• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What do I need to know for a new map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi again everyone!
As some might know, I´ve been making a map of my own the last couple of weeks and are soon ready to start testing it out for real. However as this is my very first map I have NO idea what you need to do, what you should do not do and so on. My map is going to get alpha, beta and the whole greek alphabet-tested before I actually launch it officially but I want to know as much as possible before I do.

What is good to do before you actually launch it officially for example?

Btw, I am OFC going to mention everyone who helped me with the map in Credits (if allowed to).

Cheers everyone and happy holidays!

P.S please be aware I am a very much noob in WC3 editoring and launching so PLEASE be as thorough and detailed in your explainations as possible.

Level 24
*Whoops, didn't fully catch that you have "Made" the map, the leak info is highly relevant!

As for what to do, I would suggest calling some friends and doing a test run with them or ask for some playtesters.

But overall remember that your map will never be perfect, there will always be bugs, toss out ver 1.0a and you will get all the information you need.

Also if you plan on triggering anything, I wish I knew about them earlier...
LEAKS! [1]
LEAKS! [2]
LEAKS! [3]

Level 9
Yep, leak fixes, first and foremost.

Next, always bugtest your map. Preferably after adding new features to your map, so you can immediately know what went wrong.

Polish everything. Make sure your game is balanced and fair, get your tooltips neat and clean makeovers, no major spelling errors etc.

Level 20
If this is your first map, I think it would be best if you just made a thread about it in the Map Development forum and showed it to us. I'm saying this, because as a novice map maker, it might be really hard for you to assess which areas need improvements and we can't really say much without seeing the actual map.

Obviously, if you decide to do this, you're going to get some criticism - don't be discouraged by it! Everyone has to start somewhere and it doesn't really matter whether your first map is the best thing ever, but if you take the feedback that people will provide and use it to learn and grow as a map-maker. So, just be polite and if you run into some issues or critique that you don't quite understand, simply ask for clarification or tips on how to improve in that area. I'm pretty sure people will be more than willing to help you out, either by explaining things or pointing you to the guides that do just that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.