• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3-maps.ru resource theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I dare say that there also are Russian WarCraft III players - I also dare say that being such,
they would be more interested in searching on a russian site than an english one.
And I also dare say that maybe not all Russian can speak English good enough to find what they
look for.
I remember reading something about models from @General Frank being uploaded there with proper
credit
given.

I summon thee @JesusHipster, to correct me if I am wrong.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
It looks like most if not all models have the respective author credited.
Exactly.

However, I do not know if there are links pointed towards this/our site.
Yeah, but I don't think we could enforce that if we tried. Same for uploading the stuff.
Not worth the trouble either, imo. Especially with proper credit given to the authors.

We can't enforce anything on other sites. We can only speculate that we are given proper credit.
I personally don't have anything against it, in the case that proper credit is given.
I only have problems when the uploader pretends to have made the model.

EDIT: @Shar Dundred is right. I asked @JesusHipster to help me upload stuff on xgm.ru in 2016.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I dare say that there also are Russian WarCraft III players - I also dare say that being such,
they would be more interested in searching on a russian site than an english one.
I guess Google Translate and derivatives are too annoying to use.
We can't enforce anything on other sited. We can only speculate that we are given proper credit.
At least, someone who can get to contact them, could friendly tell them to also insert a link to the resource here or at least mention from what site the resource is taken from.

I guess Google Translate and derivatives are too annoying to use.

At least, someone who can get to contact them, could friendly tell them to also insert a link to the resource here or at least mention from what site the resource is taken from.

But @JesusHipster is only on XGM.ru to my knowledge. I don't think he roams wc3-maps.ru.

Level 34
Nah, those guys are school boys. They have adopted the credit author policy somehow though.

Yeah, also, that's a weird local thing - to gather stuff and upload it into one site. That's weird and I don't get it. Maybe for traffic though, but regular users seem to do it as well. There also were some weird-ass Vkontakte groups a couple years ago that did the same thing.

There is an e-mail of one of admins in the "contact" section in the bottom of the site: [email protected]

Thats not even a serious site. It's akin to usual russian pirate sites. Russia is a big country and there is nothing wrong if you don't know english even for younger generation. Same in China. So somebody has to provide them stuff. Like it is for us hard to get stuff that was produced by Russians and Chinese since we don't know their languages. I don't mind those sites, at best it can act as backup if something terrible happens to hive (or if the author goes full emo mode :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.