• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 TFT, unique patching error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I am making this thread because I have a problem with patching my Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne game, and I didn't find an answer by looking anywhere else. I'm hoping one of you can help me.

First, I have legitimate CD copies of RoC (Reign of Chaos) and TFT (The Frozen Throne) both. I still have the original CD key for RoC, but I lost the one for TFT, so I had to get a new one from a friend. He confirmed that the TFT key works, though; and it does, because I was able to install TFT just fine with it.

The problem is that I cannot patch the game. This is not a registry error, however; at least, not one that I can see. What happens is, whenever I try to download the patch either from battle.net or manually with the 1.26a full universal patcher, I get precisely this error message:

Blizzard PrePatch v2.70 compiled on Jul 7 2003
This program patches Warcraft 3

Log created at 4:27 pm on 03/26/2015

ERROR: unable to create file 'e:\program files\warcraft iii\BNUpdate.exe'
The system cannot find the path specified.

RESULT: Prepatch failed

The problem is, I don't HAVE a drive E -- I only have a drive C, as well as a drive D for my disc drive. I downloaded the patcher directly from the internet and ran it, and still, for some reason, it thinks that WC3 is pathed to an entirely different hard drive. The only reason I can think of that this would happen is that the RoC key was used on a second hard drive at one point, but that drive has long since been removed. However, I never had a chance to uninstall WC3 from that hard drive, 'cause it got too old and died on its own. Still, if that was the problem, I shouldn't have even been able to use my RoC CD key to install the original game today, 'cause that is the same key I've had for almost ten years.

Also, yes, I did try and uninstall/reinstall the game. That didn't work. I also tried re-downloading the 1.26a full universal patcher. That didn't work either.

Help?

Last edited:
Level 3
Thank you! I was able to fix this problem by downloading a .zip version of 1.26a and extracting that into my WC3 folder, replacing the original files with the new ones. Issue solved! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.