• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What game should I get on GOG.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
My wife bought me Worms 2 off of GOG.com for my birthday, and sadly, the stupid game won't work on modern computers no matter what I've tried. So I asked for a refund, only to have them say that the game's requirements were clearly on the page and they could only give me site money credit that would expire in a year.

That was a few months ago, and I realized I'm just going to forget and let the money go to waste unless I decide quickly what to get. I want to know what fun old game I should get on the game. They have a 30-day return policy for credit, so maybe I can try a few of your suggestions out.

Some games I already have from GOG.com are:
  • Populous: The Beginning
  • Lords of Magic
  • Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete (best game ever, aside from Warcraft III)
  • Heroes of Might and Magic II
Apologies in advance if I shoot down your suggestion for paltry reasons... I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to computer games. Even more so now that I'm a husband and father and have hardly any time to invest into gaming. So I want to make sure my choice is one I'll actually get value out of.

What suggestions do you have? (Make sure it's available on GOG before posting)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete (best game ever, aside from Warcraft III)
Solid choice.

Well, Westwood's "Nox" is a great game. I would also recommend Firefly Studios' "Stronghold Crusader". Both good old games :)

Nice avatar. I remember Astral from H3 ;) Although I would always choose Solmyr when playing Tower. That chain lightning is a great starter spell.

Level 12
Nox actually looks amazing... How have I never heard of it?
I guess I should also save some time by listing the old games I've already bought on Steam (I love Stronghold):
  • TitanQuest
  • Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold 2, 3, and Legends
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe
  • Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition (a gift... I've tried to get into it, but I just can't seem to. Maybe nostalgia is required)
  • The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2
  • Commander Keen 4
  • Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold 2, 3, and Legends
If you want to get any of these, I HIGHLY suggest you stay away from 3. It's just terrible.
Bad gameplay combined with countless bugs. Waste of money and time.

Stronghold 2, Crusader 2 and Legends aren't THAT good, but also not THAT bad, though I'd
still highly suggest Crusader and the original Stronghold instead.

Level 19
age of mythology...

I can't believe you've played all those shitty games and yet you don't think populous: the beginning is the all-time best game in existence!!!!

I just wish the reworked it for the present graphics

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Aside from Dungeon Keeper (Gold Edition), I would also suggest Theme Hospital.

There is an unofficial patch for Theme Hospital here:
http://hospital.ragondin-earth.org/

You only need the file THPatch.rar. Please be sure to overwrite the original Sound-1.dat file (located in the Sound/Data folder of the installed game), with the fixed one included in the unofficial patch.

There are other games worth buying imho, but maybe you want to tell us a bit more about what kind of game you would like to play, @Abelhawk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.