• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What an Interesting Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Have a look here:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/warning-238091/

I just found it interesting that this thread was closed and the user was banned. Was it because he said negative things about moderators? Or was it because of his negative language?

Of course there are forum rules, but Gorillabull wasn't banned for his language:

i hope you get ip banned soon retard noob..

It is clearly offensive. So it must be the latter. Is it because he said something towards the moderators?

I mean no disrespect to the moderators. And I will not argue, but an explanation of your actions would be intriguing. Is it ok to censor or silence individuals? Was the decision made because his statement undermines your authority?

If anyone isn't seeing where this is going, this is like an analogy for the political world. I'm seeing a government silencing an individual in fear he or she will point out their corruption. Just an interest thread, and hopefully an answer from the mods.

Let's see.

The OP there just couldn't understand that Off-Topic was not meant for every stupid thought that comes to mind. There was SE for that, and it was just a mess, a playground for idiots of all sorts, attracting even more of them.
The OP couldn't handle the consequences, and continued spamming other threads with simply provoking posts towards Squiggy and Roland.

I guess it's a valid goal to not let Off-Topic suffer the same fate as SE, hm.

However, a definition of what's actually acceptable within Off-Topic might be overdue.
I understand it's difficult for people, especially new users, to understand where the (thin) line between nonsense and Off-Topic stuff is.

Oh, and by the way, this could/should have been posted in Staff Contact, or at least Site Discussion...

Level 16
Oh, and by the way, this could/should have been posted in Staff Contact, or at least Site Discussion...

Well, its just an interest thread, I don't mean too much by it as to post a complaint or anything. Regardless, it would be nice if a mod could provide an answer. I'll look into Site discussion next time. My bad.

Level 2
Hmm hmm
Just knowing he is DISOBEYING Squiggy warning (I often to use obey word, so just got wrong meaning, has edited)
Maybe he dont know if that was useless (his threads)

But can I say, I disagree
I see many thread like this, and I think those are meaningless (for me XD)
And.. How To Be A Noob is telling what we shouldnt do, so I like it XD
And he just got WRONG section for Be a Pro im Mirror Edge
Also Off Topic, For What, I think thats okay, why dont Squiggy answer it with some GOOD WORD?? He just confused why his thread is closed. And I bet he will STOP posting thread if he KNOW that

But the real SPAM is Mumbo Jumbo one
Well, thats only one

And Having Problem Studying is universal, MAYBE its closed because its too UNIVERSAL??

And I think Warning is his last word, talk it on public...
At least he is not INSULTING someone by PM

It is clearly offensive. So it must be the latter. Is it because he said something towards the moderators?

Most likely because the event that went unhandled was not reported. We're not exactly omnipresent, hence the Report buttons we allow users to use :V

-----------------------

You have to understand that it's not very nice to have to explain these things especially after the user was being a pest.

We don't ban people out of the blue, we have good reasons when we do it.

This user has spammed and created multiple threads with the sole purpose of either insulting users or speaking nonsense and he has continued to do it even after
being given warnings. He then came back with a multi-account only to post in his own threads, praise himself and call Squiggy a shit.

This thread does not serve any purpose. If you'd like to inquiry about the user's behavior (such as his spamming of pointless threads, irony intended), do so in http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact-692/ .

Do keep in mind that what mag said is true. We are not omnipresent and cannot be always monitoring people. This is mainly why the report tool (
report.gif
)exists.

Last edited:
One other point:

When you insult a moderator, the incident has already been reported because the staff knows that it happened the moment it happens,
so in general, if users aren't reporting rule-breaking incidents all the time, you end up with it being more likely for a user to get
an infraction for insulting a mod than for insulting a user.

This thread does not serve any purpose. If you'd like to inquiry about the user's behavior (such as his spamming of pointless threads, irony intended), do so in http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact-692/ .

Do keep in mind that what mag said is true. We are not omnipresent and cannot be always monitoring people. This is mainly why the report tool (
report.gif
)exists.

Yes, we all are not Omnipresent, and that include mods and admins.

Report button however, sometimes abused by some members, which is annoying as pest. Usually abused to report posts they didn't like, which is against the main idea of the button.

Most likely because the event that went unhandled was not reported. We're not exactly omnipresent, hence the Report buttons we allow users to use :V

-----------------------

You have to understand that it's not very nice to have to explain these things especially after the user was being a pest.

We don't ban people out of the blue, we have good reasons when we do it.

This user has spammed and created multiple threads with the sole purpose of either insulting users or speaking nonsense and he has continued to do it even after
being given warnings. He then came back with a multi-account only to post in his own threads, praise himself and call Squiggy a shit.
Yes, He ignore warning, thus the ban is issued out.
If mods and admins ban people without reason, that's again the site main purpose of gathering members who want to mod Warcraft 3 and StarCraft 2.

Well, the reason he got banned was that he told me to go fuck my mother.
That hurts a lot.

