• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WCIII 1.31 installation folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
It's probably in within your Documents. Try looking for something like Warcraft III PTR.

Nothing inside Documents directory, only a folder called "Warcraft III Public Test" with 2 sub-folders: "Errors" and "Logs" that doesn't contain the program. During the game installation, the setup file says "Install Location: C:/Program Files/Warcraft III Public Test". If i click "change" to set another path then the setup says "invalid installation folder". If i leave the default installation path, once i ceck manually i find only the path "Program Data/Blizzard Entertainment/Warcraft 3 Public Test that only contains 2 .w3k files called "roc" and "user", both 1 KB

Level 4
Thanks, but once inside i have 3 sub directories: "Data", "x86" and "x86_64" none of them containing the "map" folder as on the older version. How this works?
www-jpg.321792

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I guess x86 is for 32bit OS and x86_64 for x64 operating systems. I mean, the performance works better on each depending on your processor.
If I'm not mistaken. @Dr Super Good knows such details.
x86 is for 32bit OS (supported on 64bit OSes via compatibility mode) while x86-64 is for 64bit OS. Technically there are processors which do not support 64bit OS, but they are either stupidly old or so weak one should not be using them anyway. If you buy an I3, I5, I7 or I9 from Intel or a Ryzen/ThreadRipper from AMD both will support x86-64 and are designed around it.

All modern processors are x86-64 because it is inherently faster and needed to efficiently support the large memory amounts of modern systems. There are cases it can be slower, but that is often worth the trade off for the much larger virtual memory size limit and is at most a few percent anyway. Like wise a lot of applications will run faster thanks to x86-64's vector instruction set support (optional with x86, mandatory in x86-64) as well as more registers and large registers with appropriate manipulation instructions.
Thanks, but once inside i have 3 sub directories: "Data", "x86" and "x86_64" none of them containing the "map" folder as on the older version. How this works?
The maps folder in 1.30.4 is a dummy anyway. The maps are inside and used from the CASC archive and were only exposed for compatibility with the old editor. The new editor detects these maps inside the CASC archive, like StarCraft II, and as such the folder is no longer needed.

User maps go in the appropriate folder in Documents. In this case Documents\Warcraft III Public Test\Maps.

Level 4
Well, you can place maps which aren't Blizzard marked in there (I mean, external to the CASC) and run them. You don't have to put them through Users/Documents like the campaigns.

i'm pretty confused about that.

User maps go in the appropriate folder in Documents. In this case Documents\Warcraft III Public Test\Maps.[/COLOR]

can't find such "maps" directory, and i think i'mhaving installation related problems:
error.jpg
error.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well, you can place maps which aren't Blizzard marked in there (I mean, external to the CASC) and run them. You don't have to put them through Users/Documents like the campaigns.
Likely an oversight.
can't find such "maps" directory, and i think i'mhaving installation related problems:
What partition format is your C drive? Use Disk Management to check. It should be NTFS for Windows.

Also your available space is very small. I would suggest removing other applications as you cannot do much with <6GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.