• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Wc3 Size Limit(host) & Adding Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Back in the day i know it was like 4 or 6 or something Edit: TO HOST A MAP right? basically making the map worth making(lol)
but since reforged im seeing a lot about like 230? 300+? is this simply for reforged alone?

what is non-reforged limit (i prefer non-reforged)

Also trying to understand this to decide if adding a couple background music tracks to the map would be worth it or not

Last edited:
Level 9
or you saying then its like 200-300 then basically (or wahtever number i read online about reforged)

p.s. which if it is is absolutely insane lmao. if you dont use crazy HD reforged models and stay in classic you can make anything basically. and the map size is huge (which is a huge bonus). almost like blizzard wants to farm map ideas and steal them for content because they haven't released anything original in almost 20 years

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
what is version 1.32?
If you're using BNET then you're on the latest version of Warcraft 3 (1.32). You can't launch the game from the BNET app without being patched to the latest version. Once in-game, you have the choice to use either SD or HD graphics (although some maps may enforce one or the other), but that's the only thing that will be different.

Level 9
If you're using BNET then you're on the latest version of Warcraft 3 (1.32). You can't launch the game from the BNET app without being patched to the latest version. Once in-game, you have the choice to use either SD or HD graphics (although some maps may enforce one or the other), but that's the only thing that will be different.
and from what i've read blizzard changed the size to like 280 or 300 or so right? which is huge and basically means you no longer need to worry about the playable-online-with-others-file-size-problem (that use to be 4 or whateveR)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
and from what i've read blizzard changed the size to like 280 or 300 or so right? which is huge and basically means you no longer need to worry about the playable-online-with-others-file-size-problem (that use to be 4 or whateveR)
It may not be practical to host larger maps though. 300MB might take over an hour for some players to download. Not everyone has 8mbit+ internet.

Level 9
It may not be practical to host larger maps though. 300MB might take over an hour for some players to download. Not everyone has 8mbit+ internet.
ya i think this one map i got that i literally PACKED full of custom models (basically replacing every single unit in the game LOL not using any default war3 unit models) was only like 90-100mb so i cant imagine how anyone would reasonably reach 200-300+

Level 18
the music file size could be larger than the rest of the map. I had an hour long play list, a few of my map's players were complaining about file size/DL time. I have really slow internet but it still only takes 1-2 mins to download 60mb. so I removed all the custom music (except for the cool custom intro song :grin:), it cut the file size in more than half! and put the default music on a random loop, which doesn't seem to increase file size.

Reforged with classic graphics has the same map size limit as with reforged graphics.

Old 1.26 warcraft has about 8mb limit I think, but it's possible to have more, my 1.26 map is 15mb, but won't run in the multiplayer lobby on 1.26.
Actually an edited gamel.dll or WFE tool has unlocked easily up to 1GB if not more multiplayer hostable file size, only problem is every player requires this file or tool for before reforged. One step further is local files which is no file size into the map but instead onto your players pc meaning no more duplicate files hogging up their computers disk space.

It was amazing enough many people used an edited game.dll so local files will likely fail for many players due to their inability to press more then a couple buttons at a time. I feel like its rumored the max file size for reforged is a bit past 300mb, I remember a digimon rpg that managed to surpass that size and still be hostable.

Status
Not open for further replies.