One other point:

When you insult a moderator, the incident has already been reported because the staff knows that it happened the moment it happens,
so in general, if users aren't reporting rule-breaking incidents all the time, you end up with it being more likely for a user to get
You imply that <Staff> equals <Member of Staff>, which is impossible.
There's no "Overmind" here, so you have to speak up yourself.
It's up to the Staff member and other users to report or do something about something like that, just as with everything else...
The only difference is that Staff members can deal with flamers and the like themselves, compared to "regular" users, who have to go through bureaucracy and shit to get their case processed.

The example you use is rather idiotic, because there's no reason to punish someone with an IP instead of neg-rep/whatever when it happens to a member of Staff as compared to it happening to a "regular" user (unless you feel the need to use your E-Penis and want to divide the user base/community).

One other point:

Yep, go to Infraction for Insulting Staffs :p
That's why insulting staff is more offensive than insulting members

They are seldom abused. Pretty much all the reports in the last couple of weeks were decent.

Not bad :thumbs_up:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Like I've said—for years now—, I prefer that a moderator moderates threads instead of locking them. On the other hand, I commented on the Chat, just now, that I've lost track of how many random or ulteriorly boredom-motivated topics I've seen posted recently.

As for the silencing users, I am against banning and also against silencing depending on the circumstances. If the user proved to be beyond reasoning—which is subjective, but given what Squiggy said, I'd definitely classify that as unreasonable—and, on top of that, went to defame Squiggy to give other people the wrong impression, then that definitely warrants a ban — in my view, no more than 1 month, though, and the user should definitely be able to ask to be unbanned earlier.

Level 16
Ok sweet. I was unaware the guy was abusing people externally from the thread I linked. Guess that answers my question.

Like I've said—for years now—, I prefer that a moderator moderates threads instead of locking them.

And yes, I completely agree. Sometimes I see threads not far from the top of the page and they are locked. I never understand why. Sometimes the topic changes slightly, but to be honest, discussions are sometimes interesting, and shouldn't be locked if it derails slightly from the topic.

In a nutshell, if everyone is happy talking/discussing in a thread, then I don't see a reason to lock it :)

Level 6
Who the fuck is that IvandAss-Ass-In?!?!
Okay, can I say, I have multi account, and in rarely use it
Ivadassassin is my account, but not this one
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/fak-you-rolan-n-squiggzy-238176/
Somebody want gave me bad reputation, the real one on that ass-ass should be banned too
You can track IP right?
Why dont you just do that to IvandAssAss-In???!?!?
He just create that account to....
Bah, stupid thing
Wth with all people in here?!!?!

Level 13
Well, he deserved the ban.

Would you like to read dumb threads like this, this or this bullshit on a daily base?
If so, go to 4chan or reddit.
I'm not going to justify this action (the ban) any further as it's completely legit and YOU PEOPLE of all should think before you post away.
I'm not closing threads for no apparent reason but FOR obvious reasons.
yeah, OT is supposed to be discussion for any...
here
Off-Topic This forum is reserved for any mumbo jumbo and hocus pocus, nonesense irrotence or your special interests that doesn't suit any other forum. The general site rules still apply however! Keep it clean!
but this guy didn't use this forum as discussion..
he use this forum to insult moderator (Squiggy) and his thread is has no purpose
and check this out.. did he want to open "studying session" in here? in hive? in OT? lol

Like I've said—for years now—, I prefer that a moderator moderates threads instead of locking them. On the other hand, I commented on the Chat, just now, that I've lost track of how many random or ulteriorly boredom-motivated topics I've seen posted recently.

As for the silencing users, I am against banning and also against silencing depending on the circumstances. If the user proved to be beyond reasoning—which is subjective, but given what Squiggy said, I'd definitely classify that as unreasonable—and, on top of that, went to defame Squiggy to give other people the wrong impression, then that definitely warrants a ban — in my view, no more than 1 month, though, and the user should definitely be able to ask to be unbanned earlier.
I'd like to re-use one of Pyramidhe@d's answers:
It all depends on what kind of moderator you want to be.

You can easily be an "opressor" (for various reasons), or you can take your time and motivation, trying to talk sense into people. The choice is yours.
I agree that it's highly preferred to talk to people about what they have been doing "wrong" - much good can come from that approach.
Locking threads without even stating a reason is weak (unless there's an obvious trend). Such measures demand justification of <some> sort (even if it's "This thread is bullshit" ).

I am unsure what you mean when you say "silencing" a user. A banned user can still voice his case in Staff Contact, as far as I know, which opens the opportunity to sort things out properly.
Only few people desperately cry out for a banishment from the forums. Those who do, show obvious symptoms, the others deserve the benefit of a doubt.

Level 6
Who the fuck is that IvandAss-Ass-In?!?!
Okay, can I say, I have multi account, and in rarely use it
Ivadassassin is my account, but not this one
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/fak-you-rolan-n-squiggzy-238176/
Somebody want gave me bad reputation, the real one on that ass-ass should be banned too
You can track IP right?
Why dont you just do that to IvandAssAss-In???!?!?
He just create that account to....
Bah, stupid thing
Wth with all people in here?!!?!

Anybody see that???

Status
Not open for further replies.