• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What are the most uncommon Warcraft 3 hotkeys in your language?

Level 24
Hello, I'm making a system that selects a caster and auto-click its ability to the player can use it, I though that just by using the hotkey "Q" for the ability would be enough, but it wouldn't because someone could use grid bindings to accommodate it to a QWERTY keyboard and making "Q" the hotkey to move, so what hotkeys would be better to use?

Level 12
If you're just looking for something that isn't likely going to be used, I know you can use some special characters by shift+clicking in the object editor. I believe '?' was the one I tested, and I found that even though typing a question mark requires you to hold shift on a standard english keyboard, if you make '?' the hotkey you don't need to hit shift in-game.

For this, you might just google the common/uncommon letters of a language and then check the default hotkeys that Warcraft 3 uses and use any unused common keys.

A word of warning:
Players can always change your hotkeys to whatever they would like, overriding yours, unless they were triggered instead of hotkeyed and in that case they would be slow to respond.
For me, it's enough out of my control that the only thing I think is important is that the default hotkeys I make are useful, but not really worthwhile to put a ton of work into beyond the basics of being generally useful and not double-mapping a key for any units.

Level 24
If you're just looking for something that isn't likely going to be used, I know you can use some special characters by shift+clicking in the object editor. I believe '?' was the one I tested, and I found that even though typing a question mark requires you to hold shift on a standard english keyboard, if you make '?' the hotkey you don't need to hit shift in-game.
Is funny how put the "?" hotkey worked, but sadly it doesn't work for the ForceUIKey function I wanna use.
For this, you might just google the common/uncommon letters of a language and then check the default hotkeys that Warcraft 3 uses and use any unused common keys.
I think I will try this.

Level 18
Hopefully this isn't too off topic but IMO post-Reforged, everyone should just leave hotkeys default and everyone should set their own hot keys.

Just add this text file to your wc3 data folder, on my computer it's located here:
Code:
C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\Warcraft III\CustomKeyBindings

Attachments

• customkeys.txt
    288.1 KB · Views: 4
Level 12
Is funny how put the "?" hotkey worked, but sadly it doesn't work for the ForceUIKey
Ah, yes I should have mentioned that. I was foggy on the details because I tested it a while ago, but that's exactly what I wanted to do too, make hidden hotkeys so I could force UI. I couldn't find a way to make it work.
ForceUI only works for standard ASCII characters and it would seem only english letters. Can't remember if numbers worked, but I think they do not.

Level 12
If a person has that file in that directory on their computer, any hotkey/ability in that file will be overwritten, no matter what the map-maker intended it will overwrite it and allow the player to define their own hotkeys.

Take a look at the file, it has a certain syntax you have to follow, but that is what I was referring to when I said players can override your decision here anyway, so the best you can do is offer them a good default set of hotkeys, and they will always be able to redefine them.

Sadly, this also means you can never safely assume what abilities are bound to which hotkeys, even with the basic abilities such as attack/move/stop/hold-position/patrol/hero-abilities

Level 24
If a person has that file in that directory on their computer, any hotkey/ability in that file will be overwritten, no matter what the map-maker intended it will overwrite it and allow the player to define their own hotkeys.

Take a look at the file, it has a certain syntax you have to follow, but that is what I was referring to when I said players can override your decision here anyway, so the best you can do is offer them a good default set of hotkeys, and they will always be able to redefine them.

Sadly, this also means you can never safely assume what abilities are bound to which hotkeys, even with the basic abilities such as attack/move/stop/hold-position/patrol/hero-abilities
I knew what it does, I was asking with what objective is he passing me this specific file?, because he said that I should put it in my Documents directory, not import it to the map, so it would affect only to me and not to any player that plays the map and that is my issue, I wanna the hotkey I would use doesn't interfere with the hotkeys of the players.