• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

What do you think of refresh?

What do you think?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I do believe auto-refresh works in the matter of bringing a game hosted by you to the top of a game list. I think Blizzard just says it's a myth because they want to discourage the use of third party tools.

Level 11
http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=98020
This boils down to a simple thing:
Does a game get re-listed at the top of the list after a "We're full" then "Slots are available" packets are sent?

A rather extensive set of tests would be required, but one could rather conclusively find out if one was so inclined. (Or rather, many could find out. Unless you have 3+ test machines running WC3 concurrently.)

I, for one, use banlists auto-refresher. If for nothing else, to make people STFU with the "omg RF slots" spam. That annoys the crap out of me more than waiting for people.

Level 15
It makes a difference. Try sitting in a game for an hour not rfing. Not many people would join. On the other hand, refreshing brings people in.

This seems to be how it work in my experience as well. (At least it seems to work this way)

Level 24
I've heard that refreshing moves a game to the top of the list, and in my experience it does help when compared to not refreshing.

By the way, blowing into game console slots isn't just superstition; it dates back to the era of cartridge gaming, where dust (mostly) in either the cartridge or cartridge slot could interfere with the console reading the cartridge properly.

Level 11
By the way, blowing into game console slots isn't just superstition; it dates back to the era of cartridge gaming, where dust (mostly) in either the cartridge or cartridge slot could interfere with the console reading the cartridge properly.

That's a superstition. It comes from the NES mostly, as it had many, many design issues which prevent games from loading properly.

Wikipedia said:
Dirty, aging, and bent connectors would often disrupt the timing, resulting in the blink effect. Alternatively, the console would turn on but only show a gray or green screen. Users attempted to solve this problem by blowing air onto the cartridge connectors, licking the edge connector, slapping the side of the system after inserting a cartridge, and/or cleaning the connectors with alcohol which, observing the back of the cartridge, was not endorsed by Nintendo. Many of the most frequent attempts to fix this problem ran the risk of damaging the cartridge and/or system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES

Level 11
blowing does work... simple dust... i droped one into a cat litter box when I was younger, stuck it in didn't work, had to get all the litter out then it worked, hence dirt/dust. You can't quote wiki and expect to be right... its a wiki, anyone can say anything.

With refreshing it seems unlikely that it does nothing. It's too big of a coincidence when your in there for 10 minutes and hardly anyone joins and you refresh and pow, 11 player full house.

Level 27
its a wiki, anyone can say anything.
Unless the article is locked because idiots were over-editing it.
But do they?
And then anyone can correct it.

I once set up a game to see if I could host, and finally after around 20 minutes or so, someone kindly flamed me that nobody could join and I should remove it from the list. Whatever that means.

Blizzard has motive to lie, but they would know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.