• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What Could Go Wrong If Campaign Has Multiple Races? What Are The Reasons To Split Campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Hello,

So far, the only reason I faced which pushed me to split campaign for each race is that I Might want to make the computer units cost no food. However, I recently learned a trigger to disable food all together:
  • Unit - Disable supply usage for No unit
So this is no longer a reason to me.

I would like to ask: what reasons are there that make splitting campaign according to race is necessary?
  1. Make AI food supply limitless. Can be solved through the above 1 trigger line.
  2. Maybe Adjusting stats in general? (attack CD dmg and HP)
  3. Easier to manage the so many imported files. Only applicable with campaigns with Huge reworks and imported data.
  4. Having a cool BackGround game screen and mini-map selection screen. Superficial and doesnt seem that important to me.
To me, most of these reasons are not important and so I dont see any reason so far to split my campaign (since my campaign is more or less just AI remake of original campaign)
What are your thoughts?

@Turnro @deepstrasz

Last edited:
Level 31
Hello,

So far, the only reason I faced which pushed me to split campaign for each race is that I Might want to make the computer units cost no food. However, I recently learned a trigger to disable food all together:
  • Unit - Disable supply usage for No unit
So this is no longer a reason to me.

I would like to ask: what reasons are there that make splitting campaign according to race is necessary?
  1. Make AI food supply limitless. Can be solved through the above 1 trigger line.
  2. Maybe Adjusting stats in general? (attack CD dmg and HP)
  3. Easier to manage the so many imported files. Only applicable with campaigns with Huge reworks and imported data.
  4. Having a cool BackGround game screen and mini-map selection screen. Superficial and doesnt seem that important to me.
To me, most of these reasons are not important and so I dont see any reason so far to split my campaign (since my campaign is more or less just AI remake of original campaign)
What are your thoughts?

@Turnro @deepstrasz

For me, there's only a couple of cases where I would consider splitting races is if you want players to play multiple races within the same campaign.

Let's say, for example, you want to have a lot of fancy unique custom races that each have their own interface and background music. The only way to achieve this is by overwriting the existing interface and music for the human/orc/undead/night elf races. Because the game was made to only support 4 playable races, this restricts you if you want more.

Another case is if you want these custom races to have unique building/summoning animations. Human and orc building animations are built into the models themselves, but undead and night elf animations come separately. How this works is you replace one of these building animations with a custom model of your own by overwriting the filepath. Again, you can only do this twice and restricts you from having unique building construction animations for a lot of races.

Other than that, there's no limit to how many custom races you can have especially if they are only AI based. You can have infinite custom units and even make AI scripts referring to those units.

Status
Not open for further replies.