.

Level 3
More polys and particles are always going to put more strain on the GPU, no matter what engine you're using. You could have a million units with a one-poly model on screen at once and it'd still be less costly than a single unit with a billion-poly model. Granted, that's a gross simplification as a million units means a millions objects that have to pathfind, be pathfound around, check collisions, check damage, regen, attacking, etc. but that's not GPU anyway, though something to still be very aware of.

So, yes, a scene with less to render will be faster than a scene with more.

Status
Not open for further replies.