• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What if a fantasy world had an industrial revolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
This is a concept I've had in my head for about a year now; I was using it in a (now dead) project outside of WC3, and kinda forgot about it when the project died.

It's a pretty simple idea at heart, but there's a lot of elaboration. It stems from the question: have you ever wondered what would happen if a fantasy, magical world underwent an Industrial Revolution?

Magic:
Magic in this setting takes the form of a kind of mist called Essence. Raw essence is a gold mist. It occurs naturally along Ley Lines which traverse the surface of the planet like a web. Concentration is particularly strong at Ley Nodes, or where multiple Ley Lines intersect.

The origin of life in this world is derived from Essence. The primary theory is that, in high enough concentrations, life begins to appear in the form of anomalies in raw essence. These anomalies start out as little amoeba-like floaters that swarm in pockets of concentrated essence (sort of like fissures at the bottom of the ocean). In massive concentrations, such as rifts or other disturbances, these anomalies can actually coalesce into larger forms or spirits. Spirits are like ghosts; they are partially sentient, they can interact with the world around them, and they look just like clouds of essence; however, they are generally perceived to look like animals or humans.

Even at high concentrations of essence, anomalies are still ethereal, tied to the ethereal plane. Thus they cannot move too far from their point of origin on the material plane. They are also still made of essence, not flesh. The theory is that life can be created under particular circumstances involving very high concentrations of essence around a rift in close proximity to certain organic chemicals when said rift is closed after anomalies are formed, severing their ties to the ethereal plane.

Humans:
100 years before the setting, humans' civilization was very similar to that of any other fantasy setting. Castles, wizard academies, cathedrals, dark fortresses, etc. There were wizards who shaped raw essence out of the air into fireballs and lightning and all that stuff. Between then and now, however, human civilization went through an industrial revolution.

Some important guy invented a machine called a ley tap which sucked raw essence out of the air and bottled it in canisters. This allowed raw essence to be manipulated mechanically. Early uses for raw essence were as fuel in machines, crude bombs, and sources of light.

Raw essence, however, is very unstable. It tended to have unpredictable intensities, ranging from fizzling out to exploding. Therefore it wasn't a reliable source of power at all. Some other important guy invented a mechanism called the refinery which was a series of machines, including a ley tap, which harvested and processed raw essence, removing its impurities, and then bottled it. This new essence was dubbed pure essence and took the form of a white mist.

Civilization as of the present setting uses pure essence as a power source for just about everything. Lights, machines, vehicles, weapons, it's basically like electricity and oil combined. Refineries have been set up and monopolized by corporations all over the land. Wizards have become a thing of the past, as magic users now use canisters of essence to power guns, to heal wounds, and do everything wizards did before with much less training.

Where you stand:

The main character I'd envisioned was a low-ranking member of one particular corporation, the Nexus Co., which controlled about a third of the world's refineries. The main "enemy" was a corrupt totalitarian government which also controlled a lot of refineries as well as a massive military, and was threatening to take over the Nexus Co. The Nexus Co. was, therefore, building an army to ward off the government's forces. The protagonist goes on a mission to rediscover lost masters of wizardry and use their techniques to defeat the government's technological army. Or something like that.

There's a lot more elaboration but thats all that really needs to be written down. Thoughts?
:vw_unimpressed:

Level 15
What if a fantasy world had an industrial revolution?

Final Fantasy, that's what

I really like the setup EXCEPT for the protagonist.

A corporation that controls a third of the world's energy production seems to fit more on the 'evil' side. One because it's very large and powerful, and most of the time we like our heroes to not have any powerful allies (therefore they must rely on their own strength). Two because it's a CORPORATION, and businesses tend to do unethical/immoral things for a larger profit.

But anyway, those are just my thoughts. Cool idea btw.

Level 36

A corporation that controls a third of the world's energy production seems to fit more on the 'evil' side. One because it's very large and powerful, and most of the time we like our heroes to not have any powerful allies (therefore they must rely on their own strength). Two because it's a CORPORATION, and businesses tend to do unethical/immoral things for a larger profit.

Yeah playing the good guy is boring. The main character would have both positive and negative alignments.

Also, never played final fantasy.

Level 27

just Play fable III it says enough :p
You all are wrong. Arcanum, that's what would happen.

Of course in Arcanum (Btw created by same guy as Fallout 1 and 2, you can call it Fallout 2 in fantasy/steampunk setting with lots of immprovements) it's more about the conflict of technology which exploits laws of nature, and magic which bends the laws. But still, that's the first thing that comes in my mind when I see or hear about steampunk fantasy.

Well, I like the idea. I always lack guns and other technological equipment :)goblin_boom:) in fantasy universes, plus I just low all those steampunk contraptions...

Level 5

Fable... Of course, Fable doesn't have the oddity and eccentricity of FF, am I right?

Level 4
Me and my friends have been doing steampunk-fantasy world RPs for years now, dating back to when we first did the Rune Knights of Einland. Personally I prefer it when guns cannot progress too far because of magic making other weapons easier to be lethal.

One of my favourite fantasy worlds of all time in the books of "The Recluce Saga", magic actually hinders gunpowder based technology and other factors slow down the progression of machines, giving the world a nice balance by the last timeframe experienced in the books.

Honestly anything other than vanilla system magic that isn't directly based off it appeals to me. I hate the idea of mana pools too.

Level 5
Fantasy + Early Industrial Revolution = Fullmetal Alchemist, His Dark Materials series, and practically all steampunk

Fantasy + quasi-modern Industrial Period = FFVII, Avatar, Indiana Jones

Fantasy + very advanced tech = Scifi along the lines of Star Trek

Fantasy + Transhumanist Industrial Period = Serial Experiments Lain and a good deal of cyberpunk in general

Fantasy world embedded in the real world = Harry Potter

Fantasy world embedded in a dream = Inception

Fantasy world based on a Lovecraftian acid trip = Event Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.